• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Smuggled parrots

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know if anyone has posted this story yet. They've found smuggled parrots. 64 alive; 10 dead. There are disturbing photos. :(

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
This is something that unfortunately happens way too often. It is really heartbreaking to see them in those bottles, so may of them do not survive even if they ae alive when found :(

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Nonono! Those precious baby’s deserve better. Hopefully they go to good homes.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Evil MFers. The punishment for this hatefulness should be much more severe. I know how I’D sentence them.
:dalek:

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
i did a social studies project on parrots for school last year, and one of my sections was about illegal parrot smuggling. it is absolutely disgusting what some people do to these beautiful birds. some birds get drugged, their eyes get poked so they don’t react to light, their beaks taped shut and shoved in water bottles, toothpaste tubes, even medicine bottles if they are small enough. i almost started crying in class while i was doing my research, seeing those poor birds. absolutely disgusting.

Tangoares

Walking the driveway
I couldn't even read the whole thing when I came across it the other night.. soo sickening.. I can't understand the thoughts in anyone who causes any harm/ torture to any animal. Makes me sick. Makes me tear up :banghead: oh the karma I hope these disgusting humans get

Aves

Why are people so cruel?????!!!!! :mad::(:sad8::sad5::extremeanger::tmsmakesme:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Glad they found them and those 64 have a chance of life back in the wild. Going off the photo, it looks like it´s open where those bars are so the birds are free to fly off when ready.
I´ve mentioned it before, but the things I see on the border patrol programme blow the mind. boxes of birds, birds stuffed into bottles and tubes, and all crammed in suitcases, it´s just awful. Sometimes you see them handcuffing and taking the people straight to prison, which is some reasurance. Though I remember one young guy had a bag, and it was all kitted out with thermometer connected to an alert system to let him know the temp in the bag, and it had about 10 healthy looking chicks inside, just a few weeks old, couldn´t work out what species, but much larger than a conure for sure. They questioned the guy on why he was importing the birds, and why he failed to declare them. For some reason they were not happy with his answer and kept him there waiting. When questioned a second time, he confessed he imported the birds to eat as an afrodisiac. Honestly, I would have never thought that was a thing.

BirdWorld

This is horrible. I hate it. How could they? :sad11::angry101:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
We have seen stories similar to this several times on this forum. Although the US has very little smuggling in (basically due to our robust breeding industry) there are other countries who just give the smuggling a wink and a nod. Most of these countries are signatories to the CTIES agreement.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't understand how they even fit them in the bottles or how they could go through with it. Those birds would've protested & been ignored. People need to stop buying illegal birds/ species.

Poor people with no economic justice or hope will otherwise continue, though I'm sure some of the middle men aren't in that situation. Not making excuses, but I blame the rich buyers most.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
I don't understand how they even fit them in the bottles or how they could go through with it. Those birds would've protested & been ignored. People need to stop buying illegal birds/ species.

Poor people with no economic justice or hope will otherwise continue, though I'm sure some of the middle men aren't in that situation. Not making excuses, but I blame the rich buyers most.
Most cases they give them alcohol like whiskey or rum O.O to keep them quiet I don’t understand it either. :(