• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So Frustrated...

Bartleby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I agree with the others, I really think it is in everybody's (yours, his, your parents) best interest to give him back to the shelter.

If he is not going to be worked with extensively the issues you are currently having are only going to get worse. Right now he's an unsocialized, exuberant pup who hasn't been taught proper manners. In another year he'll be an adult pit mix, still unsocialized, underexcercised and exuberant, but with a whole list of bad habits that are very ingrained. The former is easy to work with and easily adopted, the latter is much harder to get into a permanent home.

If you really feel like you must have a dog, look for an older one who is quiet and already well trained. But if physical abuse is the go-to training technique the minute things get even remotely difficult, maybe a dog just isn't the right fit for your family?

crystaljam

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Crystal
When you are walking him and he sees another dog or person and reacts immediately change direction and walk the other way. If you have to change directions 20 times that is fine. He will get the idea that he cannot make the choice of where he is going and his behavior is unacceptable.

We still do this with Fynn - he used to react 1 block away, so we were forever turning; now he reacts much closer, so most of the time he doesn't have the chance to react, as we turn in the opposite direction.

It screws up my runs when it's his turn to run with me (I'm doing Couch to 5K) for timing, but the stress it alleviates is totally worth it no matter how frustrating it can be. After 30 seconds, I've replanned my route in my head with the lowest-chance of running into other dogs, with "escape" routes along the way.

Working with a high-anxiety dog is not easy at all. It's stressful, there will be many tears, and it takes a lot of energy. The rewards when after 1 year Fynn finally joined us on the couch, or after 2 years he snuggled with us, or 3 years all he wants to do is snuggle and give kisses is totally worth all the effort.

Your relationship with your dog will always be evolving.

If your mom hits your dog though as punishment, please find him a safe home where he can learn how to gain confidence, not have it taken away. He will either continue living in fear, or bite out of fear.

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
I agree with everyone else. He needs a home where he will be wanted, and with a family that understands his needs as a high energy dog.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
You seem to say he is bad where ever he is. I think you really do not have control of the situation. If I had him (and I did this with my foster boxer) I would put a leash on him and keep it on him, even in the house. I tied mine to my belt. You can constantly monitor him this way. He is controlling you right now because he has no consistent direction.
Older training manual but this was the training method by The Monks of New Skeet... Tieing a dog to you does many things in training him and you at the same time.
When I went back to visit parents my dad used old training methods and also fed table food encouraging begging. The next time I went I did not fuss at him. What I did say...if you feed the dog from the table she will get diarrhea. I will not clean up after her.....your choice dad. No further problems.

Mariannee

Avenue Veteran
I have one further suggestion about retrieving. Get yourself at least 25 feet of rope put a swivel link on the one end and make a loop on the other end for a handle. Sit down since you have said you have balance issues. Throw his ball or favorite retrieving tool when he gets it call him back to you and when he doesn't come start hauling him to you. Calling him the whole way and when he gets to you go insane with praise like he came freely and wasn't forced, repeat repeat repeat. After awhile he will be retrieving and he will return to you because when he does there is a big reward, good dog if he rolls over give him belly scratches whatever makes him the happiest. If you don't wear him out things as everyone has stated things will only get worse. Now he's tired very tired so give him a big drink a few snuggles and now walk him you will have much more control it wouldn't surprise me if he barked less or he might not at all. Good luck.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think it's more unfair on the dog to be hit than rehomed :(

As for no transportation to get to obedience school, I don't know if it's the same in the US, but here in Toronto (Ontario, Canada), I see dogs on busses all the time. Maybe that is an option? But while I know very little about obedience trainers, I think they would not be in favour of the dog to continue being hit.

birdle

I'm sorry you have bad balance but you really CAN'T run? I'm also sorry that the dog is so frustrating I know what that is like and I know how it is when your parents and you are all doing different things but it sounds like you don't really want to take any advice because it involves work. that's how you make things work, is you work at them. you can't throw the ball and trade it for another to make him drop it? I'm sorry the shelter lied but maybe they didn't thoroughly look at his teeth to check his age. can you pay a neighborhood jogger to take him with you on their run? like $5 a time?

