• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Smoking in car

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yet another thread where a young person is treated so disrespectfully by an adult. Leaving bird doors open, not taking sick birds to the vet, smoking in a car with a bird. I can't imagine. I'm so sorry.

layinlow

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kazmon
Yet another thread where a young person is treated so disrespectfully by an adult. Leaving bird doors open, not taking sick birds to the vet, smoking in a car with a bird. I can't imagine. I'm so sorry.
Yes, it is pretty horrible for Mika. I don’t get an allowance, so it is difficult to get money to buy him necessities, but my mom won’t bring him to the vet for even a check up or a nail clip!

She has some dogs and cats, and I always keep Mika in my room, though when I am at school she likes and tries to ‘introduce’ the animals by putting them in front of the cage. It utterly terrifies Mika half to death!

I feel horrible, and I’m working to make money to get him a checkup and his nails clipped, but luckily he’s not in an abusive home. I always am giving him attention, and I make sure that he is spoiled. I actually made the money for vet checks before even buying him, though my mom asked to borrow my money and hasn’t given any of it back.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
though my mom asked to borrow my money and hasn’t given any of it back.
DO NOT loan your mother any more money. Say you lost it. Hide it deeply.

I essentially had the same parents as you, except mine called me dummy and things.... and I didn't have to make a face to be accused of/punished for making a face. Or a tone of voice. I am so sorry. I won't tell you what happened to some of my pets. :sadhug2:

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Yes, it is pretty horrible for Mika. I don’t get an allowance, so it is difficult to get money to buy him necessities, but my mom won’t bring him to the vet for even a check up or a nail clip!

She has some dogs and cats, and I always keep Mika in my room, though when I am at school she likes and tries to ‘introduce’ the animals by putting them in front of the cage. It utterly terrifies Mika half to death!

I feel horrible, and I’m working to make money to get him a checkup and his nails clipped, but luckily he’s not in an abusive home. I always am giving him attention, and I make sure that he is spoiled. I actually made the money for vet checks before even buying him, though my mom asked to borrow my money and hasn’t given any of it back.
DO NOT loan your mother any more money. Say you lost it. Hide it deeply.

I essentially had the same parents as you, except mine called me dummy and things.... and I didn't have to make a face to be accused of/punished for making a face. Or a tone of voice. I am so sorry. I won't tell you what happened to some of my pets. :sadhug2:
I was in a similar boat. Very familiar, the whole "oh let me borrow money but never pack it back" thing. And lots more. Big big hugs.:sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:

ThisLittleBird

Meeting neighbors
I wouldn't take your cockatiel at all on this road trip (most likely will developed severe respiratory issues or possibly die).. I would either stay home or board it with a trusting friend or find a place that boards avian's.. just my opinion...

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Mm, I actually didn’t catch my dad smoking the whole trip. It was just my mom.

It shows how bad it was when after an hour of not smoking, my mother went to grab another one. I told her not to light another one because I was feeling sick, and she practically threw a tantrum on how it had ALREADY been an hour since she had her last cig.

If she grabbed at least one cig all carride, she smoked at least 8, and I had actually caught her smoking two cigarettes each hour. So probably around 8-12 cigarrets ? Hopefully my prediction is wrong and she didn’t smoke so many..
@ThisLittleBird I believe they've already made the trip...

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Ugh, I feel your pain. The doctors told my aunts not to smoke around me while my wrist was healing, but... :/

Hang in there, you and your buddy will be out of that car soon enough.

layinlow

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kazmon
I wouldn't take your cockatiel at all on this road trip (most likely will developed severe respiratory issues or possibly die).. I would either stay home or board it with a trusting friend or find a place that boards avian's.. just my opinion...

Yup, I had asked to stay home but I was forced to come. No one I know can pet sit him and the avian boarding costs a whole lot! I’d feel bad for leaving him alone for a whole month, anyways

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yup, I had asked to stay home but I was forced to come. No one I know can pet sit him and the avian boarding costs a whole lot! I’d feel bad for leaving him alone for a whole month, anyways
I don't blame you. I hate leaving mine even for a day!

Have we seen pictures of this darling?

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I'm so sorry you're having to deal with disrespectful parents. Sometimes I feel like older generations lack a sense of urgency and empathy when it comes to keeping companion animals. I certainly had a time with my parents taking the "wait and see" approach to veterinary care.

If this happens in the future, perhaps reach out to us about having someone here look after your bird temporarily? I know if it was within my ability to pick up your bird, I'd happily have taken care of him during your trip.

layinlow

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kazmon
I'm so sorry you're having to deal with disrespectful parents. Sometimes I feel like older generations lack a sense of urgency and empathy when it comes to keeping companion animals. I certainly had a time with my parents taking the "wait and see" approach to veterinary care.

If this happens in the future, perhaps reach out to us about having someone here look after your bird temporarily? I know if it was within my ability to pick up your bird, I'd happily have taken care of him during your trip.

Thank you so much! It really means a lot. I bet that there is bound to be other people from this site living in Nevada that could’ve taken good care of him. I don’t trust him all too well with people who haven’t been around a bird hardly at all, since there is so much that my friends don’t know about them! I’m very protective of my baby haha.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Mm, I actually didn’t catch my dad smoking the whole trip. It was just my mom.

It shows how bad it was when after an hour of not smoking, my mother went to grab another one. I told her not to light another one because I was feeling sick, and she practically threw a tantrum on how it had ALREADY been an hour since she had her last cig.

If she grabbed at least one cig all carride, she smoked at least 8, and I had actually caught her smoking two cigarettes each hour. So probably around 8-12 cigarrets ? Hopefully my prediction is wrong and she didn’t smoke so many..

Tell them to turn the heater on full blast (blowing cold air) or air conditioning and have her open her window 4 inches. That will create an air flow out that window drawing fresh air from the heater

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I'm a smoker, too, and I'm still shaking my head at smoking in the car with the windows shut. Obviously, you're going to have to do the best you can, as you're between a rock and a hard place. For the future, I suggest you nail down arrangements for boarding or something similar. You probably can't change your parents' behavior/choices, but you are responsible for your bird. Work at a vet clinic or pet store that boards birds, save your money (and hide it, sadly), etc.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
That’s so nice! Mine hate the camera.