• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So cute

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
Saw these cuties for sale been wanting one for a few years now. The only thing that scares me is the fact that they can carry salmonella. Anyone who has owned reptiles or aquatic reptiles have you ever been affected by this illness or know of anyone who has.

Attachments

SkyLark

Jogging around the block
I have kept my fair share of aquatic animals, and I have never contacted salmonella. As long as you wash your hands before and after touching them, don't touch your face after touching them or the water they live in, etc, then you should be good. @taxidermynerd has a few animals of his own, maybe he can tell you more

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Yes, any amphibian or fish can carry salmonella. As long as you don't kiss them or something and wash your hands after handling, you'll probably be fine. I've had fish for 5 years and amphibians (frogs specifically) for 4, and haven't gotten any kind of illness yet :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@riddick07 has a wicked collection of reptiles. @hrafn also had an assortment of reptiles but I am not sure if she still has some, I think she does. @Mizzely is another who has had reptiles and birds I think. We have quite a few members with fish and ponds and all sorts of animals...... I think you will find that safety all comes down to hygiene practices for things like salmonella.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh aye, plenty of us are herp lovers! I personally currently have snakes and lizards of several species, and in the past have also had newts and frogs. As others have stated, protecting yourself (and your other animals) from salmonella really just comes down to cleanliness and keeping your herps away from your face. If you wash their decorations in your sink, make sure you sanitise it afterward; I have specific brushes to clean each of my herps' dishes and belongings, which are kept separate from other cleaning utensils and which get disinfected after each use.

With an axolotl I'd imagine you're not nearly as likely to contract salmonella as with other species, just due to the fact that they're aquatic and you're not going to be routinely handling them. Wash your hands and arms thoroughly any time you go into the tank to do maintenance, and you'll be A-ok.

Axies are really fun little guys, if you do end up getting one I'd love to hear some updates about them!

Mantis64

Oh aye, plenty of us are herp lovers! I personally currently have snakes and lizards of several species, and in the past have also had newts and frogs. As others have stated, protecting yourself (and your other animals) from salmonella really just comes down to cleanliness and keeping your herps away from your face. If you wash their decorations in your sink, make sure you sanitise it afterward; I have specific brushes to clean each of my herps' dishes and belongings, which are kept separate from other cleaning utensils and which get disinfected after each use.

With an axolotl I'd imagine you're not nearly as likely to contract salmonella as with other species, just due to the fact that they're aquatic and you're not going to be routinely handling them. Wash your hands and arms thoroughly any time you go into the tank to do maintenance, and you'll be A-ok.

Axies are really fun little guys, if you do end up getting one I'd love to hear some updates about them!
Still deciding if I do get one I will post pictures and give you guys updates.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yeah it's basic hygiene. Just wash your hands between caring for pets :) I also would make sure that the tank is covered or inaccessible to your bird so that they can't drink the tank water.

riddick07

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
I have 60ish snakes and 2 lizards. Never been sick. Just basic hygiene practices. Plus, F10 is a friend:lol:

I had 70ish at one point but sold a few to friends or back to their breeders.