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
what is your mom going to do say next month your dog bits he for being slapped , it is a crossed breed but still a pit bull, once a dog has had enough he will rezct and who gets the blame the dog like right now who is getting the blame for not knowing how to axt the dog
A DOG IS ONLY AS GOOD AS HIS OWNER HAS RAISED HIM , IF YOU WANT YOUR DOG TO BE GOOD TAKE CONTROLE GIVE HIM A CHANCE TIE HIM TO YOU STOP PUTTING THE BLAME ON THE DOG HECK IF YOU HAD A JOB YOU WOULDNT LAST LONG IF YOU KEPT FINDING EXCUSES WHY YOU DIDNT DO THE WORK AND IM SORY BUT ALL IM HEARING IS EXCUSES , WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOUR CHILD ACTED UP WELL THIS POOR DOG IS A CHILD DID YOUR MOM WHACK YOU EVERY TIME YOU ACTED UP
I HAVE HAD MOST OF MY 80 YRS DOGS AT 1 TIME I TOOK MY FRIENDS DOG SHE HAD FOR 7 YRS FROM THE DAY I BROUGHT HIM HOME MY PLACE HAD NO FENCE AND I OPENED MY DOOR AND LET HIM OUT I DIDNT STAY OUT WITH HIM WE WERE LIVING IN THE COUNTRY I WAS SURE HE WOULD GO BACK TO MY FRIENDS BUT HE DIDNT , NEVER ONCE EVEN WHEN HE SAW HRE PASS MY HOME HE DIDNT LEAVE THE PROPERTY . , SHE WAS SHOCKED THAT HE STAYED WITH ME , IN ALL MY YEARS I HAVE NEVER HAD PROBLEMS WITH STBENARDS GREAT DANES BOXERS ENGLISH BULLS PLEASE GIVE THIS DOG A LIFE HE DISERVES WORK HIM OR GIVE HIM UP BEFOR HE ATTACKS SOME ONE AND HAS TO BE PUT DOWN BECAUSE THIS I CAN SEE HAPPENING WINTER IS COMMING FAST WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO THEN IT IS NO FUN WALKING A DOG IN WINTER THAT IS TE REASON I HAVE A BIRD CAUSE I CANT GET OUT IN WINTER IM IN A WHEELCHAIR BUT EVEN WHEN I HAD A DOG WE WENT FOR HOURS ON WALKS EVEN IN WINTER ME IN MY WHEELCHAIR AS I SUGESTED GET A 3 WHEEL SCOOTER SECOND HAND ITS CHEAPER I FIND MINE ON INTERNET HAVE FOR 15 YRS SO YOU BEING OFF BALANCE THIS IS A SAFE WAY TO GET THE DOG OUT
HOPE TO HEAR SOME POSITIVE THINGS HAPPENING SOON IM SURE YOU CAN TURN THINGS AROUND IF YOU SET YOUR MIND TO IT ,

GOOD LUCK

Ocean

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
If someone hits the dog, all you are going to do is create a fearful dog that will not respect anyone, but rather fear them and a fearful dog can be dangerous, no matter what breed. He's a pup, I know that may not be what you wanted, but that's what he is. Dogs are incredibly smart, you just have to be persistent, giving up is not the answer no matter how tempting it is, you now have an obligation. Do you have a treadmill? there are many videos on youtube that teach about training your dog to jog on the treadmill. A three year old dog would still need as much activity a 9 month needs, that's what a young dog is. Do you know anyone with another big dog so you can socialize him? all young dogs need this, it's so important in any young dogs life. Dogs don't come trained, you have to do the work.

