• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sneezing.. oh and Zombie is finally here!

Zombie08

Moving in
42391B83-0B04-4494-AAF2-4443C43636DD.jpeg
so I just got Zombie this weekend and unfortunately have to go to work today. But this morning he/she is doing this quick sneezing thing. It’s fast and stops. Only 2x that I’ve witnessed.. Doesn’t seem bothered by it, and keeps playing and eating.. but I haven’t heard it yet.
To refresh anyone’s memory- I live in an RV, I’ve gotten rid of any Teflon heaters, cookware etc and haven’t used anything like that since he’s been home. I am actually wondering if the air is too dry?? I see a little on humidifiers.. and he is in a small room. As far away from vents, which are covered so they don’t blow directly on him.. but they’re still in the room and pushing air never the less.. so any recommendations?? Or am I being over paranoid?!
Thank you in advance

Shilpa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shilpa
It might be just normal sneezing. See if he does it right after drinking water, taking a bath, going in a dusty area, etc. It might be that the air is too dry as well. A video might help but also wait for others to reply just because I'm not as experienced. If you're interested in getting a humidifier, you would have to get a bird safe one.
Zombie looks so fierce and tall in the photo ;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's s a cutie! Are they wet sneezes or dry sneezes? Dry are usually normal. Wet can be cause for concern.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Alien J has a tiel and lives in an RV, hope she sees this and can give some advice.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Congrats on Zombie, they’re adorable! Great to see another turq pineapple baby. :heart:

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Handsome little devil. I wouldn't worry too much about a couple of sneezes, I thought it was funny when I first heard Nibble sneeze. Wet sneezes to need to be checked out as was pointed out. If you are worried it's to dry you can pick up a Vicks Vaporizer, about $10.00-$15.00 and use that. I have one and it helps me.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Where are you located? Are you living the moving RV lifestyle or are you in a permanent space? We live with an incredible dust problem as we travel mainly in the Southern California desert. RVs aren't noted for their great insulation. TD sneezes often and I've learned not to worry about it. We all sneeze often (the two dogs, my fiance and I). If ever I see discharge or if the sneezing becomes more frequent, I'd be heading to his vet (or a closer avian vet depending on how far away we are from his). We are looking at an air purifier. I suffer from numerous allergies so getting one will be a win/win!

Your bird is precious! Congratulations!

Zombie08

Moving in
I’m in Southern Oregon. So its cold and wet outside right now. I haven’t heard any sneezes since that morning, I was just worried about going to work and there being a problem. No discharge from the nostrils. Now we’re biting like no other! My fingers hurt and this morning she went for my neck and actually got blood. Ugh..
I’ve read a ton about how to stop the biting but everything contradicts each other. “Hold the beak right and when the bird lets up, you let up”
“Blow on it” “put it down on the ground” “make a loud noise or like you’re in pain”

I just don’t know which route to take. I’ve tried the beak one of its my fingers and I pissed her off more lol.
This mornings neck bite hurt so much! I had to move her cuz she kept coming back up, but I’m not sure if she was going for my freckles or what. She didn’t seem mad. I gave her paper balls to grab instead and she just throws them..

Any advice? Or books? Or websites to look stuff up on?

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Hate to tell you but the best way to avoid bleeding is to learn to "Read" your bird. At first they will bite if scared, unsure, want to be left alone, trying to get their way. BB bit like no other bird I'd had for a few weeks. Then he seemed to calm down but will still nip when climbing on me as he doesn't understand where shirt stop and skin starts. He is also very cage territorial and is in a flight cage, no feeder doors. So I have to reach in to change food and water bowls and he's there with a vengeance, I use a seagrass mat to block him but he will still nail me every once in a while. I can tell when he wants to go back to his cage as he starts getting restless and I know that's when he's most likely to nip. Another thing he loves to do is play with the trackball (strange computer mouse) and he will get wound up and is likely to bite whatever he can reach so I avoid that.

In other words the best way to not get bit is the learn why he bites in the first place and it's different for every bird. GCC do have a reputation for being nippy too.

My late Parrotlet was named Streak, BUT his nickname was Streak Da Beak, want to guess why? I photoshopped a photo as a joke but at times I thought the joke was on me.

Me Bite.jpg

Zombie08

Moving in
Yeah,
Hate to tell you but the best way to avoid bleeding is to learn to "Read" your bird. At first they will bite if scared, unsure, want to be left alone, trying to get their way. BB bit like no other bird I'd had for a few weeks. Then he seemed to calm down but will still nip when climbing on me as he doesn't understand where shirt stop and skin starts. He is also very cage territorial and is in a flight cage, no feeder doors. So I have to reach in to change food and water bowls and he's there with a vengeance, I use a seagrass mat to block him but he will still nail me every once in a while. I can tell when he wants to go back to his cage as he starts getting restless and I know that's when he's most likely to nip. Another thing he loves to do is play with the trackball (strange computer mouse) and he will get wound up and is likely to bite whatever he can reach so I avoid that.

In other words the best way to not get bit is the learn why he bites in the first place and it's different for every bird. GCC do have a reputation for being nippy too.

My late Parrotlet was named Streak, BUT his nickname was Streak Da Beak, want to guess why? I photoshopped a photo as a joke but at times I thought the joke was on me.

I know it’ll take time.. I’m trying to figure out what her body language is saying. After the neck thing I put her on her cage cuz I needed a second to see what she did and she just climbs around her cage like she wants outs still.I was even scratching her neck this morning. She was good then in the middle she bit my finger again.. too hard for just curiosity.

TinyDino

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Holly
I'd get a cheap hygrometer before you buy a humidifier. It'll let you know if you're already good or if you need a humidifier after all. Then if you do have to buy a humidifier it'll help you know if it's doing the job. Parrots prefer a range of about 50-70%. I aim for 50% in my home (though in the winter it can be difficult). I live in a semi-arid climate. You'll probably have an easier time where you are but running a heater can really dry out the air.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I live in a semi-arid climate.
I not only am a full time RV'er, but am based, for the whole of the "winter" season, in Southern California. Dry as an old bone at the Salton Sea. All five of us suffer from excessive dryness. TD more than the rest of us, bcuz, it's often too chilly to bathe him (too hard to keep him from all drafts in the RV). We just keep a pan of water on the stove... TD gets quite "dusty", but so far is thriving!

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Your baby is beautiful, welcome to the forum! :heart: Here are a couple of different resources on body language. It is hard to tell sometimes what mood they are in and knowing what to look for can help prevent the bites and other issues. The blowing and holding the beak are not good ways to prevent being bit and can cause further issues. Any kind of negative reinforcement typically isn't a good thing. Clicker/Target training is a great positive way to build trust and not get bit as well.

Body Language
PetCoach - Ask a Vet Online 24/7

Understanding Your Bird's Body Language

Clicker/Target training
Clicker Training Classroom