• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Snails

AmberC

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amber
70461371-FADC-4CE9-A477-C510B46F59B7.jpeg 49BFF390-FC25-42F1-8D81-9FCE42C49C1E.jpeg

We got 4 new snails! We found them at the park, the first pic is the homemade enclosure I made for Romeo, Juliet, & Indy (All adults are kept together) and the second pic is of Humphrey's enclosure that is a proper snail enclosure that we got from the pet store. (because he is a baby he has to be kept separate) Also all enclosures have breathing holes and I have done research on how to setup the enclosure and care for them.
09487FBB-933D-43D4-AD59-7ECAAE6B37ED.jpeg
Family Portrait!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I love snails. Never had them as pets but would love some!
I don´t know about taking them from the park though, it´s ahrd to know where they would live better.
How big is that black tank? And how big of an enclosure do those little snails need?

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Those do look like very small tubs for snails that size. I also agree that taking them from the park is not the best idea, especially when they have an entire park vs what looks like nothing more than a takeaway food tub.

If you are serious about keeping snails, get a proper, large tank (at least 10 gallons) and get yourself some Giant African Land Snails. Then return these ones to the wild.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
These snails are cute. What species are they? I don't know anything about keeping snails, but some snails carry zoonotic diseases, so you'll want to look up if this species does. You can get cheap tanks used online.

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Hi!! If you really want to keep these please get a 5g (or 10g) tank with a LID,a 5g is perfect since it is generally reccommended to have 1g per snail!! Get coconut coir (Eco Earth) for substrate and shouldbe about 3-5 inches deep. Do not get any ceramic food dishes or anything as they can fall from the top onto it and break their shells. For decor you can get such things as sphagnum moss, cork bark, leaf litter, branches and sticks, make sure if you do these that they are non toxic and no fertilizer or pesticides have been used on them. Get one or two PLASTIC plant pots for them to hide in. Mist the tank daily with a spray bottle to keep up humidity. I see you gave them spinach, i dont reccommend that as I have heard horror stories of people feeding it to their snails and them basically having an allergic reaction to it, but feed it at your own risk.
Some safe things to feed snails
  • carrot
  • apple
  • banana
  • romaine lettuce
  • strawberry
  • cantaloupe
  • cucumber
  • grapes
  • watermelon
  • kale (small amounts, as it contains a lot of calcium, which can build up in a snail’s system and potentially kill them in very severe cases)
  • peach
  • spirulina
  • sweet or normal potato
  • mango
  • peas
  • blueberries (smashed or cut in half)
  • pear
  • cabbage
  • soaked algae flakes

Last edited:

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Hi!! If you really want to keep these please get a 5g (or 10g) tank with a LID,a 5g is perfect since it is generally reccommended to have 1g per snail!! Get coconut coir (Eco Earth) for substrate and shouldbe about 3-5 inches deep. Do not get any ceramic food dishes or anything as they can fall from the top onto it and break their shells. For decor you can get such things as sphagnum moss, cork bark, leaf litter, branches and sticks, make sure if you do these that they are non toxic and no fertilizer or pesticides have been used on them. Get one or two PLASTIC plant pots for them to hide in. Mist the tank daily with a spray bottle to keep up humidity. I see you gave them spinach, i dont reccommend that as I have heard horror stories of people feeding it to their snails and them basically having an allergic reaction to it, but feed it at your own risk.
Some safe things to feed snails
  • carrot
  • apple
  • banana
  • romaine lettuce
  • strawberry
  • cantaloupe
  • cucumber
  • grapes
  • watermelon
  • kale (small amounts, as it contains a lot of calcium, which can build up in a snail’s system and potentially kill them in very severe cases)
  • peach
  • spirulina
  • sweet or normal potato
  • mango
  • peas
  • blueberries (smashed or cut in half)
  • pear
  • cabbage
  • soaked algae flakes
That is a very good guide, much better than my 'get a bigger tank' lol

I find snails like to hide, so plenty of crevices is also a must.