Last edited:

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
There is no excuse for hitting this dog. If your family feels the need to hit this dog out of frustration then he needs to be returned to the shelter. What happens on the day that this dog decides that he's had enough and decides to defend himself? He's a puppy now and this environment is teaching him to be fearful of humans. You've come up with a lot of excuses for why this dog cannot be trained, and honestly if you can't put the time in (and really all it takes is consistency and time) then the best thing you can do for him is find him someone who has the time and the consistency to help him shape his behaviors.

senorabarb

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
I'm sorry that this dog isn't working out for you and your family, but I do agree with what most of the others are saying, that your family should take the dog back to the shelter. It's not that you did anything wrong. The dog just is not a good match for your family. I have fostered Pit Bulls, and I currently own two. Pit Bulls are wonderful dogs, but they must be properly trained, and you have to keep working on it. Especially now, when the dog is a puppy, the owner absolutely has to be in control at all times. The dog needs consistency, and he needs to learn what his standards and limits are behavior wise. He needs to be socialized to meet other people and other dogs. He should not be disciplined with physical punishment.

As others have said, this dog is now fearful of humans and probably other dogs. He does not feel safe. As a result, a dangerous situation could occur. It is setting the dog up to react, bite, and seriously hurt someone or another dog if he is in a situation in which he feels threatened. Children are the ones who are often bitten because they run at dogs quickly, waving their arms. If a dog has not been properly trained, it will interpret this as aggressive behavior, and bite to defend itself. It is not too late for this dog to learn proper behavior and proper manners. It's just best that he be placed with different people.

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
First off, people keep saying we should get an older dog, let me repeat THE SHELTER LIED TO US. We were told he wasn't high energy, wasn't a pup. We got a pup, and are trying to work with it. Our other dog wasn't nearly this bad, he was very mellow. We've read tons of books, looked up tons of other information, but after repeated attempts it isn't working, it gets given up. No, @lukeykee I can't run. Running makes me fall, I know this. Happens every time.
I'm still reading through the other ideas given.
So far, mum has set up a makeshift agility course. He gets run on this. He gets walks. We do whatever we can to play with him. Today he got a two hour walk, but it did nothing. Now he's started barking at us for everything. He'll get wound up around bed time and be REALLY bad around bed time. We go to bed early, but there are nights we don't want to go to bed at 9:30...but the barking is the worst. He barks for everything and anything, and though we try to ignore it this leads to 1. my night turn working dad getting woken up, or 2. his barking ESCALATING and suddenly he's jumping and nipping at us. We can't ignore that, now, can we?
I tell my parents not to hit him (he gets hit on the rump, never the face or otherwise) with a rolled newspaper. We tried shaking bottles with coins in, and water bottles, but both just make him bark at us, so those don't work. When he's barking he needs to stop immediately, or else he'll wake dad up. My dad has the fan on in his room, sometimes has headphones on - he's still woken up.
I really hate how you all speak so badly of my parents, I know what they're doing is bad, but you're freaking blaming me when I can do NOTHING in the situation when I suggest things and nothing happens - that is, I'll say 'ignore the barking' and the barking doesn't stop and dad wakes up and yells. Or when I try to be firm with the dog (NOT HITTING HIM), I simply give him on command as sternly as I can (ie go lay down), and all it results in is his disobeying or barking at me. He doesn't listen to mum or me, no matter what we do. He only listens to dad, and dad, like I said, is much more dominant in his training. When mum's at work I try to train him with more positive methods, but even I get frustrated because he won't get it, or, worse, parents will totally do the opposite, leading me to be at square one. We can't convince dad to try a different way of training because he is actually getting results.
I should also mention that during all this, Spector does not act aggressive. He nips, yes, and he barks - but he is getting wound up, excited. His hair is not raised, he is not showing signs of fear or aggression, other than the nipping - his teeth are still coming in. We are not abusing or neglecting this dog. When he's good and sweet and nice, he gets all the love, all the treats, that we can give.

