• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So I have 2 birds with an issue..

olivierr1

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivier
So, I have an IRN and a little parrotlet, they're both acting different all of a sudden.

The IRN (Jumble), is not eating very much atm, he fully skips out on breakfast, which is all the veg/fruit/grains etc, and will only eat seeds, sometimes not even many.
I weigh him often and he is currently around 150gr, which is actually quite heavy for an IRN. He flies many hours a day so I'm not worried about that too much. He's very active, but doesn't eat his veg anymore.

On the other side of the room, Pico, the parrotlet is eating like normal (Like a freight-train) but her droppings are very watery and have been for a few days now.
The other stuff in the droppings look fine, the watery part does not have colour either, which looks fine to me.
She poops in the same spot and it turns into a puddle after a few hours.
She has not had a change in diet recently so it's not watery foods. All I can think of is a higher intake of water, I can't exactly tell if she's drinking more than usual..

I won't be able to call the vet till Monday but I would love your second opinion on this!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Never had much experience with IRNs but the Parrotlet drinking more can be a sign of stress. Is there anything that could be disturbing them at night or scaring them at any time? Can be as simple as a neighbour closing a door with vigour, or the lights from a passing car. Has anything changed in your home, or with your appearance?

olivierr1

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivier
Never had much experience with IRNs but the Parrotlet drinking more can be a sign of stress. Is there anything that could be disturbing them at night or scaring them at any time? Can be as simple as a neighbour closing a door with vigour, or the lights from a passing car. Has anything changed in your home, or with your appearance?
Hmmm not that I'm aware of. I have noticed a more frequent door slam from the neighbors in the morning but our house is pretty well noise insulated so I don't know if they can hear it at all.
I can't think of anything that's changed but I'll do some more thinking.

What should I do to tackle this if it is stress?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
bump

olivierr1

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivier
So update time!

Second trip to the vet this morning after a week of antibiotics.
They gave me a week of meds to rule out any infection in the liver or kidneys, which did pretty much nothing.
Today they x-rayed her, tested her blood, gave her an injection for zinc poisoning... The whole lot.

Still, we have no idea what's wrong, the blood results are in on Monday. Let's hope it's nothing serious!

They suspect some sort of metal poisoning, if she gets better after the injection it's most likely that.

Does anyone know how I can test her cage/toys to see if they're stainless steel v.s. zinc?

Besides the ginormous vet bill, she's feeling all fine now.

Jumble is still 150gr. After speaking to the vet, he does not think Jumble is overweight either. I will try and hold back on the treats a little just in case.

olivierr1

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivier
So update time!

Second trip to the vet this morning after a week of antibiotics.
They gave me a week of meds to rule out any infection in the liver or kidneys, which did pretty much nothing.
Today they x-rayed her, tested her blood, gave her an injection for zinc poisoning... The whole lot.

Still, we have no idea what's wrong, the blood results are in on Monday. Let's hope it's nothing serious!

They suspect some sort of metal poisoning, if she gets better after the injection it's most likely that.

Does anyone know how I can test her cage/toys to see if they're stainless steel v.s. zinc?

Besides the ginormous vet bill, she's feeling all fine now.

Jumble is still 150gr. After speaking to the vet, he does not think Jumble is overweight either. I will try and hold back on the treats a little just in case.

Edit;

I almost forgot to add, jumble has his first peach coloured neck feathers coming in!! He's so handsome..

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope she improves and you can figure out what’s going on!