• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So this poor bird

FLmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Is still in an outside cage in the carport driveway of a duplex. So atleast it’s covered but..... this is a very busy intersection. This duplex is right on the side of a busy street cars and trucks speeding by. Loud music beeping and yes many accidents. I drove by often just to get a look hoping that maybe this set up was temporary but unfortunately it just seems to be the permanent place. There is cardboard now shoved up against the cage to block it from the road I guess. So I can’t see the bird anymore. But I sure hear him every evening. He cries these cries that sound like pleading for help or attention. It’s heartbreaking.
It was 57 degrees the other night and he was out there what I would assume was all night because his cage was covered.

this is just infuriating to me. People just don’t educate themselves. I guess they figure he’s a bird so they like being outside :banghead: I can just see me calling about animal neglect and being told that the bird has food and water and a big cage so it’s all good.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Is still in an outside cage in the carport driveway of a duplex. So atleast it’s covered but..... this is a very busy intersection. This duplex is right on the side of a busy street cars and trucks speeding by. Loud music beeping and yes many accidents. I drove by often just to get a look hoping that maybe this set up was temporary but unfortunately it just seems to be the permanent place. There is cardboard now shoved up against the cage to block it from the road I guess. So I can’t see the bird anymore. But I sure hear him every evening. He cries these cries that sound like pleading for help or attention. It’s heartbreaking.
It was 57 degrees the other night and he was out there what I would assume was all night because his cage was covered.

this is just infuriating to me. People just don’t educate themselves. I guess they figure he’s a bird so they like being outside :banghead: I can just see me calling about animal neglect and being told that then bird has food and water and a big cage so it’s all good.
Ugh. I wish I could whisk him away! Poor, poor baby.

Aves

Birds matter too. That's just so mean! Why do people see birds as something that doesn't need protection or love or care?!

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
The bird is a cockatoo btw. The kind with the big yellow head feathers. I want to go get him so badly.
Me and you both! Life is unfair. So sad. :rpg4::tntrnm:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I looked into going through a rescue to get a bird before I decided to just buy one that did not come with ridiculous rules for me to abide by. The rescue I was looking at had you sign an agreement that said the bird was never to go into your home and had to be housed outdoors all year round as living inside a house is very unnatural for birds- I guess the whole inside and outside thing depends on what you know, how you feel and what you are used to as well as the individual birds needs and comforts- I honestly do not know of anyone here who keeps a 2 of any kind indoors. My neighbors have birds that live in aviaries outside in the extreme heat and also the freezing cold and that is actually fairly common for many bird owners here, most outdoor cages and aviaries have a covered roof or partial roof and that is really the only protection they have from the elements other than some bushy branches. I am not saying either way of housing birds is better than the other way but maybe that particular bird does better/ is happier outside? If that bird has only ever lived outside then the weather may not be something that is a major issue for him- Burt is panting at 27 degrees Celsius because he lives in a climate controlled house that is nearly always kept at about 22 degrees C, my neighbors birds are playing the fool or happily chilling out in comfort when it is 37 degrees Celsius because they adapt to the temperature much better than Burt does.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
I looked into going through a rescue to get a bird before I decided to just buy one that did not come with ridiculous rules for me to abide by. The rescue I was looking at had you sign an agreement that said the bird was never to go into your home and had to be housed outdoors all year round as living inside a house is very unnatural for birds- I guess the whole inside and outside thing depends on what you know, how you feel and what you are used to as well as the individual birds needs and comforts- I honestly do not know of anyone here who keeps a 2 of any kind indoors. My neighbors have birds that live in aviaries outside in the extreme heat and also the freezing cold and that is actually fairly common for many bird owners here, most outdoor cages and aviaries have a covered roof or partial roof and that is really the only protection they have from the elements other than some bushy branches. I am not saying either way of housing birds is better than the other way but maybe that particular bird does better/ is happier outside? If that bird has only ever lived outside then the weather may not be something that is a major issue for him- Burt is panting at 27 degrees Celsius because he lives in a climate controlled house that is nearly always kept at about 22 degrees C, my neighbors birds are playing the fool or happily chilling out in comfort when it is 37 degrees Celsius because they adapt to the temperature much better than Burt does.
People here have that mentality that birds are to be outside enjoying the sunlight in the trees flying bla bla bla.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
I might agree with you if it was an outdoor aviary and not a cage in a carport surrounded by traffic. As
Sit here listening to this poor bird making sounds that seem to be distressful. I realize that maybe I go above and beyond to care for my bird. I make sacrifices that the average person wouldn’t make. I’m not saying that everyone must do as I do or it’s abuse but come on that poor bird sounds miserable and the sounds tear at my heart every time I hear it.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Can you call the ASPCA? Or rescue?
I really think that aspca would not be able to do anything. Because again just because I would never treat such an amazing animal that way doesn’t mean it meets criteria to take it away. I’ve posted on the Nextdoor app to see what responses I get. Now I’m thinking about writing a letter and offer to take the bird for them but how do I get the response? I don’t want them having my real address or phone number just in case it makes them angry. I also figure they will ask for a large sum of money :(

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I really think that aspca would not be able to do anything. Because again just because I would never treat such an amazing animal that way doesn’t mean it meets criteria to take it away. I’ve posted on the Nextdoor app to see what responses I get. Now I’m thinking about writing a letter and offer to take the bird for them but how do I get the response? I don’t want them having my real address or phone number just in case it makes them angry. I also figure they will ask for a large sum of money :(
Complain about the noise until you're blue in the face. Get anyone who will help you to do the same. Get the owners slapped with a noise violation and they will rehome the bird. They obviously don't want it inside with them. :shifty:

Emailing the city has been very effective for my family over the years. Seems to work better for us than phone calls. Some cities use social media now; you might get a response that way. :shrug:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You could reach out and say someone complained about the noise, and if that fact made them nervous or had them thinking about giving him up, you’re interested.
:devil:

You could really run with that story.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Or... you could contact them and tell them you've heard the bird and seen it prior to the cardboard blocking it's view. Tell them you've missed being able to see him and that you have yearned for years to own a cockatoo of his species and ask if there is a remote chance they might be looking for a home for him. Certainly can't hurt to ask!