• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Smelly Poo, Negative Fecal

Randi K

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Randi Kreckman
hey guys! I could use some advice. I have a 9 year old Queen of Bavaria (Golden) Conure named Hunter ... He is my baby so I'm a serious worry wart. In the last two weeks, my husband and I went to Mexico for our anniversary. During the time (8th-15th), we boarded our boys at a local spot we've used a few times in the past. It does require yearly health screenings. On the 16th I noticed Hunter's poops were very sour and smelly, much like baby poop. He is acting normal, eating and drinking, maintaining weight. I made an appointment with our vet and he was seen on Monday but his fecal came back normal. I was told to call in yesterday to report how he was and I told them he was still smelly despite the negative fecal. Haven't heard from the vet... And it's starting to worry me. I plan to call again tomorrow, but has anyone had a similar issue? Did you find it via blood tests rather than fecal? I always worry if they're running the right tests. He was fed an abundance of pistachios while boarding (I mean 7-10 a day ... Need to tell them not to do that next time), so the vet said perhaps that's why and he needs a week or so to get back to normal, but it's been a week ... I'm scared, frustrated and don't want to waste time, just want him healthy. Advice?

Percy&Ivan

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Do you have pictures?

Randi K

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Randi Kreckman
Of the poop? No, I cleaned the cage. I'm trying to make sure I can tell if there's any change, but in the morning I could. If that's not what you mean, my apologies.

echobird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
I'm in a similar situation and I know exactly how you feel:sadhug2:

Echo, my GCC, has bubbly, watery droppings that are accompanied by the occasional foul odor. I have taken her to the vet for the 3rd time this year. We got a direct fecal smear and a culture and sensitivity done. Everything came back normal but she was put on Cipro and her droppings went back to normal somewhat. As per usual they got bad again.

I got back from the vet and we did a gram stain, another direct fecal smear, an aerobic culture, and an anaerobic culture. The fecal smear and gram stain were done in house and the results came back normal but I'm still awaiting results for the cultures.

In the mean time the doc put her back on Cipro since she responded to it the first time.

If the cultures come back normal then I'm going to order a test kit from avian biotech and have her tested for Clostridium directly as that's what the vet and I talked about. The smelly poo is what led us in that direction.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I had smelly poo with Abigail once and it was Clostridium. Ash, have your vet call Dr. O's office about the lab she uses...I think it's T&M??? I don't recommend avian biotech.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
A clostridium infection is the most likely culprit, but it could be other things as well. Giardia can produce smelly poops and sometimes there are no other symptoms.

This is as pretty good article about bird poop problems. You might read it and match symptoms to what you are seeing in your bird. Poopology - Identify Bird Health Problems through their Droppings

echobird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
I had smelly poo with Abigail once and it was Clostridium. Ash, have your vet call Dr. O's office about the lab she uses...I think it's T&M??? I don't recommend avian biotech.
Thank you for the suggestion. Does the lab happen to be A&M?
What is Dr. O's clinic called? I'll be sure to give my vet the number.

I might go through with a second opinion at Dr. Speer's clinic if the tests come back normal.

Last edited:

carolz7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
carol
I have had the same with my green wing for years. It comes and goes and its only the first poop in the morning. I mean it is so bad you cannot get the smell out of your nose. I try and clean it right away so the smell does not linger in the house. My tests came back fine on the poo.

Randi K

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Randi Kreckman
So strange to see how common this is. I mean, my vet doesn't seem worried. I called again today and no one has called back. I guess it's not a priority? I suppose I'll have to call them again on Monday. Kind of annoyed.

echobird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
I would definitely get him tested for clostridium and giardia just in case. It is very frustrating that the tests are coming back normal but the droppings are clearly abnormal.
after Echos first Cipro dose the stool is definitely more firm and there are less bubbles but the urine is still very excessive. maybe it is an aerobic bacteria? Hoping the tests can pin point what's causing these droppings.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
One of mine has it now too. Was extremely strong and disgusting smelling as well as splattery in the morning but then usually normal through the day. Took a sample in and it's clostridium. Vet said to try apple cider vinegar in the water for 3 weeks but to call back in a couple of days if it wasn't improving. It seemed to be getting better but then rank again this morning so he's now on antibiotics.

Randi K

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Randi Kreckman
I hope this antibiotics help, @DQTimnehs

My vet finally answered and asked me to bring him in for blood work and an X-Ray. I'm ok with blood work but a bit hesitant on the X-Ray due to the stress it can cause. I'm not sure whether to just try blood work first and if they still can't find anything then allow the X-Ray or just get it out of the way... I hate this. I just want him well.

echobird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
I would get both done at one visit to get it out of the way. But only because I know my birds won't get too stressed. If your bird gets really stressed at the vet than you can have the x Ray done later.

Why did your vet recommend an x Ray by the way?

Randi K

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Randi Kreckman
He didn't say why he recommended these things, it was a tech who called for him and scheduled the appointment :nervous: I imagine I'll find out more when I see him on Tuesday. My vet also works with the birds at local Zoos, I think Santa Ana and San Diego if I'm not mistaken, so he's in pretty high demand and I don't always get to speak with him outside actual appointments.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Yes, Darwin's poop has improved to pretty much normal since being on the antibiotics, thanks! :)

I would definitely ask what they are looking for on the x-ray. Not sure I would do it for stinky poop seeing as it's about $500 for an x-ray. Have you tried giving apple cider vinegar in the water for a week or 2? My vet recommended 1:100 volume acv:water. It usually works for yeast. Didn't seem to be working this time.

echobird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
The results for the cultures are back and they both are normal.
Echo is responding to the antibiotic very well so vet said to keep her on it until poos are completely normal.

BirdieGirlCA

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erika
I have a similar issue right now with my female Hawkheaded Parrot. I was told it's a PH balance issue and to put apple cider vinegar in her water for a few months and that should clear it up. I started a week ago, so fingers crossed it works.

BirdieGirlCA

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erika
He didn't say why he recommended these things, it was a tech who called for him and scheduled the appointment :nervous: I imagine I'll find out more when I see him on Tuesday. My vet also works with the birds at local Zoos, I think Santa Ana and San Diego if I'm not mistaken, so he's in pretty high demand and I don't always get to speak with him outside actual appointments.
I am not far from the area. I am curious to know the name of your vet? It's tough finding good Avian vets.