• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Sneezing and puking conure

Chapulín

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Daniella Nicholas
Hi there, I woke up in the middle of the night to my green cheeked conure sneezing (or what sounded like sneezing repeatedly, quick, dry sneezes), I looked at him and he stopped. A couple hours later he did it again and I looked closer with the lights on and he had multiple balls of puke in front of him in his little sleep tent. I opened his cage and he puked on me. It looked like the two roasted almonds I let him eat yesterday crushed up in a beige slime. He’s quite cuddly right now and preening and just sneezing occasionally. But I’m freaked out. I also let him eat a couple spicy plantain chips yesterday. And a tiny bit of peanut butter because I was cooking with it. Maybe I let him eat too much fat? Maybe he’s sick?

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Daniella, head to the vet as soon as you can to get your bird looked at. In the meantime get him settled in his carrier cage and keep him nice and warm.

Chapulín

Real Name
Daniella Nicholas
Thank you, I can try to bring him today. I had an event at work yesterday that I couldnt miss and he was acting totally normal after the episode so I just brought him with me and kept him warm and put him to bed early. I’m wondering if it was his first regurgitation since they were basically little balls of food and not messy puke, but with the sneezing I still want to check him out.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You said he was sick on you, can you give more detail about that?

Chapulín

Real Name
Daniella Nicholas
So I’m the middle of the night I heard him (what sounded like) sneezing very fast repeatedly for long enough to wake me up. A few hours later he did it again and at that point I turned on the light to find little chunks/balls of regurgitated food (or puke) right in front of him in his sleeping tent. I opened the cage and he stepped up onto my shoulder and sneezed a few more times, and then shot his neck out and regurgitated/puked some more. Some of it looked like chunks of almonds that he hadn’t chewed very well and the rest was the same color but mush. He’s done the regurgitation neck movements before but he’s never actually regurgitated and I felt really concerned because it was at a time he’s normally sound asleep (he likes to sleep in to 7:30/8), and because of the combination with the sneezes and because I had never seen what could be regurgitation before. He had eaten the 2 almonds in the late/mid afternoon, long before bed. And are other stuff after, like his green pellets and meal worms and some plantain chip, but I definitely saw what looked like almond pieces in it. They were roasted and salted almonds that I had rinsed the extra salt off of.

the rest of the day he was acting totally normal, maybe a couple more tiny sneezes than usual but Maybe not.