• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So its been almost a week with my quaker..

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
its been almost a week since I've had marlowe (if you missed my one post I decided to not name him quasar..just didn't seem to fit him)..
One thing I didn't expect was how my mornings would change before work. I used to leisurely drink some coffee and watch some TV before getting ready for work..lol how things change..
Now im cleaning and changing water and feeding, cleaning perches, bars, vacuuming, taking marlowe out of the cage for some 'out' time before i leave..
Also something surprising to me was his bedtime hour. He seems to be ready to retire about 8.
...i don't know why, but i thought he'd be up longer lol..
So far he seems pretty chill and easy going. I keep hoping he doesn't change to birdzilla too quickly. When I get home he seems happy to see me, wants me to take him out of the cage, and likes being snuggled to my chest with his head and cheeks being lightly scratched, petted..
I made a little pvc perch stand he likes to hang out on while I do some quick things around the room..
He will fly off (his wings were clipped before i got him, so he flutters more than flys..) occasionally from my hands, I and i know when hes getting ready because he'll face the opposite direction beforehand.
I'm trying to convert him to pellet (i was told he was eating pellet before i got him, but he would never eat it..) I'm mixing the pellet with seed and some water 50/ 50 for 2 days, and he seems to be eating it pretty well. So I'm happy with that. Hope to have it all pellet in a week, and then try chop..he doesnt seem interested in fruits or vegetables yet..
He seems like such a good personality i almost wonder if like in a cartoon, when i leave for work, he doesn't secretly open his cage and create all kinds of mayhem all day, then go back inside and lock his door right before i return lol. He hasnt made any really loud noises yet which surprises me..ive read so much about that..of course its only been a week..
Today I was eating after work and he was on my shoulder, and he walked down my arm and kind of dug in to my inner elbow. It was harder than his usual beating it was like a really hard pinch. It didn't break the skin, but he'd never done that before. I don't know if he wanted my attention or what,.
I'm really thrilled though getting to know him, and am excited for the future.. :heart2: 20201001_090030.jpg

Last edited:

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I meant his usual "beaking.." not beating..

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I also want to thank everyone for their help and wisdom. Im sure I will need much of it in the future, so a big thanks in advance..:)

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
One thing I didn't expect was how my mornings would change before work. I used to leisurely drink some coffee and watch some TV before getting ready for work..lol how things change..
This just cracked me up. Yes, they really do change your life! Morning to night.
I often wonder about people who say they are bored...you have time to be bored?!!
Sounds like you two are off to a good start in your first week, especially since you are paying attention to what he is "telling" you.

Kathryn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kathryn
its been almost a week since I've had marlowe (if you missed my one post I decided to not name him quasar..just didn't seem to fit him)..
Now im cleaning and changing water and feeding, cleaning perches, bars, vacuuming, taking marlowe out of the cage for some 'out' time before i leave..
Also something surprising to me was his bedtime hour. He seems to be ready to retire about 8.
...i don't know why, but i thought he'd be up longer lol..
So far he seems pretty chill and easy going. I keep hoping he doesn't change to birdzilla too quickly. When I get home he seems happy to see me, wants me to take him out of the cage, and likes being snuggled to my chest with his head and cheeks being lightly scratched, petted..
I made a little pvc perch stand he likes to hang out on while I do some quick things around the room..
He will fly off (his wings were clipped before i got him, so he flutters more than flys..) occasionally from my hands, I and i know when hes getting ready because he'll face the opposite direction beforehand.
I'm trying to convert him to pellet (i was told he was eating pellet before i got him, but he would never eat it..) I'm mixing the pellet with seed and some water 50/ 50 for 2 days, and he seems to be eating it pretty well. So I'm happy with that. Hope to have it all pellet in a week, and then try chop..he doesnt seem interested in fruits or vegetables yet..
He seems like such a good personality i almost wonder if like in a cartoon, when i leave for work, he doesn't secretly open his cage and create all kinds of mayhem all day, then go back inside and lock his door right before i return lol. He hasnt made any really loud noises yet which surprises me..ive read so much about that..of course its only been a week..
Today I was eating after work and he was on my shoulder, and he walked down my arm and kind of dug in to my inner elbow. It was harder than his usual beating it was like a really hard pinch. It didn't break the skin, but he'd never done that before. I don't know if he wanted my attention or what,.
I'm really thrilled though getting to know him, and am excited for the future.. :heart2: View attachment 356217

I got my baby Quaker on August 7th. She is absolutely a joy to my life. She is 6 months old now. She is so bonded to me. I had her step up trained in about 3 weeks. She climbs aboard my finger or hand so confidently now. She says hello and when she has been on her play top on her cage (I only lock her in her cage at night so she doesn't fly around and get hurt while I'm sleeping) for awhile because I've been working in my home office she gets so happy to see me and hops to me. She squeaks and hops on my shoulder so happily. I am glad you are enjoying your Quaker. He will bring much joy to your life. My little "Caly", her full name is Calypso, is so sweet and loving and affectionate. Quite the snuggly bird in fact. She has been with me for 2 months today and she is such an integral part of my life now. She calls to me in the morning to spend time with her. I guess she is a bit spoiled because I have a remote from home job and I can give her lots of attention. She is comical, smart, likes to dig her head into my arm as though she is hiding. It is so adorable. You will love your new life with Marlowe. I love my Quaker, Caly so much already. Congrats on the new feathered kid in your life. Much joy and laughter are you in store for.

Attachments

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Your caly is very pretty. She sounds like a joy.
I can't wait to rush home from work now and open marlows cage door for him to come out.
He He was so quiet for the longest, but he's starting to call now. He really has some lungs lol...thanks for sharing about your caly..

Kathryn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kathryn
Your caly is very pretty. She sounds like a joy.
I can't wait to rush home from work now and open marlows cage door for him to come out.
He He was so quiet for the longest, but he's starting to call now. He really has some lungs lol...thanks for sharing about your caly..
Thank you so much. She is an utter joy. She is calling right now, I must go get her. :heart: She is actually doing her first molt so she is not as pretty as she was before but once her feathers come in better she will be prettier I'm sure. Always remember that a bird who sings, or calls, or makes lovely sounds is a happy bird. You are doing awesome for Marlowe.

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I dont know how lovely some of his calls are lol. He has one that really sounds like a very loud chimpanzee. I sometimes wonder if he was taken from a zoo as a baby, and thats where he mimicked a chimpanzee lol.
He is a joy though. He loves his head and cheeks scratched (he's getting new feathers as well) and riding my shoulder while i do things. I just put a new playstand together for him and he loves it. 20201008_184426.jpg