• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures So much progress

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
My senior rescue Charles has been with me for just about 2 months.
A few days ago he started feeling around on my fingers with his tongue and beak out of curiosity while I gave him sunflower seeds from my hand.

Today he stepped onto my finger for the first time ever. Not for long, just for a second to take a seed from my other hand, but it happened.

I’m so incredibly proud of this boy. In 2 months he has transformed from a terrified and depressed bird that cowered at the sight of me into a curious little fellow that even climbs to the front of the cage and squawks for my attention.

Charles also has trouble with feather mutilation. This week he has grown in several new tail and wing pin feathers and he has not chewed any of them off yet which is a lot of progress for him. His back, which previously was completely pink and bare, is now covered with tiny grey down feathers. Will they last? I’m not sure, but I’m so proud of him for getting this far this time.

I’m attaching a photo of him I took of him right after he stepped onto my finger. You can see his beautiful red belly and his little tail feathers that are coming in!

Attachments

zERo/

Walking the driveway
Avenue Spotlight Award
What awesome progress!

And look at that sweet face! :heart:
It’s so rewarding to see our efforts pay off and I can’t wait to see how much more you and Charles progress!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Great progress :cool:

haze

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Update! Charlie now usually chooses to sit on my hand or arm while he eats his treat after stepping up. I can hardly believe it!

haze

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Here is the little guy eating his sunflower seed while perched on me!! I’m surprised he didn’t run away when I pulled out the camera. He normally does. He was so brave!
DBF702DA-A482-403D-9D26-C1EE218284AC.jpeg

haze

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Today what I learned about Charles is he LOVES scritches. It’s probably been 10+ YEARS since anyone has given him scritches, but he allowed me to twice tonight and he was enjoying himself so much. I’m so amazed by every little bit of progress he makes. He is coming out of his shell so quick. Somebody clearly loved this little guy as a pet very much before he was placed in a breeder aviary. He is very friendly underneath all the initial fear.

Kelpie067

Meeting neighbors
Aww, he sounds so sweet and he has some beautiful colors! I’m touched by hearing how far he has come. It sounds like he has a wonderful life to look forward to with you!