• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Smoking in car

layinlow

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kazmon
hello! I have a cockatiel about 9 months old named Mikaela. I’ve been worried because I’m on an 8 hour trip to another state, and we have decided to bring him with us. We are visiting the country so there will be a lot of clean air for him, though right now a big concern has come up for me.. I can’t drive myself, so I am with my parents. And they are smoking. Quite frequently. Usually they smoke cigarrets outside, though now we’re in the car, so Mika is exposed to it for the 8hours. It worries me, and I wonder if he’ll be okay? He doesn’t seem sick, but I’m scared of any after effects of smoking:,(

BirdLover29

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah
Is there anyway you can ask your parents to not smoke in the car with Mikaela?

layinlow

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kazmon
Is there anyway you can ask your parents to not smoke in the car with Mikaela?
Yes, I have asked but they have said that they’d rather not take any unnecessary stops, such as not stopping just to smoke. I’ve asked for them to at least not smoke as much, but it doesn’t seem like it’s worked. There’s at least a month period where he won’t be in contact with smoke.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Smoke is awful for a bird's lungs. Their respiratory systems are much more fragile than ours are. If there is any way at all to prevent smoking near the bird, please do so.

BirdLover29

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah
Ask them to keep the window next to them slightly open just enough for the smoke to escape, it should help with how much smoke is reaching Mikaela. If you can somehow convince your parents to not smoke the duration of the trip it would also help tons.

layinlow

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kazmon
Smoke is awful for a bird's lungs. Their respiratory systems are much more fragile than ours are. If there is any way at all to prevent smoking near the bird, please do so.
Of course! I hate being in this car and making Mika endure this.. It’s even making me feel very sick, too, so I’d rather have him not around it if it’s making even me sick ( I’ve been around it all my life, and haven’t felt this sick before, so it means a lot ). It’s stressing me out and I’m probably going to tell them not to do it when they try to light another one.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
if you have a towel or blanket, and you can open the back windows, maybe you could put a blanket on the sides closer to where your parents are smoking and crack open the back window to let in some fresh air? So the towel or blanket could block out some of it.

layinlow

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kazmon
Ask them to keep the window next to them slightly open just enough for the smoke to escape, it should help with how much smoke is reaching Mikaela. If you can somehow convince your parents to not smoke the duration of the trip it would also help tons.
Luckily they do open the window!: ) I asked before the trip if they’d crack it twice the amount wider than normal just in case, and luckily they have stuck to it.

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
Yes, I know. That’s why I’m worried.
I would nicely ask them not to smoke in the car not only for the birds sake but you and them as well. It can seriously cause respiratory problems for birds. Personally I would not have put my birds in that situation in the first place.

layinlow

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kazmon
if you have a towel or blanket, and you can open the back windows, maybe you could put a blanket on the sides closer to where your parents are smoking and crack open the back window to let in some fresh air? So the towel or blanket could block out some of it.
I’ve had a blanket on top of and on two sides of the cage to keep out smoke, and it’s been like that the whole trip. Only one window can be open since if there’s two open, the ash flies around inside the car. I’m sitting in the back with Mika, while my parents sit in the front seat.

layinlow

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kazmon
I’ve had a blanket on top of and on two sides of the cage to keep out smoke, and it’s been like that the whole trip. Only one window can be open since if there’s two open, the ash flies around inside the car. I’m sitting in the back with Mika, while my parents sit in the front seat.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Hopefully that will help some. You just have to do the best with the situation you're in sometimes. :)

layinlow

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kazmon
I would nicely ask them not to smoke in the car not only for the birds sake but you and them as well. It can seriously cause respiratory problems for birds. Personally I would not have put my birds in that situation in the first place.
Yes, I had asked to not bring him along in the first place. He only likes me and no one else, so I didn’t want him home alone for a whole month stuck in his cage because the rest of my family were too scared to take him out for at least thirty minutes each day.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Wow, what kind of inconsiderate person smokes inside a car with non smokers and animals?
First hand and second hand smoke is very unhealthy for any living thing it comes into contact with so your parents are happily killing themselves, you and your bird!

I am sorry but I have no tolerance for this and I AM a smoker. My ADULT children use my car every now and then so I would never smoke in it!

A few five minute stops for them to get out of the car and have their filthy fags will not add that much time to their drive, they just sound very ignorant and selfish to me.

In Australia it is illegal to smoke in a car with minors in it regardless of weather the windows are open or not, I love seeing those horrible parents who ignore this law get pulled over and charged.......fancy being ok with harming your own children because you are too lazy, ignorant or selfish to do the fair and right thing by them!

I hope you can work something out with them about this as it is not fair to you or the bird :)

layinlow

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kazmon
Wow, what kind of inconsiderate person smokes inside a car with non smokers and animals?
First hand and second hand smoke is very unhealthy for any living thing it comes into contact with so your parents are happily killing themselves, you and your bird!

I am sorry but I have no tolerance for this and I AM a smoker. My ADULT children use my car every now and then so I would never smoke in it!

A few five minute stops for them to get out of the car and have their filthy fags will not add that much time to their drive, they just sound very ignorant and selfish to me.

In Australia it is illegal to smoke in a car with minors in it regardless of weather the windows are open or not, I love seeing those horrible parents who ignore this law get pulled over and charged.......fancy being ok with harming your own children because you are too lazy, ignorant or selfish to do the fair and right thing by them!

I hope you can work something out with them about this as it is not fair to you or the bird :)

Yes exactly! It’s horrible, because I’ve lived with it for fourteen years of my life! Plus womb time, because she smoked with me way before I was even born. I have really weak lungs due to it now, and I really don’t want poor Mika to go through the trouble since their respiratory system is so weak:( I hope it’s not as bad on the way back.

It wasn’t the best because I ended up getting in trouble asking for them to at least pull over to smoke outside of the car, and I could tell that I was making them angry because I was speaking up about it for once.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh dear, you poor thing. Might be best not to aggravate them any more than they are already. Maybe your best way of coping with this at the moment is to cover your bird as best as you can in the hopes of filtering out some of the nicotine and other nasty stuff in the smoke. Keep a window as open as you can to exchange dirty air for clean fresh air.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You poor thing. :sadhug2: How dreadfully upsetting. I think @taxidermynerd has a good idea, blocking the smoke. Still, I would worry myself sick, as you are.

Do your parents know that birds’ lungs are way different from ours and they can’t tolerate much poison at all? Even perfume or a candle can be deadly for them.

I understand about them getting angry. My parents got angry even when I was silent sometimes. I always had a stomach ache.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Whoops missed this one.... wow. You’ve done your best, that is all anyone can ask for.