• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Small update and Question

Stevetomobs

Strolling the yard
I’m back again and just wanted to give a quick update on everything.

First off as a said one of my last posts I was looking to rehome some of my budgies as I felt both them and me would be better off. They were sent off to a local rescue for small animals and as far as I know two have already been adopted and they are working on socializing them with people. It’s been a while since I’ve gotten an update from them unfortunately so I don’t know much other than that but still good for them.
I know only have five birds, my cockatiel Jesse Bird, and four parakeets which I’m hand taming so they can get out of the cage and actually exercise like they’d need to.

On the topic of the parakeets I was wondering if anyone could help me with that, I know I’ve mentioned it before many times but I’ve actually made some progress lately. They’re all interested and fine with my hands at this point, one of the budgies can step up on command now( Thundery ), R.R is mostly interested in biting my hand in a interested nonviolent way, I learned Sherbert’s a little talker, and both Sherbert and Stormy seem rather fond of each other.

Since I’ve mentioned all these things I guess I should get into the problems; I was wondering if it was normal for RR to bite me like that, it’s kind of hard but she doesn’t seem violent whatsoever when doing it.

Thundery is constantly trying to get out of the cage any chance he gets, I trust him and all considering he steps up just fine but the other budgies still haven’t caught up yet. I don’t want to leave them behind or give one more attention than the others.

And here’s another one of my famous stupid ideas. While I don’t want to let Thundery do something the others aren’t able to I actually think it’s a good idea if I let him explore outside the cage. He and RR have gotten kind of territorial over my hands when they are in the cage. If another bird goes near they go into a fight with them and each other. I feel like if Thundery is focused on something else outside of the cage I can get the others caught up without them fighting.

Should I do that or just continue as I am and try to compromise? Any advise would be very much appreciated.

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
The biting is normal, no worries! Parrots will grab your hand before they step up to see if it's sturdy, and just to taste it. This is called "beaking" and almost all parrots do it.

Hope to see some pictures of the lil ones!

Stevetomobs

Strolling the yard
The biting is normal, no worries! Parrots will grab your hand before they step up to see if it's sturdy, and just to taste it. This is called "beaking" and almost all parrots do it.

Hope to see some pictures of the lil ones!
8D9D33DF-F1C2-4E6E-9475-065CAD39EF80.jpeg

I don’t know if you meant this birb specifically but here’s Jesse sitting on my lap as I type this.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I think it would be fine to work with Thundery outside the cage! And maybe you can do a week with him, then choose another to work with for 3 days, then another, etc.... they will probably follow by example! (If he does it they will)