• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Snood injury

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
My Molly rubbed off her snood and I’m not sure what to do as my vet won’t be open for a while. I cleaned the injury as best I could and really am worried. She may or may not make it, I really don’t know.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Oh dear. I am sorry that happened. Cleaning up the wound is the best form of immediate care. I would possibly also seperate her from the flock in case a curious flock mate picks at her wound.

I hope she recovers smoothly.

Edit: you said she may not make it. Is she listless or losing a lot of blood? If so make sure to keep her in a darker space so she is calm and help her stay warm.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hopefully she will be ok till your vet is in and able to speak to you. I would keep her separate from the others too.

Do you know how and where she was able to rub it off?

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Molly is the only survivor of a clutch of three. My guess she got upset I wasn’t there and rubbed her head and beak raw. She’s a lot better this morning, her snood is still there, but I have to keep her beak clean as she managed to crack it on the cage bars. A bird cage is not an apporiate brooder. Despite that, i had to choose between her feed, medication, etc. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to acquire more chicks of any species so I’ll likely have to ‘fill in the blanks’.

I added a photo of little Molly Blu Wobbles.

Raising a baby turkey is one of the hardest types I’ve done yet.

Attachments

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Note - I’ll panic post. To clarify I am worried because the blood from her beak was leaking into her nasal cavity and she was breathing hard. That’s clearing up and she’s starting to do better. She chased me clear across the house this morning when I thought she was asleep. I’m worried about adding antibiotics when her feed is medicated.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Raising a baby turkey is one of the hardest types I’ve done yet.
Yes to this. Turkeys are very fragile little bubs, when compared to other fowl. They aren't as pushy and are prone to picking up illnesses.

I am so sorry you lost the other chicks. :( I hope you find some companions for her soon.:fingerscrossed:

Do you have her on a turkey specific diet?

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Very much so, fashionfobie. Giving my birds a proper diet is essential to their continued health and life span.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Any update :fingerscrossed: