• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So many babies!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

~birdybea~

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
So many babies!!! <added pics>

Pudding is out of control!!!! She had laid 10 eggs for her second clutch, two eggs were major duds but she was up to 7 babies as of a few days ago. There has been one more egg getting kicked around, covered in poop, pushed aside, etc and i was just leaving it there...well, because really (i had no reason). I had assumed it was a dud. But i just checked on Pudding and the bubs and she was sitting between the babies like she was on an egg. I could hear a small *cheep cheep cheep* that didn't seem to be coming from any of the babies i could see. When i moved Pudding i discovered the last egg, cracked almost all the way around with the bub kicking strongly to get out!! :eek: EIGHT babies!! Pudding is a maniac. She's been doing a brilliant job keeping the first 7 well fed, so we'll see how she goes with 8. The size difference between baby #1 and #8 is HUGE, even the difference between #7 and #8 is really obvious. To the babies advantage though it's been really hot here lately, so there's not been any piling up on top of each other. I think that helps Pudding locate everyone and make sure they're all full. I'll get some pics tomorrow afternoon and post when i get a chance. :D

I'm not one to miss a chance to procrastinate about studying, so i have pics already! ;)

Baby #1 and #8 :eek:

And a full house!! In a nest box which i cleaned last night...little poop factories. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:omg: I cant believe the difference between those two!! How many days apart are they?

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Oh my goodness that is a HUGE difference.:eek: Hope Pudding is able to keep up with feeding all of them.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Holy cow!! There is a big difference. Hopefully the mommy doesn't get tired out.

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
:omg: I cant believe the difference between those two!! How many days apart are they?
That is a 17-18 day age gap. It is a massive difference. Pudding found and fed the little one before bed. :)

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
WOW, I can't even imagine! She is a better bird mom than I am human mom because I would have totally flown the coop by now!

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Wow, i can't get over the size difference! They're super cute, though!

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
WOW, I can't even imagine! She is a better bird mom than I am human mom because I would have totally flown the coop by now!
:lol: That is exactly what i said.

I had a restless night last night, and when i was up at 4am i found the littlest bub empty so i gave him some formula. He's running on empty again now (8am) but i'll give Pudding an hour before i feed him again. Funnily enough i had to do the same thing when Scamp (super Dad) was just hatched. He kept getting lost under his siblings, but after me topping him up a few times a day for 2-3 days he was loud enough to yell for food over his siblings.

B

Beatriz Cazeneuve

Next time you might want to both pull the eggs and replace with fake until the entire clutch is done and restrict the clutch to a more manageable number for the mother (4 or 5). It prevents a lot of heartache.

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
Well so far there has been no heart ache, so I don't feel like that comment was necessary. I allowed Pudding to keep the eggs knowing that I can hand rear a few of the older bubs if she can't manage.

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
Wow, that is really amazing. I am used to rodents babies where they all come out at once and grow together, seeing all different stages in the same nest is pretty cool.

What a good mommy, it is awesome that you are keeping track of them and helping where needed. <3

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
What an amazing Momma!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Momma sure has been quite busy. What a contrast between #1 and #6.

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
Wow!! I feel her large family pain...LOLOLOL The difference in the chicks is amazing!!

Is she eating high calcium foods? I would worry about her calcium levels with making all those eggs!! That's a lot of work! Those babies sure are adorable:)

Lolle

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Louise
What a super mom, she is really doing a good job, and so are you.. Its good to hear that your watching over them, and ofcause they are adorable..

Holli

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Holli
Isn't dad helping mom out any? Both my dads do more of the feeding than the moms.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Bea they are precious and Mama is doing great :D Can't wait to watch them all grow up :D

Holli - My dad budgies don't feed the babies until its time for them to come out, They'll feed the mom while she's in the nest but seldom do i have a male who will feed babies before they come out of the nest
the dads teach the babies how to eat on their own when they come out - that's his job :D

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
Isn't dad helping mom out any? Both my dads do more of the feeding than the moms.
Dad is constantly feeding mum, so in that sense he is helping out lots. :) I've only ever had a couple of male budgies who would help out with feeding when the chicks were young. All the rest wait until the bubs are starting to come out of the nest, then they become super dad! :p

I'm finding at the moment that i just need to give the littlest bub a feed in the morning and then Pudding takes care of the lot super well throughout the day. It just takes her a while to fill them all up first thing (starting from empty crops) and it can take her a while to get to little guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.