• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sneezing cockatoo

RoccoB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rocco Bateman
Hi for the past few days my cockatoo has been sneezing more often than normal my room is decently dusty as he wont bath or shower under any means so thats one of my suspicions but my worst case is a fungal infection as mould grew in a dark corner of his cage (i removed it quickly) and i also had black mould on my wall for a few days before u could remove it properly and it was a while ago so the symptoms could've arose now but i have a smaller parrot that hasn't got any symptoms of anything. I just need some advice on what to do or if i should be too overly concerned as I'm going away for this weekend as much as i don't want to i haven't got a choice I'm going to dust tomorrow and i might even try to get him in a steamy room so i can confirm whether my rooms too dry or not.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If sneezing is the only thing you are seeing and you think the room is decently dusty then I personally would give the room a thorough vacuuming and wet wipe over all other surfaces to remove as much dust as possible (dust is not healthy for you or your bird to be breathing in!) and see how the sneezing goes after a good clean up.

If you are seeing other health issues then please do share what they are so better/more appropriate advice can be given.

RoccoB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rocco Bateman
If sneezing is the only thing you are seeing and you think the room is decently dusty then I personally would give the room a thorough vacuuming and wet wipe over all other surfaces to remove as much dust as possible (dust is not healthy for you or your bird to be breathing in!) and see how the sneezing goes after a good clean up.

If you are seeing other health issues then please do share what they are so better/more appropriate advice can be given.
To be honest as soon as i wake up every morning i cough multiple times even if i have a drink and i never know what causes it. It may be the dust i have thought about getting an air purifier.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
To be honest as soon as i wake up every morning i cough multiple times even if i have a drink and i never know what causes it. It may be the dust i have thought about getting an air purifier.
Oh boy that’s not good. Breathing in bird dust is not good for your long term health. Please do a very thorough cleanup and read up on the dangers of breathing in bird dust.
I’d honestly also recommend not sleeping in the same room as a cockatoo.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't stress enough that you need to get an air purifier and remove your Too from your room if at all possible or at least at night while your sleeping.
I just had to rehome my Linnie because I've had multiple birds in my room with me the last 17 years and even though I went above and beyond to keep my room clean and ran an air purifier for years it still didn't make a difference and eventually a developed an allergy to bird dust and non of the species I kept were even close to being as dusty as a cockatoo. Their dust can severely impact your lungs and cause Bird Keepers/Fanciers Lung.

Also the fact you've had black mold in his cage and on the walls is also concerning. I'd really urge you at the very least to take your Too out of your room and do an deep and thorough cleaning of everything especially the walls were you know you've had mold. That is terrible for you to be breathing in even if you think you've wiped it away the spores can be left behind. There's pages online that can tell you how best to clean the area for the best change of removing the mold fully but most likely you'll need to keep your Too out of your room for several full days to air it out in that regard.

Last edited:

RoccoB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rocco Bateman
I can't stress enough that you need to get an air purifier and remove your Too from your room if at all possible or at least at night while your sleeping.
I just had to rehome my Linnie because I've had multiple birds in my room with me the last 17 years and even though I went above and beyond to keep my room clean and ran an air purifier for years it still didn't make a difference and eventually a developed an allergy to bird dust and non of the species I kept were even close to being as dusty as a cockatoo. Their dust can severely impact your lungs and cause Bird Keepers/Fanciers Lung.

