• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So I did a thing...

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I didn't know when, nor *if* this would occur... or how. My heart was ripped and shredded to pieces far too many times within the past year, and then some. I couldn't go out and just replace that which I have lost but my heart was aching for something more. My S.O and I have been talking about getting a pet, primarily for himself but potentially for me, too. Anything from a bird (he's interested in several species, but leaning towards green cheeks or cockatiels), to a cat (he was leaning towards Himalayan, but I convinced him on a Ragdoll) or a dog (husky at first, but now leaning towards Australian shepherd).

I lost my cat [Sprite] first (last year), then my mother [Squirt] and sister [Emma] lost their cats within 12 or so hours of each other a while later, so we all were feeling pretty down. (not to mention all my other losses) My mother bought a kitten first, from Craigslist, which she has named Muggles. (aka "Mugly Ugly" - nicer of some of his nicknames...). My sister then adopted a cat from the humane society (was Calia, now Lia). I'm still catless... and my S.O. is taking too long to decide if or when he'll be getting something... I'm kind of going stir-crazy, considering "stealing" (adopting for a weekend? day? or a few hours?) someones dog just so I could enjoy having a furred critter around again, even if it wasn't my own. I was raised with animals my entire life, I've almost always had cats and/or a dog as part of my life, so being without either has been tough.

I still have birds, but you can't *safely* cuddle with them at night, go running with them, etc. (at least not in the same way you could with a cat or a dog... depending on the activity). Although my S.O. was primarily interested in a dog (running companion/extra safety), we had been looking at a lot of cats. We've come across several cats that he has been interested in, and he mentioned taking that cat home, however, when I left the decision up to him, we left empty handed. Sure, the cat was friendly, it was cute or pretty... but it was still just a cat.

Well, about 3 weeks ago, that all changed! If I have the information correct, "he" was brought in to the humane society on May 23rd as an unclaimed stray (6 days to claim a pet as yours before it's released and put up for adoption), estimated to be about 4 years old, assumed to have matted fur due to having back and sides shaved (not head, legs, stomach, or bag of legs). May 24th, he was taken to a local pet store that adopts out cats from the humane society, and that's when we saw him. A cat that they had named, for the time being, as Gomez.

KIMG3763[1].jpg

There was a kitten right above "Gomez" that was really sweet as well, but for whatever reason, that night and the next day, all I could think of was him. We (or perhaps I, with no heads up to my S.O. that we were heading there!) went back and adopted him the following evening, on May 25th. I just knew that if I missed getting him, like I did with a previous animal, I would regret it. And the weekend of adopting him is another fun little story... lol Neither one of us likes Gomez, can't think of any better names, so we went completely unoriginal and named him Razor!

But now he's here and I'm wondering if he's some mixed breed cat or potentially ragdoll. He at least looks like a ragdoll, but behavior-wise.... not ragdoll. He's 13 lbs (so small side *IF* he were ragdoll) and is semi-affectionate. Razor likes sitting in laps, laying on people, even if it's only half way and he has his upper body on you but his feet/rear end are elsewhere. He enjoys having his head scratches. He does follow people around, to the point that if one person is paying attention to him, because Razor wanted the attention, but someone new or different walks into the room, he'll get up from the person he is with and go and see what the other person is doing!

KIMG3811[1].jpg

However, Razor does not like his back or stomach touched and will even get up and leave if you persist in petting him in those areas. His sides and back are shaved, so maybe it's from that? He also doesn't really purr... or at best, a purr is either a snoring sound or a whispy/quiet sound. I suspect it could be his personality, or maybe he's still settling in after 3 weeks? He was sick with a respiratory infection and *IS* on meds for that (until Sunday), so that could also be playing a role in how he feels.

It's just kind of tough though in that the way I want to interact with him, I can't. I have a friend who has said that her dog and cats don't like strangers and yet, they wouldn't leave me alone! My previous cat was far more hands on and affectionate and she came out of a grocery store parking lot! (family giving away kittens there) I'm an extremely patient person, and am having to exercise that now, since he's not the cat that I want him to be! Or that, I know that he can be! Having said all that, I think he's on the road to learning "shake"! :lol:

Razor is probably some mixed breed cat or something, but for looks at least, I keep coming back to the Ragdoll... none of the similar looking cat breeds like the Birman or the Balinese... Personality does seem kind of between Ragdoll and Birman. Whatever he is, I'm still glad to have him! :)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Congratulations! He is gorgeous:heart: I think it was meant to be:hug8:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Congrats on your new family member, what a stunner he is!

