• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Small rusting on our cage already?

Paoputrees

Meeting neighbors
Hi hi!

I have had the prevue Hendrix flight cage for almost 2 years (I can’t find the link I bought from now but its the largest one pictured on the right below, that I could find for three of my cockatiels)

Its wrought iron and powder coated and well reviewed but its already got two small rusty spots that I could find. The rust comes off pretty easily though, and is in spots where the bars meet.

I realized the cage is a litttttle bit bendy, because its so big. So maybe the powder coating got rubbed off

do I need to buy a new cage or get it powder coated? Or is cleaning off the rust enough? It doesnt seem to be chipping, just small rust spots. This cage was pricey as far as powder coated cages go and getting it repowder coated will be just as pricey in my area. If the coating only lasts 2 years because the cage is a tiny bit bendy i don't know if its even worth it

I can’t find a large flight cage thats comparable in size other than the prevue hendryx, so I don’t know if you guys have suggestions on cages to replace it with that will be more sturdy and less likely to rust?

not sure what to do, this is the first time Ive seen rust on a bird cage. Does anyone have any suggestions? I really dont want to have to downsize, the birds are really happy together in that size cage. Maybe an option would be to get a cage thats the same size as the one on the left since its a little less bendy, but I feel like it might not last very long either since its the same type if cage otherwise

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If it cleans up easily I probably wouldn't opt to replace yet. You could try to clean those areas with 50/50 white vinegar and water and see if that helps, too.

soundsfun

Walking the driveway
My cage has also developed rust spots here and there. I place toys, perches and food bowls strategically to block my budgie from getting his beak anywhere close to those spots.

Paoputrees

Meeting neighbors
Oh thats very good information, thanks everyone! I wasn’t sure how much of a health risk the rust spots would be. Ill give cleaning it with vinegar a go and the oil, and try covering it with something if needed