• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Smarty pants crows

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
I watched a documentary on crows using a lid to slide down a roof of a house when it snowed. They would slide down grab the lid and fly back up to do it again. They are fascinating.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
@Dona would that be one where they drop them on the street, let the cars run over them and than wait for the light to turn red so it's safe for them to walk on the street and get them? I saw that one, unreal. I read/watch anything I can on crows and ravens!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Dona would that be one where they drop them on the street, let the cars run over them and than wait for the light to turn red so it's safe for them to walk on the street and get them? I saw that one, unreal. I read/watch anything I can on crows and ravens!
Oh my gosh, that's hilarious! I don't know if it's the same. My son just told me that everyone in his area of Osaka knows of these crows.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Another one I read about was some people had snowmobiles out in a somewhat remote area and left the keys in them while they took a walk. The crows took the keys and anything else that was shiny from the snowmobile. I'm sure the people didn't think that was too funny! Always remove keys:)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
yes @Greylady1966 I saw that documentary! Amazing!

My son just told me about a well known road in Osaka, Japan. The crows carry their nuts to the road and retrieve them after they are run over by cars and they can get more easily to the meat.
I watched vultures ( were they vultures?) carrying bones up to great heights and dropping them so they would break and then they could eat the marrow. It was on Planet Earth... not sure which station it was.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
I believe they were vultures. I couldn't imagine how I would react if I were walking and a bone fell from the sky and hit me!

Barbara2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
Crows are very smart and absolutely love all things shiny. I had a pet crow as a child and you could give him something shiny and he would fly away and bury it.... you could never find it. He lived free and would just stay close to home. He loved fried chicken legs, his favorite thing!! Great birds

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
We have crows here behind the apt building and houses with walnut trees. We sit on the balcony and watch them drop them and pick them up repeatedly until they crack open or a car drives over them. Really smart babies!!

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
I'm so amazed by them. I watched a show on how they go up to animals and pull their tails for the fun of it! It doesn't matter to them how big the animal is to them it's fun:)

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
There was a black cat in the house right behind us that use to go up on the roof of the car park behind that house and he would sit there and watch the crows in the nest..my husband was home one day sitting on the deck listening to the crows squawking and spotted the cat again, kitty gave up and started walking away, when the one crow came out of no where at the cat, grabbed him by the butt and flipped him right over as he flew off. His buddies cheering him on. Hubby said it was hilarious, and we did notice the cat never bothered them after that and always kept a wary eye on where the crows were. :laughing7:

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
I imagine the cat learned his lesson! That is so funny. They are often pictured as dark and gloomy or scary but I think they are hilarious and beautiful!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
yes @Greylady1966 I saw that documentary! Amazing!

My son just told me about a well known road in Osaka, Japan. The crows carry their nuts to the road and retrieve them after they are run over by cars and they can get more easily to the meat.
I've seen them do that. They drop walnuts on the street & wait til a car opens them. Walnuts in there outer shell are hard to open. They are VERY smart...I had a wild one adopt me once & would follow me down the block & come to my window for treats,,,