• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So...things are getting interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling

Sitting on the front steps
At first, I only had one lovebird (Sookie) and then after a while, I wanted her to have a friend (Eric). Sookie and Eric are brother and sister, just from different clutches. I'm positive on their genders. I got a male because I read a lot about two females...not exactly getting along. So yesterday morning, I go to let them out of their cage and they were, uhm..getting it on so to say haha. Now they're building a nest at the bottom of their cage -_-

So, my question is...if they're doing 'it', will there be an egg(s)? Or can I remove the 'nest' and she won't lay them? If she still lays them, do I just remove the eggs or what? I'm not wanting babies, especially incest ones haha. Sorry for sounding stupid, I just want to know.

Thanks for any help ^-^

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
There is a high likeliness of eggs.
As for taking the nest away helping..My lovebird's mother actually laid Piper's clutch without a nestbox. She wanted babies then and she had them. In fact, the breeder not wanting lovebirds at that exact time removed the first few eggs but when the hen continued to lay regardless, she let her have her babies.
You better get yourself some fake eggs just in case, to replace the ones you'll might have to take away.

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
my lovebirds are brother and sister, boiling eggs works :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you provide anything that can be viewed as a "nest" you are encouraging them to do just that. Get rid of it. They may or may not lay eggs without it but you should not be encouraging it in any way. Especially with siblings.

She will sit on them anywhere from 20 to 40 days (possibly longer because of captivity) Let her abandon them on her own so she completes the cycle naturally.

Sterling

Sitting on the front steps
Well they're shredding up their toys and making a nest at the bottom of their cage. At least that's what it looks like. I can't really remove their toys lol, so it would be okay to remove their made up 'nest' though?

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
yes remove the "nest" and try to avoid giving them toys they can shred. if i give munch things she can shred she goes instantly nesty. so its very rare she gets paper type toys and stuff she can shred. rearrange the cage, remove cage paper if needed, try to remove or change anything they start seeing as a nest, its not easy with lovebirds because theyre so determined but it can be done. reduce their daylight hours as well, give them 12-14 hours of night each night, their hormones should be reduced.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Well they're shredding up their toys and making a nest at the bottom of their cage. At least that's what it looks like. I can't really remove their toys lol, so it would be okay to remove their made up 'nest' though?
I was referring more to nest boxes, cavities, cardboard boxes, secluded areas and things like that.

If she has not laid any eggs she does not need the made up nest. If you clean that out and she wants to nest she will just start over and build again. There's no harm in that but discourage it as much as you can.

If she "has" laid an egg then it's fine for her to be in her made up nest. Again in that case she needs to complete the natural cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.