• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Smell from wood burner?

Budgiie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Spencer
Hi,

I know this has been asked many times before but I would like a more recent opinion.

I'm in a flatting situation and can't control when the wood burner gets turned on/off. I smelled something today and went into panic mode. I have neighbors who smoke and burn incense so when I smell something I jump up and close all the windows as fast as possible. ...but then I realized, the smell is coming from INSIDE the house. It's our wood burner, previously unused for the time I've been here. The whole house smells like a campfire. My birds are by an open window with an air purifier running 24/7. The wood burner is also waaaay on the other side of the house with 2 hallways between it and the birds. The smell is hardly present in their room compared to the living room but still there. Will the smell harm them at all? As we move into winter I expect the wood burner to be running much more often. What are the risks to their respiratory system and what precautions can I take?

Thank you

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
:bump7:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If your flue is clean and the fire is lit and used properly the risks are lessened than for a fire set and maintained by someone who is uneducated in fireplace use and safety.
I am unsure how you smell the smoke inside unless the people lighting the fireplace fire are not good at it, the flue is not drawing smoke properly or an outside window is letting smoke in.

How do you think the smell is in the house?

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
If your flue is clean and the fire is lit and used properly the risks are lessened than for a fire set and maintained by someone who is uneducated in fireplace use and safety.
I am unsure how you smell the smoke inside unless the people lighting the fireplace fire are not good at it, the flue is not drawing smoke properly or an outside window is letting smoke in.

How do you think the smell is in the house?
Maybe it is just the normal wood burning smell and not a smoke smell the poster is talking about. My neighbors have a wood burner in their home. When they have it going I can smell it in our house and our homes are a good distance apart. It's that camp fire smell.