• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Smelly House

Blanae

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandy
Ok so how does everyone keep their house smelling good with birds. Since obviously candles, scentsy, and air freshners are out. I need some help!?!?! I have eldery pets and I swear they all stink!!!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Many people boil cinnamon and orange peels to scent their house. For me when my house starts to smell, I clean, and the smells go away.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Eliminating the source of the smell is the biggest thing. Then I open windows (check to make sure screens are in place and in tact), spray curtains with 50/50 white vinegar and water, and as it evaporates it freshens up

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’d clean house, literally, & offer the birds a spray bottle shower. I air daily.

Blanae

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandy
My house is clean. But the problem is my actual dogs stink. They are both on meds and I swear the meds make them smell. They are old and I can't give baths more than every few weeks as they both have such bad allergies. I clean cages daily and mop with vinegar water. I just have had such a sensitive sniffer since covid I feel like I smell everything.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yeah so I would do the vinegar/water on anything they sleep on (carpet, blankets, beds, etc) as that will help deodorize it :)

Blanae

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandy
Yeah so I would do the vinegar/water on anything they sleep on (carpet, blankets, beds, etc) as that will help deodorize it :)
I will try it. I wash their bedding daily. I mop with vinegar but I never thought to put it in a spray bottle. So that just may do the trick :) thanks!

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
My best friend had a very stinky old dog even right after a bath. She discovered when she had it clipped all over it smelled much better. Evidently it’s hair was holding on to the odor even after bathing

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I will try it. I wash their bedding daily. I mop with vinegar but I never thought to put it in a spray bottle. So that just may do the trick :) thanks!
You can also make orange peel vinegar that may help too! You just basically soak orange peels in white vinegar in a closed jar and put it in the cupboard for a few weeks. But spot test as citrus oils may not be a good mix for all linens :)

Blanae

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandy
You can also make orange peel vinegar that may help too! You just basically soak orange peels in white vinegar in a closed jar and put it in the cupboard for a few weeks. But spot test as citrus oils may not be a good mix for all linens :)
LOVE THIS IDEA!!!!

Blanae

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandy
My best friend had a very stinky old dog even right after a bath. She discovered when she had it clipped all over it smelled much better. Evidently it’s hair was holding on to the odor even after bathing
I wish that was an option. They are both Chihuahua (short haired) One is almost 13 with cushings disease and the other is a rescue and about the same age with congestive heart failure.