Not positive if it is the same, but our cat loves being touched any and every where, she had to have sections of fur shaved for vet inspections. When her fur was shaved she did not like being touched in those areas. I guess it was uncomfortable for her, once the fur was a little grown she was fine again.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Love the blue eyes & the taupe on the ears & tail.

Hair seems longer than avg cat.

Mom is getting a kitten next week from the neighbor. Her cat had kittens in my moms yard then moved them back next door. Mom had wanted one. There were a few mostly white.

Moms is white fluffy semi long fur with blue eyes & has black tips on the ears & a black tail.
Mom really can't see it well as she is partially blind but dad says its beautiful.

Mom is excited as her beloved cat got mauled by this buck tooth wild animal which I still don;t know what the heck it is as there are no Tasmanian devils on the mainland.

Good Luck with Razor as hes under the weather, been lost or abandoned/shaved & may just need some time. 13 lbs is not light!

Wow like the Ragdolls..
Found thisone with 2 heads

Last edited:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Love the blue eyes & the taupe on the ears & tail.

Hair seems longer than avg cat.

Mom is getting a kitten next week from the neighbor. Her cat had kittens in my moms yard then moved them back next door. Mom had wanted one. There were a few mostly white.

Moms is white with blue eyes & has black tips on the ears & a black tail.

Mom is excited as her beloved cat got mauled by this buck tooth wild animal which I still don;t know what the heck it is as there are no Tasmanian devils on the mainland.

Good Luck with Razor as hes under the weather, been lost or abandoned/shaved & may just need some time.

Foxes, feral cats and dogs are all regular problems (depending on area) for cats here.

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Aww, isn’t he a cutie? :heart: And those eyes - so gorgeous! :)

I’m so glad he found great people to go home with.

And I’m also so sorry for your recent losses. :sadhug2: I didn’t know. I’m sure this new little fella will bring you many years of happiness, however.

Also, it may just be taking him a little bit longer to completely open up! It took our newest furry family member, a kitten, Yoda, a little while to finally show us just how cuddly he could be. Now he is the cuddliest cat I’ve ever had - he’ll just curl up in your arms. I hope Razor will soon open up a bit more and allow some more pets and cuddles. :p

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
He is beautiful. We had 2 ragdolls that lived to be 19. Ours came from a reputable breeder but she was crossing Siamese into the mix. So even if you feel he’s only part ragdoll it could be something like that.

Does he flop when you pick him up, ragdoll style?

Hubby had our cats before we met. When I met them he told me not to touch one of them, that he didnt like people and would give a feral scream. That cat LOVED me. He slept on top of me. I could hold/pet him every way possible. When I came in from work he ran to. me and threw his ‘arms’ around my neck like a toddler. I felt sorry that the cat had to wait so long for his person to show up.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I wish you and Razor a happy life together for many years to come. He is stunning. Long haired cats do well with a furminator and metal comb for grooming.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh he is just absolutely gorgeous! I hope his hair will be growing in soon so that you can pet him like you're used to, I'll bet it must be awful to have an area otherwise covered by hair, then shaved! My last kitty was a long haired Calico, and she's been gone for many years, but I still miss her.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Not positive if it is the same, but our cat loves being touched any and every where, she had to have sections of fur shaved for vet inspections. When her fur was shaved she did not like being touched in those areas. I guess it was uncomfortable for her, once the fur was a little grown she was fine again.
That's what I'm hoping, however his stomach is not shaved and he's not okay with being touched there, either.

Moms is white fluffy semi long fur with blue eyes & has black tips on the ears & a black tail.
Mom really can't see it well as she is partially blind but dad says its beautiful.

Good Luck with Razor as hes under the weather, been lost or abandoned/shaved & may just need some time. 13 lbs is not light!

Wow like the Ragdolls..
Found thisone with 2 heads
I don't believe in allowing a cat to be indoor/outdoor unless they have a safe place where they can meander about and not get out of the yard. For the longest time, my family was all about having indoor/outdoor cats so needless to say, we lost many to cars (not fun being a child, being told that cat has been missing, then finding said cat next to the highway... dead) Had one cat that kids thought was a stray kitten, wanted to keep her, couldn't, and instead of finding out where she really lived, gave her away to the 'old cat lady'. Didn't see her again for *several* years... and by the time I found her again, it was too late to take her back. Another cat came home sick...

Cat on a leash? That's okay! Cat proof yard? That's fine. Or even a cattery, cat walk, or some other way to contain the cat within the yard. Roaming the neighborhood? Not good.

