• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So you think you're ready to feed a baby bird

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
This has been my life the last few days. Actually feeding times.
received_294028171673961.jpeg
IMG_20200806_135128.jpg

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
No thank you. :)

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
That baby! :heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've done that but never had to feed through the night since I generally pulled at 3-4 weeks of age and mom and dad were good when it came to feeding and caring
for their babies. I also kept logs with info about amount of formula eaten and birds' weights.
Spee was only @2 days old when I found him but after doing some research online I found out that baby sparrows don't
have to be feed during the night and early AM hours.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I've done that but never had to feed through the night since I generally pulled at 3-4 weeks of age and mom and dad were good when it came to feeding and caring
for their babies. I also kept logs with info about amount of formula eaten and birds' weights.
Spee was only @2 days old when I found him but after doing some research online I found out that baby sparrows don't
have to be feed during the night and early AM hours.
Usually I don't get them this young but Mom decided to ignore this one and concentrate on the older ones so here we are. The little one is up to ten grams from six. Slow crop is resolved and we are down to six feedings a day rather than 11 (I didn't post that page). So it will all be worth it in the end.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Usually I don't get them this young but Mom decided to ignore this one and concentrate on the older ones so here we are. The little one is up to ten grams from six. Slow crop is resolved and we are down to six feedings a day rather than 11 (I didn't post that page). So it will all be worth it in the end.
How many days difference between the youngest one and the others?
It's great that the little one is gaining weight and no more issues with slow crop.

Good that you created this thread. Some people just want to jump into breeding and don't realize that it can be very time consuming and tiring especially if mom and/or dad don't care for the babies. People have to be prepared to pull those babies and feed them throughout the night like you are doing. There can also be issues along the way such as slow crop and anyone considering breeding needs to be prepared for that.

Last edited:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I got the eggshell DNA back and she's a girl. Her name is Gypsy and she is up to 29 grams now.

IMG_20200814_193546.jpg

I am able to keep her with her sister in the same brooder now that she has grown up a bit. No more lonely baby. Her sisters name is Kiwi.

IMG_20200815_092832.jpg