• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So confused and my first female parrot

mandymmr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
My female CAG (age 6) laid a non fertile egg. So far it is only one. She is interested in it and tending to it. I have sub eggs on their way. I also have a male CAG. Now I am NOT trying to breed! Let’s that be known, but I understand it may happen. I have read there is birth control for parrots!??? ANYWAYS, now that you know most of the facts, here are my question/s.

I was told by the breeder (that I got her from as an adoption as older pet that someone needed a home for. I wouldn’t buy a breeded bird) to keep her in her cage and not let her out for the next 30 days as that is the time it takes for the complete “egg” cycle.

WHY CAN’T SHE COME OUT? They (both CAG’S) AD1E01DF-837F-46D1-9227-68D9BC68FF4D.jpeg have always been non caged and free to roam for the most part. The only time they are caged is when I am not home, so it seems very unfair to keep her locked up now for 30 days.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Beautiful picture!
I have females of other species i hsve had eggs once in a 10yr gcc. I let her out. I also pulled they eggs as she laid tgrm 4 totally. No issues never laid fir tge rest if her life. But I've heard other advice against that.

I have a quaker who laid an egg a few years ago I pulled it and I let her out of cage. 2 years later she laid one. Then a second the next day I pulled them and let her out of the cage as normal. With her it didn't cause issues. Some species like budgies and cockatiel I wouldn't pull.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I think she said not to let her out just because they’re extremely territorial at this time and have no interest in anything but sitting on their eggs.

My female CAG lays eggs once in awhile (sitting on two right now). She’s a lone CAG. I‘ll still open her door and give her the opportunity to come out, but she rarely does. Once in a blue moon she’ll come out in the late evening, sit on top of her cage, chew a toy and then go back inside.

She’s territorial inside her cage at this time but OK when she’s out. I don’t really try to handle her much while she’s sitting on eggs. You just have to know your bird.

Good luck.

mandymmr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I think she said not to let her out just because they’re extremely territorial at this time and have no interest in anything but sitting on their eggs.

My female CAG lays eggs once in awhile (sitting on two right now). She’s a lone CAG. I‘ll still open her door and give her the opportunity to come out, but she rarely does. Once in a blue moon she’ll come out in the late evening, sit on top of her cage, chew a toy and then go back inside.

She’s territorial inside her cage at this time but OK when she’s out. I don’t really try to handle her much while she’s sitting on eggs. You just have to know your bird.

Good luck.
This really helps. This is her first clutch and she is confused herself on what to do :lol: so she is not doing anything that should be “normal behavior” for a parrot that laid an egg. I heard 3-4 eggs, we only have 1 so far

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
This really helps. This is her first clutch and she is confused herself on what to do :lol: so she is not doing anything that should be “normal behavior” for a parrot that laid an egg. I heard 3-4 eggs, we only have 1 so far
She may lay a second egg in a day or three depending on when the first one was laid.

If she doesn’t try to incubate them you might able to resume regular activities. They don’t really start sitting on them until all the eggs are laid, though.

mandymmr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
She may lay a second egg in a day or three depending on when the first one was laid.

If she doesn’t try to incubate them you might able to resume regular activities. They don’t really start sitting on them until all the eggs are laid, though.
She does sit on her’s while in her cage, but if she is allowed out she roams all over. Today (Christmas) she was so overwhelmed & excited as there were TONS of boxes to play in

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
She does sit on her’s while in her cage, but if she is allowed out she roams all over. Today (Christmas) she was so overwhelmed & excited as there were TONS of boxes to play in
Ah, I see. That might be why the breeder said don’t let her out then. If she’s out she’ll get distracted and won’t sit and get that out of her system.

And she might continue to lay eggs instead of sitting on them for 30 days and getting it completely out of her system.

Reactions: tka

mandymmr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
So keep her confined? She moves that poor egg all over the cage. I can’t believe it hasn’t broken yet. So far I swear she’s built 100 nests :huh: