• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent So...Im sitting in the lot,

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Had to take Soaren in, my 20 year old tiel..she was acting " off"....
Vet wants X Ray's, crop and poo swabs, said shes underweight, At 80 grams,,is dehydrated....wants blood work, and and off site testing, dont know this vet, Dr. Lamb, my usual vet spends most of her time at Liberty wildlife.. I told them she wont bite, but she hates strangers.. I told them do the X rays, and the swabs..no on the bloodwork....get back soon..80 grams is good, Told the vet ,,,over the phone, that most of my teils weigh between 78 and 90,,,they're all different, I hate that I cant be with her,,and not seeing the X Ray's bothers me..

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ooh no, I hope they figure out what's going on!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thinking of you. Hope everything will be ok.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope your little sweetie will be okay!
:hug8:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Prayers up kiddo

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Keeping you and little Soaren in my thoughts. :hug4:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Birdbabe I've heard good things a bout Dr. Lamb. If they have a digital xray machine the xrays can be emailed to you. I get mine that way.
Dr. Lamb is awesome, but shes rarely there anymore...I'll call and ask about the xrays.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Late update, the vet found nothing wrong other than a little " underweight " a bit dehydrated..which I didn't know, Soaren drinks and eats, posiitve and negative bacteria all good, bone density ok.... nothing wrong with the GI tract..anyway vet wants her at 100 grams! I feel that's too fat! I think she's just old...they sent me home with this
20210224_184200.jpg

And something to keep her from barfing.. tried the Emeraid,,vet wanted 1.6 cc"s...after 0.8, she started to spit it up, I'll call tomorrow, she did take about 0.6 without problems,, I tasted it, its sweet..anyways shes super pissed, we'll go from tonight

Attachments

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@sunnysmom is the only one I know that has had old tiels

Is it just the getting older thing?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
What prompted the vet visit? I am a big fan of senior nutriberries for older tiels. It has milk thistle and glucosamine in it. I always worry about fatty liver and arthritis in older tiels. I am not familiar with what they gave you for her. Sunny my first older tiel also got probiotics. It made a big difference for him. Rosie gets petamine. It sounds a bit crazy since it's for breeding birds but it has brewers yeast and other good stuff in it. He's been on it his whole life and he's 31. So it makes me think it helps him. I also let my older birds eat millet spray every day. I find that the older tiels struggle to maintain their weight. So I think the millet helps. I hope she gets back to normal.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@sunnysmom . I took her in because she threw up her food and had Goo in her "hair"..vet said she may have over eaten something.. I thought it may bacterial or yeast issue...No problems in the X ray and swabs..but she seems ok, took a bath before bedtime., she still eating, but not as much as she should, she gets millet, nutriberries, avi cakes, a bunch of fresh foods,,,guess she had an off day, maybe I over reacted..but, better safe than sorry... shes seriously piffed at me. will step up up, but goes " Pfft, pfft, ...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
@sunnysmom . I took her in because she threw up her food and had Goo in her "hair"..vet said she may have over eaten something.. I thought it may bacterial or yeast issue...No problems in the X ray and swabs..but she seems ok, took a bath before bedtime., she still eating, but not as much as she should, she gets millet, nutriberries, avi cakes, a bunch of fresh foods,,,guess she had an off day, maybe I over reacted..but, better safe than sorry... shes seriously piffed at me. will step up up, but goes " Pfft, pfft, ...
I'm glad she's okay. And yes, definitely better to be safe than sorry.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Glad she´s ok! I´m sure it´s quite frustrating/upsetting not to be able to be in there with her while she´s getting looked at.
:hug9: