• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So, a few questions.

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
I really want to teach my budgies some tricks but heard that it’s hard if you have two? I want to keep them flighted but it’s hard because they bump into windows and walls no matter what I do to stop them. How do I train them to fly correctly? They completely ignore every effort I make to teach them step up, the only way they’ll step up is if I’ve got millet that they can’t reach. I’ve also tried target training but can you do that without teaching step up first? And when I try target training they bite the stick, but only out of fear. They attacked it. Is that ok? I’m now hesitant to take them out of cage every day because every time I let them fly, they get hurt. So how do I train if they ignore everything I try? And it’s not a problem of giving them the wrong treats, I give them millet, strawberries, kale, and Avi-Cakes and they love them. So what am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
For one you do you not need to teach step up to target train your bird you do you not want your bird afraid of the stick you need to slowly get your bird used to rustic I would tape some millet to the end of the stick to associate the stick with good things you R approaching the steps properly rewarding them with millet when they step up @Zara

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I want to keep them flighted but it’s hard because they bump into windows and walls no matter what I do to stop them
Close the curtains to stop them flying in to windows.
If you see they are bumping into walls in the same place, put a bird stand there (or a coat rack) for them to land on.

Your birds will only learn to manouver around the room by actually flying in it, so it´s important to bird proof it and let them fly.

As for the training, maybe @Leih has som target training tips.

Here are some helpful links;

BirdWorld

Your birds will only learn to manouver around the room by actually flying in it, so it´s important to bird proof it and let them fly
How do I bird proof it? I don’t have curtains or a bird room, and my whole house is connected, without doors separating the living room, kitchen, dining room, etc. I also have a lot of siblings and cousins who are constantly running around which can get overwhelming. The budgies fly in sporadic patterns, just kind of panicking. How can I get them to calm down if they aren’t fully tame yet?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Buy some curtains. (even those thin, mostly transparent ones - I have those)
To separate rooms, you can use tension rods in hallways, or in larger spaces, put a line up and hang curtains on it - you may find it cheaper to get a large sheet of fabric and poke some holes along one edge.
Allow out of cage time when the house it at it´s quietest.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
You can definitely teach target training without step up first, and you can use the target to teach step up. It is difficult to train a pair, this is why my linnies aren't "tame." Can you separate them for short periods of time, ie let one out and keep one in so you can work with the one that is out? If they freak out you may want to start there, with only short periods apart.
Targeting is really easy, and they typically pick it up within a few minutes. Together, my linnies wanted nothing to do with it, so I should try separating them. I use a chopstick and a clicker. Show them the treat,touch the end of the chopstick to their beak,click, then give the treat. Do this a few times then start encouraging them to touch the target on their own. Don't forget to get really excited when they do it right, I find the added praise from me helps.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Also you can start target training while they are in the cage if they are so fearful outside. This was they will become more responsive once they are out. You need to teach them what training is to begin with.

clarousel

If they're biting the stick out of fear maybe try a different stick or maybe try de-sensitising them to it. So hold the stick around them/the bird and wait till they're calm before you reward them.

Not sure if this works but just an idea!