• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So Frustrated...

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
So my pit-bull, Spector, we got him from the Animal Rescue League in May, not long after Watson died. We were told he was a 3 year old, healthy, mid-energy level dog. Turns out we got a 9month old pup with pneumonia. Which means he's actually high energy, he was just sick. Well thanks, shelter, for lying to us. You can argue they can't tell age but he has teeth coming in, and how on earth can you not tell pneumonia? It's fairly simple.
So we brought him home, bonded with him in the meanwhile. So we decided it wasn't right to take him back.
In the meantime we're struggling with a dog who is just, bad, partly because he has so much energy we weren't prepared for, partly because he's a pup - which we didn't want - and because he's just bad.
I suggest multiple times we take him to obedience training, and though my mum agrees, we have no transportation. Mum and I don't drive, dad could only take us on Saturdays, and maybe not EVERY Saturday. The fact the whole three of us can't ALWAYS be there just makes it hard. So there's nothing else we can do except uselessly try to train this dog whose being, pardon my french, an bum. :arghh:

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
I would sugest you get a cage and make sure every one uses the same words when you want him to do things id also get a choker and a strong leash if need be when your home keep him on the leash say for an hr walk with him in the house where you have a bit of control make hin sit stay work that way do it a few times a day on the leash every one taking turns it sounds crazy but its all training and if able take him for long walks at night hope some of this helps when walking him make sure he is at your side not in frint of you or behind you but also make sure he has went pee befor you start your walk
gl and please enjoy him it will all work out im sure and doing this you will see your reward

Mariannee

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Off leash my assistance dog is a real Gem. Put him on a leash, My children have to walk him as I am too disabled, he turns into a hyper knock you down pull you on your face meat head. I should have really crate trained him from the get go and I didn't so when I go out without him he suffers a lot of separation anxiety poor baby. I highly recommend crate training and suggest a face collar to help with the hyperness on leash. I agree with Doll and she is totally correct in my opinion the more you can tire your pup out the better for your nerves. Good luck and I am glad he's not sick anymore and sorry you were duped as to his age and temperament. Good luck! :hug8:

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
@dolldid and @Mariannee He is crate trained, as well as potty trained. Depending on the weather, he gets walks almost daily. These range from 30 minutes to two hours. Neither mum nor I feel safe walking him at night (my father works night turn), and he's surprisingly good at walking. It's inside the house he's a complete mess.
@Dotty4 Obedience training, anything to make him listen better. He KNOWS most basic commands (sit, speak, lay down, give paw, stay), but he's stubborn and there's about a 50/50 chance he'll listen.

Like tonight, it's midnight now, it started around 11. He had been walked in the afternoon and was fine all evening. He decided because my mum was on the phone with my niece and not him, that it was time for him to bark. Loudly. I live in a house, where our neighbors are an arm's length away. Mum tried to ignore him but it's freaking 11 o'clock, he can't be barking that late.
So mum eventually stopped talking and came in to sit on the couch. He lost his mind, started nipping mum, who would sternly tell him to stop, sometimes smacking him as so far verbal commands just don't get him to listen. Not aggressive nipping, he wanted to play, but we don't want him nipping. He then began running around, and for whatever reason, decided to bite my mum's feet as he was running around. He drew blood. Mum put him in the crate, but he likes to poop in their when he's upset, and he's even chewed the little plastic pan the crate has in less than two hours, so he no longer has that. He was in there for two hours because my mum left for work in the morning, (early morning), I'm asleep, and dad comes home a little later. He's never home alone out of the cage, and only on the weekends is he ever in there for more than a few hours.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
:highfive: :hug8: Do you have a bicycle? Give that dog a good run for 45 minutes every day and you will see a different dog.

Taking a dog for a human walk a few blocks is not going to do anything. You need to "sprint" that dog.

The only way to burn that energy off is to actually burn it.

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
Do you have a bicycle? Give that dog a good run for 45 minutes every day and you will see a different dog.

