• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So It'll take months?

BlueWing

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jena
Hi. So I'm reading through the forum and I'm noticing that after months, peoples birds are being comfortable with them. Will my gc conure be the same?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Depends entirely on the bird. Some warm up very quickly, while others need more time. Has nothing to do with age or hand reared, etc. Depends on the bird :)

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Building on what Mizzely said, people and the environment are the other variables.
  • Lots of interaction involving positive reinforcement will yield a better relationship VS limited interaction and old school punishment-based training.
  • A large cage with ample enrichment opportunities will be better than a small barren cage with nothing to do (avoids boredom related behaviour issues).
  • A predictable routine will be better than a chaotic one.
Also, comfort might vary depending on the situation... they'll step up when asked, for example, but it'll take more work and trust before they'll let you trim their nails.

Lastly, "comfortable" might happen very quickly with birds that were raised with human interaction, but it will likely take months for them to truly be themselves.

Last edited:

BlueWing

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jena
I see... Will the ear piecing flock calling ever end or at least lessen over time?

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
Hi. So I'm reading through the forum and I'm noticing that after months, peoples birds are being comfortable with them. Will my gc conure be the same?
depends on each bird. mercury bonded to me in 2 weeks and was completely comfortable, other birds are different. it's really a trial and error process.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
it really depnds but with my sun conure i noticed that his cries lessened after a while but no gurantees

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I see... Will the ear piecing flock calling ever end or at least lessen over time?
Like a lot of things in life... it depends. :)

In short, screaming is a natural behaviour for birds, but we can make our birds' screaming better or worse based on our reaction to it.

The best approach for the long term is not rewarding screaming with attention (i.e. ignoring it).

Give your bird attention when it's behaving in a manner you'd like to continue (when it's quiet, or at least, calling in a way that's pleasant to you).

My GCC is currently 2 meters to my left, yelling out the window at the wild neighbourhood birds and sunshine. I'm ignoring her, because I know she's perfectly safe and not actually calling to me. I also know that particular screaming will pass when spring hormonal season does. If I really wanted her to stop, I'd do something on my own that I know she enjoys and she'd make the choice that she would rather do this other thing (go to the kitchen and make lunch, in our case).

One of my macaws has learned they need to call out with "hello!" if they want me to come get them (that's the behaviour I reinforced, but any positive behaviour is possible).

Ensuring they have appropriate enrichment to keep them entertained, and predictable routines will help matters too.

What's going on in their world during the, "ear piercing flock calling", and what's your reaction to them?

BlueWing

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jena
Like a lot of things in life... it depends. :)

In short, screaming is a natural behaviour for birds, but we can make our birds' screaming better or worse based on our reaction to it.

The best approach for the long term is not rewarding screaming with attention (i.e. ignoring it).

Give your bird attention when it's behaving in a manner you'd like to continue (when it's quiet, or at least, calling in a way that's pleasant to you).

My GCC is currently 2 meters to my left, yelling out the window at the wild neighbourhood birds and sunshine. I'm ignoring her, because I know she's perfectly safe and not actually calling to me. I also know that particular screaming will pass when spring hormonal season does. If I really wanted her to stop, I'd do something on my own that I know she enjoys and she'd make the choice that she would rather do this other thing (go to the kitchen and make lunch, in our case).

One of my macaws has learned they need to call out with "hello!" if they want me to come get them (that's the behaviour I reinforced, but any positive behaviour is possible).

Ensuring they have appropriate enrichment to keep them entertained, and predictable routines will help matters too.

What's going on in their world during the, "ear piercing flock calling", and what's your reaction to them?
Wild birds singing in nearby trees and me trying my best to stay calm while wearing earplugs.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Wild birds singing in nearby trees and me trying my best to stay calm while wearing earplugs.
I can definitely relate.

Staying calm is a great reaction. :)

Over time, when we observe how our birds will behave in a given circumstance, we can often anticipate and adjust. It's sometimes helpful to take steps to proactively avoid those situations, rather than reactively having to deal with them. If I have to focus, and I know it's during a time where my GCC may yell out the window at springtime, I may close the blinds before my task. Alternatively, I may sit with her at the window with a coffee to let her get the screaming out of her system.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I was just given a gcc that was found and they couldn't keep. At first he loved me and would cuddle under my chin and preen me and get scritches. Now that he's feeling better he chases my fingers around and tries to bite and even jumped on my arm and started attacking it and my hands till I stuffed him back into the cage.
He probably got over the trauma of being lost then in a new family and now is being more himself and acting out. Now I go in and talk to him and if he's aggressive I just talk to him for a while and eventually leave him be. I come in later and if he's mostly no longer chasing my finger and me around I put on a thick hood and let him out and see how he does. Last time he was in a good mood he hung out behind my neck mostly and preened and snooze, he wasn't quite ready to allow me to scritch him and would open his beak if I got too close but no outright attacks and eventually he got hungry and thirsty and went in on his own.
He hasn't been calm enough since so I check on him and talk to him every so often. I have Dobby, a Maxi Pionus so I can't just let him out or spend all my time with him but he was just cleared at the vet so eventually we'll see how they get along from a distance. You really need to let them go at their own pace and eventually he'll decide your trustworthy and good things happen with you, then the biting should back off as he feels safe with you and starts trusting you.