• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So who's got food dunkers here?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I was just wondering who else had food dunkers on AA. Squeeky is notorious for this. He loves to make soup out of his pellets lol. The seeds he dunks in too. It makes his water so gross looking that I change it for him 2x a day. Thank goodness I use ACV which keeps bacteria from growing.

TwilightsImprint

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Erica
Aros loves this too. He dunks his pellets, his seeds, and pieces of his toys and rope perch that he carries over just to watch them absorb the jello that he's created. He gets especially upset when he does this on his play stand and five minutes later i've replaced it as he loves more than anything to put in his bead and paper bow ties to watch the paper get all gooey. Currently he's just put in a whole almond and is bobbing for millet and giving me the "mommy I dare you to change this water" look and I know he's sitting there contemplating how he will punish me if i do change his water.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
I have to do water changes twice a day also Miriam, if not three sometimes with Coco Bean he can't seem to eat without first dunking each piece of food.

My Quaker does dunking also, but noy like that Coco Bean.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Gwen makes a mess of her water as well as the cage bars around her water dish and at our old house the walls had splatter marks all over them as well.
I also offer her a water tube so if she wants fresh water she has it. But sometimes I'll find a piece of buckwheat in that too.:lol:

Sarin

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
Koba dunks her pellets all the time. She's a lot cleaner about it now though then she used to be. :D

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Oh yes, Miss Ruby is a big dunker. She especially likes to make soup of anything bread related or anything cut in big chunks.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
I prefer ranch myself :)

Actaully I think Solo would also if given the opportunity.:D

There must be a reason for dunking, Solo and Bobo never dunk food in thier water. Maybe it is fun for them, or it tastes better wet or maybe the want to flavor thier water.:rofl:

crazyanimal

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
My blue fronted amazon, Mateo is a dunker. Everything and I mean EVERYTHING goes in his water dish.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
When Squeeky was a baby I would soak the pellets in warm water and make a paste out of it. That is the only way he would eat them at first because they were the formula consistency and he didn't yet know how to eat very well. As he got older I made the pellets less and less wet until he started eating them dry, so I thought. That is when the whole dunking thing started. Til this day if I give him water soaked pellets that are warm he gobbles them in 2 seconds.

TwilightsImprint

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Erica
I think birds dunk because their food is too hard for their liking. Except in Aros's case as he seems heart set on dunking everything just to watch it float around.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I think birds dunk because their food is too hard for their liking. Except in Aros's case as he seems heart set on dunking everything just to watch it float around.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

samccormack

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Scott
Topper and Elima are both dunkers. Elima even has a technique for dunking when using a water bottle (who says crackatoos aren't smart?) She takes a pellet tucks it under her tongue then makes her way over to the water bottle then fills her beak with water and wala instant beak soup! :)

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Elima really does have a technique, and she must get a lot of exercising doing it. lol

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Topper and Elima are both dunkers. Elima even has a technique for dunking when using a water bottle (who says crackatoos aren't smart?) She takes a pellet tucks it under her tongue then makes her way over to the water bottle then fills her beak with water and wala instant beak soup! :)
Wow very smart. Squeeky uses a little hamster plastic bowl for his water lol. I have been using these for him since he first started to eat on his own.

Tielygirl

Avenue Veteran
Well all of my guys are water bottle trained! :dance5:so they barely get dirty.. Sellie has learned to take his pellets and he rolls them in the end of the water bottle tube so they get wet, and the water doesn't get full 2 minutes after I've changed it.

Water bottles are *amazing* to say the least! :dance4:

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Maybe I will invest in one one day but I think Squeeky will give me a hard time about it.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Jasper is a big time food dunker. Tango will sometimes but not as much as Jasper does. I change out the water a few times a day. It gets pretty nasty looking :)

Robin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
I have 2 dunker's here, Shiloh and Simba. Shiloh mainly does his birdie bread, but Simba dunks everything :)
Have to change water 3 or 4 times a day. Simba loves to bath so have to keep his water clean so he doesn't get all soggy crumbs all over him.

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
I have a few dunkers here as well! I have to make sure I change the sun conure's water after breakfast because they'll bath in the soup.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.