I hope your mother will keep her new kitty indoors only for his/her safety! Sounds like a pretty little thing!

I've also "seen" Frankie and Louie before! :D

And I’m also so sorry for your recent losses. :sadhug2: I didn’t know. I’m sure this new little fella will bring you many years of happiness, however.

Also, it may just be taking him a little bit longer to completely open up! It took our newest furry family member, a kitten, Yoda, a little while to finally show us just how cuddly he could be. Now he is the cuddliest cat I’ve ever had - he’ll just curl up in your arms. I hope Razor will soon open up a bit more and allow some more pets and cuddles.
I've got a thread about it.... they say that when it rains, it pours. Well, it's been pouring down ever since the end of 2015. I just need for something to go right! Hopefully, he's the start of it!

And I hope so too! :)

Does he flop when you pick him up, ragdoll style?

Hubby had our cats before we met. When I met them he told me not to touch one of them, that he didnt like people and would give a feral scream. That cat LOVED me. He slept on top of me. I could hold/pet him every way possible. When I came in from work he ran to. me and threw his ‘arms’ around my neck like a toddler. I felt sorry that the cat had to wait so long for his person to show up.
No, he doesn't "flop".... like I said, he's got the looks down... but not the size or really personality. He doesn't seem against dogs and may be okay with other cats as long as they are friendly, which is a nice bonus. When he wants food, he can be quite demanding and loud about it! My last cat, who was definitely not ragdoll, had more personality traits of one than Razor does.

Definitely sounds like your hubby's other kitty was something special! Sprite would *sometimes* greet me at the door, used my arm as a pillow at night (sleep drooling was unpleasant though!), love on her, get my fingers deep into her skin, etc. She used to completely ignore me when I called for her, so I ended up teaching her to come when I called. I hope that, in time, Razor will be more hands on/affectionate, even if it requires some training!

Long haired cats do well with a furminator and metal comb for grooming.
Got the Furminator already and a brush. So far, he doesn't really like to be brushed... head region is "okay", but no where else. He still has mats on his 'leg feathers' that need to be cut off, but it'll be a 2 person job to do that...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! He's very cute!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Forgot to mention... to me, an 11-13lb cat is average size!!!! Kind of hard to imagine anything smaller than that unless the cat is underweight! I've just always grown up with "larger" cats, and to me, they are of average size! Perhaps the first cat that I can recall may have been 8 lbs, but I honestly don't know... this was before I started school to starting elementary school and I don't know how much she actually weighed. That poor cat though... she was terrorized! By me... not intentionally of course, just didn't know any better back then... and somehow, I was still her favorite person!

Razor getting medications... he hates that, and will easily give us the cold shoulder, or will lay near us but will have an "Don't touch me!" kind of attitude! But in the middle of the night, if anyone is still awake, he can be quite demanding of attention! Maybe not a lot, but he definitely wants at least some. And then he wakes us up at 4 or 5 am because he's hungry... :dead:

Trying to get Razor used to coming to work. He's fine at work (now), but the car ride is an issue. Got something on the way for that which I hope will help. One of my boss's has already met him and loves him! And one day I didn't bring him in, my other boss showed up and wondered where he was at! Pretty sure they hired me just so I could bring my pets in with me, and if I don't, one will occasionally remind me that it's okay to bring in any of my animals! :wacky:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
IDK...but average cat is under 10 lbs with avg 8 to 10lbs.

Mom will keep the new kitten in the house & with her when she is in the yard.

Hard to tell Aussies what to do with their pets & mom is already feeding at least 3 from the neighborhood who drop by for lunch!

My moms cat got attacked on her friends farm. Its 100 acres per house so very bush like.
Still there are guaranas mostly that take cats.

The person who she was staying with is a what me worry kind of person but I hope when my Mom visits again she can try to keep the cat from getting out.

They saw this thing & it was no normal fox, dingo or feral cat. My mom said it had huge buck teeth. They finally captures it & they took care of it as the man has other cats.

Only thing I can think of like it would be a tasmanian devil but they are not supposed to be on Australia anymore just Tasmania. Other than that the other type of buck teeth carnivores are extinct.

Don;t know what it was or how many more but my mom was so traumatized as the cat survived but did not come home with its head mauled. Poor thing went hiding bleeding & in pain. They could not find it & when my Mom finally called it it came out. My mom took it to the vet which gave it no chance & it would cost alot but my mom did not care & said try to save its life. They tried but parts of the face were gone so really not much they could do.