As far as I know, @JosienBB only small animals in carriers or service dogs are allowed on buses. I've never seen a dog on a bus.
I know it sounds like I'm coming up with excuses, because, well, what the hell am I supposed to freaking do? I'M TRYING THE BEST I CAN. IM ONE PERSON. ONE FREAKING PERSON. My parents are the ones with the money, the ones who are with the dog most of the day once school starts. Not freaking me. I'm doing the best i can, I walk him as far as i can when mum works. I work with him. I do my best, but it's not freaking working.
Obedience classes are a no-go for the following reasons:
1. My dad works night turn, Sunday-Thursday, and recently, on Fridays occasionally. He sleeps about 90% of the days he works. (8am-12pm, then from 330pm-9:00pm). He only goes out on these days if he HAS to. He needs to relax and rest during the time he's home.
2. My dad is the only one in the house who drives.
3. My mum works 3 days a week, 12 hours.(Roughly 5am-8pm, as far as when she's gone from home) When she comes home she is tired, days off usually mean days resting. She works most weekends, and has no control over this. She's an RN and is required to work so many weekends.
4. I don't drive. I have classes Monday-Friday.
5. Dad hates driving with the dog in the car, even if the dog is restrained or in a crate. He doesn't like going places with the dog.

Anyway, the real reason I replied was because mum has given Spec one more week, she can't take any more of his misbehavior. we're are our energy's end with having to constantly yelling at this dog and being forced to hit him because he won't do what we ask otherwise. He won't drop dangerous things he finds, he won't stop barking, he won't generally CALM DOWN when he needs to.
I'm in freaking tears over this and I come here just to hear all these critiques like I'm not doing anything, and I hate it.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Ok take a deep breath Anastasia. You know this isn't going to change in the next week and that your parents are going to get rid of the dog. Take this opportunity to try and find him a home who can provide what he needs. You're still in control of this dogs destiny and can still help him. You're going to have to get out there and make it known that he needs a good home. If your parents know you're doing this it may buy you more time to actually find that home.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with John. You have made every attempt to try and make this work. This dog, for lack of a better phrase, is just too much dog for you. He is going to need intensive training and unfortunately your home is not the place. I know you are sad about this, but remember, he is as unhappy as you are. The best you can do for him is either return him or find him a very experienced person that can work with him. Don't beat yourself up. :hug8:

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
:hug8: Take it easy on yourself. Life happens... maybe you and your family were just meant to be a temp place for him to be until he found his forever home. Hope it all works out for the best!

senorabarb

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
Anastasia, we can tell that you are doing all you can to help Spec, but he would be too much dog even if your whole family were on the same page in training him. Don't blame yourself. You have tried your best. Your parents may have signed a contract that if they decided not to keep Spec, they would return him to the shelter. This is standard practice.

Where I used to live, the shelter would not let people foster pit bulls unless they had had previous experience with them. They were also very careful about who they let adopt a pit bull. The family had to have had prior experience with a large dog, and they had to agree to take the dog to training classes.

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
@senorabarb Our old dog, Jack, was larger than a pitbull. He was just so much more mellow than Spector.
@Yoshi&Reza @Greycloud
Dad refuses to let us take him back to the shelter, saying that no one else will adopt him once they find out what's wrong with him and that he's a puppy. The shelter site says they only put animals down due to disease/behavior problems, and his issues might be considered such. I tell mum we should take him back, as much as it breaks my heart, and mum says that it won't happen because dad insists this is just a puppy thing and isn't fair to Spector.

birdle

you need to then call the shelter and tell them what is happening to your dog. what isn't fair to spector is hitting him. They may come and remove him. that is a good thing, for everyone.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Then your DAD needs to step up here and put in the time and effort to get a handle on this dog.

Tell him I told him so.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
you need to then call the shelter and tell them what is happening to your dog. what isn't fair to spector is hitting him. They may come and remove him. that is a good thing, for everyone.
This. Hitting this dog, no matter how it's justified, is wrong.