The only way to burn that energy off is to actually burn it.
But we're DOING that, and he's still bad.
No, we don't. I never learned to ride, my balance is too bad.

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
I would read up on NILF training (Nothing in life is free). Maybe get a Kong toy, load with peanut butter, stick it in the freezer and give it to him when you need him focused on something else. Other than that, he is at the stage where he will be full of energy. It will pass in a few months hopefully but until then, try to find a dog park or something.

I know some will either disagree with this or find it gross, but I would give my standard poodle a frozen raw turkey neck from the grocery store. She would work on that for up to an hour sometimes. It burned some energy, satisfied her craving to chew, and most importantly kept her busy. Do not cook it or anything.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
As I said. Walking a dog like that is not going to be good enough. You have to do something that is really going to tucker that dog out. You're not doing that.

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
I would read up on NILF training (Nothing in life is free). Maybe get a Kong toy, load with peanut butter, stick it in the freezer and give it to him when you need him focused on something else. Other than that, he is at the stage where he will be full of energy. It will pass in a few months hopefully but until then, try to find a dog park or something.
He has a Kong toy, he empties it within an hour - but we haven't tried freezing. I'll give that a go. No dog parks are within walking distance, and everything online says 'don't take pitbulls to dog parks' because pitbulls do not generally get along with other dogs. He went to one once but luckily no other dogs showed up.
I glanced at NILF, but how will that help his bad behavior? I can understand ignoring him, but how can you ignore a barking dog that risks waking your neighbors, or has something in his mouth and won't drop it (in spite of knowing the command because if he wants to he'll immediately drop it). Are you supposed to just let him tear it up?

EDIT: I'll look into the turkey neck, not sure if our grocery store has them.

Last edited:

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
I'm not blessed with training ability or knowledge.... My standard poodle was hyper especially at the 6 - 12 month stage which is normal. When I started the NILF training it really made her stop and think about how she could get what she wanted. That meant no walk until she comes and sits down in front of me calmly. Or, I don't put the food bowl down until she backs up and sits. Same with opening doors and what not. It gives them better self control if that makes sense. They figure it out eventually and will start to do it on their own. Takes time, especially with dogs that have more energy. But remember, a tired dog is a good dog.

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I really like to recommend leerburg for training videos. They have tons, and a lot of free ones. Leerburg On Demand | The Best Source of Free Dog Training Videos On the Web
As mentioned before, this dog needs training, a job of some sort and his energy released. If you can't get out to do agility or ralley, maybe teach him tricks?? Yes basic commands is training, but he is bored and young. I'm sorry the shelter lied to you :( , shame on them. If he is to much dog for you, is there a pit bull rescue close by?

Mariannee

Avenue Veteran
Just a word to the wise. Please don't take this as any kind of judgement because it isn't not one bit. You are sure his nipping isn't aggressive and you are probably very correct but does he understand that frustrated taps and smacks are not aggression on your Moms part? A Pitt that turns is a very sad and scary thing. I understand bonding and trying your best to love and provide a home for any dog but some dogs are just too much for some families and rehoming may be an option to explore. I was very stubborn about a badly abused adopted dog I took in once worked with him for 22 months. I had to give up when he suddenly turned for no reason and attacked my son's face. I had never ever raised my hand or my voice aggressively not even once in all those months and because of previous abuse by another male person he attacked my son and my son still carries the scars ten years later. I wish I hadn't let it get to that and I feel badly to this day. I personally don't think there is any shame in rehoming a dog if he is beyond your experience or skill. But everyone here is correct they usually outgrow puppy behavior by 2 or at least 4 depending on the dog some as early as a year too.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Do you have a yard? Challenge your dogs mind. Seek games are good. Agility type activities are fun and they love running a course and showing off. They are loves and would like to be lap dogs. Running through an old tire, building something to climb on or run across. Praise whenever he does something correct. Basic obedience can be boring. At his age do a few simple routines then stop and do something else. Games are fun Teach him to turn around. Turn arounds seem to be fun for them and can be a behavior to resort to when they are stressed. Do you dance? Dance with your dog. Look up some videos on you tube.

