• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So here's a photo of the cage with birds...

Birdyldy79

Meeting neighbors
I am working on getting a larger cage for them, on a fixed budget so it'll be a while but hopefully not too long away. I fully intend to shorten the wooden dowels at some point too. They're very flighty when I start moving stuff around the cage for clean up time and that makes for a tiny challenge. I used to clean cages in a pet store, back when we could have all sorts of birds for sale. So I'm kinda used to the whole clean up routine. The little sweeties poop FAR more than I thought plausible by such small birdies. :laugh:

As I know their genders it's still impossible for me to pick names that fit. I was thinking of just calling them Java and Rice. I love their little pip cherp. Today they decided their water dish is a lovely place to take a bath. Fortunately they have covers so the spray was contained within the cage. They were taking turns, hopping in, splashing themselves up and getting out to preen. They take turns with everything they do, one goes for food the other follows and does the same. Same goes for all activities they do. Birdy see, Birdy do.

Eyeballing cages and basically window shopping has been fun. I kinda wanna hire someone to make the perfect cage for my birds, or maybe I'll get into a little DIY. I don't really like most of the cages I've seen available. Either too small, bars too far spaced apart or FAR too expensive.

Their favourite game is merry-go-round with the tent in the middle, they hop-hop through, flutter to far end, go back around to the far side and do it ALL over again. They chirp happily while doing it too. Tried to film but they stop instantly when I tried. Camera shy.
241686144_1489350581430679_1426259607936154350_n.jpg

Jogging around the block
Either too small, bars too wide or FAR too expensive
Yes! Exactly the problems I was facing to try and find mine an aviary.
Ended up finding a cheap wooden indoor aviary and did some DIYing to make it better, worked well and have happier birds now.
Cute birds, I wish you luck and finding/building the right cage!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Check Craigslist and Nextdoor.com. Occasionally really nice used cages show up cheap or even free. I needed a better cage for Pippen when it was apparent she was staying and I found a really nice big flight for 50 bucks. It was like new and had everything. When the lady heard I needed it for a found Conure she dropped the price to 30 bucks and delivered it.
That was on Nextdoor.com, Look in the finds section.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Facebook marketplace is good for cages too.