Also the fact you've had black mold in his cage and on the walls is also concerning. I'd really urge you at the very least to take your Too out of your room and do an deep and thorough cleaning of everything especially the walls were you know you've had mold. That is terrible for you to be breathing in even if you think you've wiped it away the spores can be left behind. There's pages online that can tell you how best to clean the area for the best change of removing the mold fully but most likely you'll need to keep your Too out of your room for several full days to air it out in that regard.
Im not sure if i can remove him from my room and it also has bad insulation so ive not really had windows open i dont know whether im close to bfl as ive started getting joint pains which i am going yo phsyio for a diagnosis this friday there is my mums office thats got a chance for him to sleep in there but these thing make me unnecessarily anxious as i do suffer from anxiety and autism but I am a minor so i dont yet have money for a good air purifier i have dusted today and removed his cage liner but getting him to bath which may be the best bet at the moment is impossible because i cant get him in any water i highly doubt i have any lung issues as ive only had him since october 2021 and ive only had a kakariki before that im going to talk to my mum tomorrow about potentially moving him at the beginning of next week when im home and can monitor him but the main issue with him being in her office is he knows the sound of a phone call and tries to speak to whoevers on the phone which isnt great for business calls if theres any other tips it would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's understandable if you can't an air purifier right now even just dusting regularly will make a huge difference. Hopefully he can be moved to another area but if not just do all the precautions that you can and that will go a long way. You'll probably want to edit your post so folks don't know your real age since you are a minor it's not safe to reveal that

RoccoB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rocco Bateman
How do you even edit a reply on here?

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If it's past 10 mins you can't. I'll tag some admins to help. But there is normally an edit button at the bottom of the post on the left hand corner a little triangle you click to drop own the options.
@Mizzely @Zara @Staff

RoccoB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rocco Bateman
If it's past 10 mins you can't. I'll tag some admins to help. But there is normally an edit button at the bottom of the post on the left hand corner a little triangle you click to drop own the options.
@Mizzely @Zara @Staff
Ah ok im not too bothered. Im just wondering if its a good idea to not use my fan while i sleep tonight as much as i want to if it would be an issue i wont as it wont affect me too much

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@Mizzely @Zara @Staff
You are correct. It was started as members would edit posts after they were approved in the rehome section where all posts must first be approved, but then went everywhere as some members were rightfully frustrated that they had liked a post that was now very different than the one that they liked. It is just to be fair to everyone.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You are correct. It was started as members would edit posts after they were approved in the rehome section where all posts must first be approved, but then went everywhere as some members were rightfully frustrated that they had liked a post that was now very different than the one that they liked. It is just to be fair to everyone.
Oh wow that's really unfortunate that folks felt the need to do that. Absolutely makes sense to keep it equal for all.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Mizzely @Zara @Staff
Thanks for this but I actually found the posted comment that needed editing before seeing this lol.
If you see something like that again it is best to report the actual post rather than tagging us as we would then have to search for the right post anyway.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for this but I actually found the posted comment that needed editing before seeing this lol.
If you see something like that again it is best to report the actual post rather than tagging us as we would then have to search for the right post anyway.
Oh gosh I always forget that's an option. In my head it's only for inappropriate posts vs something like this. Thanks for the reminder I appreciate it.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh gosh I always forget that's an option. In my head it's only for inappropriate posts vs something like this. Thanks for the reminder I appreciate it.
All good, I only mentioned it as I noticed expressmailtome missed the real reason we were actually originally tagged lol - it is easy to miss the issue when we are tagged, not so easy when it is a report :)

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
All good, I only mentioned it as I noticed expressmailtome missed the real reason we were actually originally tagged lol - it is easy to miss the issue when we are tagged, not so easy when it is a report :)
That makes total sense. I didn't want to quote the original post so then it would defeat the purpose and have it posted twice so looking back I can see how I made it more confusing I just can't get it right it seems lol. But at least next time I shall.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
That makes total sense. I didn't want to quote the original post so then it would defeat the purpose and have it posted twice so looking back I can see how I made it more confusing I just can't get it right it seems lol. But at least next time I shall.
Oh noooo. You always get things perfect! You’re one of my most favourite members cos you’re so sweet, helpful, compassionate!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh noooo. You always get things perfect! You’re one of my most favourite members cos you’re so sweet, helpful, compassionate!
Aw gosh you're gonna make me blush. That's so very kind of you to say,I really appreciate it :)

RoccoB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rocco Bateman
Aw gosh you're gonna make me blush. That's so very kind of you to say,I really appreciate it :)
My cockatoo just sneezed again and a clear liquid came out of his mouth any idea what it could be?