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
That's terrible. :( But still good that she's able to open her heart to another kitty.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
She really loved the cat & it slept in bed with her!

She has mice so when I was there we were thinking of getting her another.
My dad has alot of cats & when I was there there was one really friendly one who would sit by me & begged to be petted almost crawling in my lap.

My dads are semi wild cats so that was unusual. With thought about Mom taking that one but it was used to be free on a farm with other cats & just not used to being in a house so it was not know how it would do with mom in a strange area & if it would try to run away as its used to roaming on a 2 acre fenced area by the house & mom lives in a house in town.

Then they discovered the kitten in moms wash shed & she fed the mom who we found out belonged to the neighbor. Mom did want one but in the end the mom took the kittens back next door. My mom told the neighbor that the kittens were born in her yard & that she lost her cat & the neighbor is giving her one next week as they just weaned.

The mother cat breeds alot of white kittens with blue eyes & think there is some siamese in them. Anyway the kittens marking sound so cute & the kitten is pretty friendly for being a semi wild kitten as its really not had much human contact.

Mom feeds some of the adult cats from previous litters of this cat another which is white with blue eyes & a few others who drop by to get some canned food & she leaves dry out for them.
It works out for mom now as she has cats patrolling her yard/house & hopefully no more mice!

This was my cat aa a kitten a shaded persian I had in NY in the late 80's but it would wake me up by kneading on my head as I slept so I gave her to mom. The cat would sleep on moms chest!

Patina kitty.JPG

Last edited:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@camelotshadow, guarana is a type of plant so not sure what you were meaning with that, were you talking about Goanna's maybe? They are a rather large lizard that live in some parts of Australia, I have once heard of a Goanna taking a very small kitten to eat. Also depending on where your mum lives will depend on what animals live near by. Some areas of Australia have feral pigs which can kill even a larger dog if it gets in the way of the pig.
We have no wild carnivorous animals with bucked teeth so maybe the animal that got your mums cat was unwell or deformed from an injury.
You are right about there being no Tasmanian devils on the mainland, Tasmania has a few wild animals that are not on the mainland (as far as I am aware).
I hope your mum keeps her cat indoors as we have way too many people who let their cats roam the countryside to kill our smaller wildlife. Hopefully if she keeps it indoors, she will be able to keep her kitty safe. Most people I know that own cats will not let them out at night or at all in some cases, the people in the cities seem to care less about letting cats out to roam but most country folk I know keep cats in areas where they can only catch mice and not wildlife.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
@camelotshadow, guarana is a type of plant so not sure what you were meaning with that, were you talking about Goanna's maybe? They are a rather large lizard that live in some parts of Australia, I have once heard of a Goanna taking a very small kitten to eat. Also depending on where your mum lives will depend on what animals live near by. Some areas of Australia have feral pigs which can kill even a larger dog if it gets in the way of the pig.
We have no wild carnivorous animals with bucked teeth so maybe the animal that got your mums cat was unwell or deformed from an injury.
You are right about there being no Tasmanian devils on the mainland, Tasmania has a few wild animals that are not on the mainland (as far as I am aware).
I hope your mum keeps her cat indoors as we have way too many people who let their cats roam the countryside to kill our smaller wildlife. Hopefully if she keeps it indoors, she will be able to keep her kitty safe. Most people I know that own cats will not let them out at night or at all in some cases, the people in the cities seem to care less about letting cats out to roam but most country folk I know keep cats in areas where they can only catch mice and not wildlife.

I misspelled. We have the 6 foot monitor type lizard & they have tried to take a kitten once & my Mom got it to drop it. Well, it seems that some have been seeing the tasmanian tiger in Vic or so they think... Who knows whats in the remote areas.
My Mom was out late a few years back & did see a wild boar & ran home fast. We are in a valley surrounded by mountains & rivers so its isolated.

We also have the deadly eastern brown snake but this was not a lizard or snake. Think they know what a boar looks like. They described this as some evil looking thing!

I really would like to know what it was!!!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Well, I have more respect & admiration for the monitor lizard when its not eating cats...

This is supposed to be west of Brisbane. Seems people are feeding them & its dangerous to have a few of these getting so close for the chance to get a hot dog.

Dads cats in 2003...he was breeding these silver striped beauties. Now he has some tigers & alot of black cats. He loves cats & has quite a few.

IMGaussiecat_0031 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
He is gorgeous. He definitely has Ragdoll in him.

Give him time to come around to being petted and purring. It took my one cat a whole year of affection to get him to finally purr. You have no idea what this little guy has been through.