Couch potatoes can stretch legs out and have the dog jump over your legs and then reward. Teach him to go under. All of these things are interaction and fun and not too hard to do.

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
Just a word to the wise. Please don't take this as any kind of judgement because it isn't not one bit. You are sure his nipping isn't aggressive and you are probably very correct but does he understand that frustrated taps and smacks are not aggression on your Moms part? A Pitt that turns is a very sad and scary thing. I understand bonding and trying your best to love and provide a home for any dog but some dogs are just too much for some families and rehoming may be an option to explore. I was very stubborn about a badly abused adopted dog I took in once worked with him for 22 months. I had to give up when he suddenly turned for no reason and attacked my son's face. I had never ever raised my hand or my voice aggressively not even once in all those months and because of previous abuse by another male person he attacked my son and my son still carries the scars ten years later. I wish I hadn't let it get to that and I feel badly to this day. I personally don't think there is any shame in rehoming a dog if he is beyond your experience or skill. But everyone here is correct they usually outgrow puppy behavior by 2 or at least 4 depending on the dog some as early as a year too.

So sorry for your son. Sometimes its very difficult with pit bulls. Either they aren't allowed anywhere, or people are terrified of your dog, or they are just too much like you said. I had one and she started turning also and I chose to re home her while I was pregnant. Wasn't a risk I could take.

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't want to sound mean or cruel... But.... If all other other training means have failed, they do make bark collars.
:backout:
You need to know what your doing with them and educate yourself on how to use them properly and you need to know your dog.

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
@KimKim @Sadieladie1994
Ill work on games; we have a yard, but it isn't fenced in so he must be on a leash at all times. He hasn't really understood that we will play with him, provided he isn't nipping us (ie fetch). I don't think the yard is big enough for an agility course - or well, it's probably long enough. Not wide enough.
One of the few things he does do with us is chase a red laser light haha, which we do daily, but can't do while my dad is sleeping.

@Mariannee
We think he was abused in his old 'home' - he was found as a stray in a bad neighborhood, according to the shelter - and reacted, well, scared, the first time he was smacked a little too hard. He even found an old belt my dad has, and when my mum took it off of him, he cowered, scared to death. We never hit him with such, it had to be from his old home.
His nipping is only in play, it's only when we're scratching,petting him - you see him get crazier gradually. His mouth drops open and soon it's time for nips. He doesn't usually draw blood, today was probably the first day, but it still hurts. His wound up ness can be hard to predict, he'll get crazy at times that make no sense, he'll get crazy when it's obvious everyone is going to bed.
We HAVE owned a dog before, that was my lab/chow mix Jack, who died this year at 11 years old. We got him at 9 weeks old, but my parents were younger then and he was a lot more mellow and laid back. Spector probably gets yelled at more than one day than Jack ever did in his whole life.

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
They make long lines or flexi leashes that will make it easier for him to play outside with you. :) How about getting a harness and having him pull you on a skateboard for roller blades?

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
I think for Spector, it is very important to not yell or make a big fuss out of things. Excitable dogs will feed off anything! Abby thinks its a game when I raise my voice to her... off she goes running through the house!! If he nips, try to stop playing and just turn your back to him. If you go to a hardware store or something and get a really long rope, you can do a lot with him while still having some control of the situation. I am only offering my opinion on some things that I have personally done with my girls and seen results.

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
They make long lines or flexi leashes that will make it easier for him to play outside with you. :) How about getting a harness and having him pull you on a skateboard for roller blades?
That sounds like an amazing idea LOL. Just having him pull things in general sounds like it'd be a good match for him..
I'll look into just about anything, and ask parents about it. I can't guarantee it'll be tried, but I'll try my best.
((Who would have guessed my bird would be more well behaved than my dog, lol)).