• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Small Pet suggestions????

Status
Not open for further replies.

robin's my baby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
Oh yes, they really are!!!

But, I am allergic to them, unfortunately. . . So I need a pet that doesn't really give off allergies. Maybe a reptile?
hairless rat :hehe:
crested getco i used to have one best little guy ever

Kermit

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jacque
i would say a small snake or lizard or maybe even a tarantula. i have several tarantulas and while most of them can't be handled(though any T shouldn't be handled much since their so fragile and if they were to jump or fall from even just a very small height it could kill them) but their really interesting to watch and they come in lots of pretty colors

here's one of mine...

in 2nd pic has a couple legs up and fangs slightly spread cause she was grooming her legs

she is a female brazilian giant white knee and a great eater(thinks anything that moves in her cage is food). her name is Eudora. tarantulas are eally great just misunderstood like snakes. and there is a really good T forum i know of if you choose to go the eight legged route

drop

Just keep in mind that hairless does not necessarily mean hypoallergenic. I am allergic to cats and Sphynx bother me just as much as any cat. That is because, alot of the time, it is not the hair we are allergic to but certain proteins in their dander and saliva. I don't know if it goes the same for small animals and where the root of most allergies towards them lies, but I can only imagine that it is very possible that you will still be allergic to a hairless variety if the fuzzy one bothers you (if is the actual animal and not its bedding, that it)

Last edited:

cgreenaway

Real Name
Claire
Definitely suggest a Bearded Dragon. I may have a biased suggestion but they are excellent pets and fun to hold and watch and love. They love to just chill out on you (warm spots are best) and love attention and mine has a funny attitude that just makes my day. :) Also a Skinny Pig is another suggestion. I love guinea pigs and have had 3 in my life and they are funny and cute and if you get a Skinny Pig they are hypo-allergenic cause they have no hair. Good luck with your decision!

1parakeet

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessyca
i would say a small snake or lizard or maybe even a tarantula. i have several tarantulas and while most of them can't be handled(though any T shouldn't be handled much since their so fragile and if they were to jump or fall from even just a very small height it could kill them) but their really interesting to watch and they come in lots of pretty colors

here's one of mine...

in 2nd pic has a couple legs up and fangs slightly spread cause she was grooming her legs

she is a female brazilian giant white knee and a great eater(thinks anything that moves in her cage is food). her name is Eudora. tarantulas are eally great just misunderstood like snakes. and there is a really good T forum i know of if you choose to go the eight legged route
Oh what a pretty spider!!!!:laughing12:

I actually was thinking about a tarantula as a possibility. I figured that I wouldn't be able to handle one very much if I got one, but I also thought that it would just be interesting to own one. But, at the same time, I wasn't really sure how much I would really be able to observe. Are they really active? I figured that it would be fun to watch them eat and stuff.

I did a tad bit of research, and from what I read, they are pretty low maitenence. I didn't really read anything about complicated temps (like you have to keep them at exactly 85 degress) or humidity. Housing seems pretty easy if they don't need any special lamps or anything, right? And I also read that when they are older they don't need to eat everyday.

Now, if my mother would go for a pet spider. . . :shrug3: that might take some convincing. Maybe. . . Hmm. . . Are they costly at all? I think a pet spider would be really cool! And it may not be a bad thing that they can't be handled. . . Cause honestly, I'm not sure if I would be all that comfortable holding one. . .

Hmm. . . Any more general info you can offer on spider owning, please? :)

Hypancistrus

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
We have two T's. We don't handle them, but they require VERY minimal care. Provide a shallow water dish. Mist occaisionally. And feed them once or twice a week, a couple crickets. Crickets here run $.09-$.11 a piece at chain stores. Easy care.

Kermit

Real Name
Jacque
there are certain T's that are more active then others. like the one i posted pics of is always usualy doing something(like trying to get out of her enclosure) but i do have a couple who act like pet rocks most of the day.

if you go eight legged and wonder what kind to get i would say a common/guyana pinktoe, chaco golden knee, braziliian black, or mexican red knee as good beginners though the pinktoe needs both higher humidity and lots of venilation and suffer from SADS(sudden avic death syndrome) their great little T's that are docile.

lots people recommend rose hairs..i don't...i have two and both are super bi polar one minute sweet as sugar then a heartbeat later POed and flicking hairs and fangs spread and out. and they like to go on fasts for long periods of time know of one who fasted for an entire year. they do live a ling time though...have a spiderling(young/baby T) rose hair who's 4 this year and barely an 1 1/2" they grow super slow and live up to 20 years if female

www.arachnoboards.com is a great T forum lots of info and nice people

Last edited:

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
whoa, you should warn a girl before posting spider pics. :p

I think corn snakes and lizards make really tight pets!

The spider on the other hand. I mean, if that sucker gets loose what is your Mom gonna do if it runs across the floor?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

Oh yes, they really are!!!

But, I am allergic to them, unfortunately. . . So I need a pet that doesn't really give off allergies. Maybe a reptile?
How much money are YOU willing to spend on this pet?

Reptiles are EXPENSIVE!!!

The initial cost, and making sure their housing is PERFECT or they'll die, and learning the species.

In my opinion, a reptile is NOT a pet you should buy lightly. Many people do and the poor animals die :(

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
If your interested in a REPTILE, please visit:

repticzone.com

or

ball-pythons.net

Please please please do your research if you get a reptile. And make sure the housing yo get is is indeed appropriate for it.

Someoen mentioned a ball python. I have to disagree. Ball pythons are needy. They need a large but small enclosure. A 39QT tub is the best size for a full grown ball python.

A 20qt tub is the best thing to house a baby into. A baby is a bp that is between 15-22" in length and a snake who readily eats.

You'd need a tub (I do NOT recommend tanks for ball pythons, they are burrowing snakes and like to be hidden!)

You will need a heating pad, a thermostat, a hygrometer, 2 hides, proper bedding, etc.

I can help you out a lot if you need more info on ball pythosn, but both the site above are GREAT reptile site, the ball python site isnt just about ball pythons. MANY experts there!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

Oh what a pretty spider!!!!:laughing12:

I actually was thinking about a tarantula as a possibility. I figured that I wouldn't be able to handle one very much if I got one, but I also thought that it would just be interesting to own one. But, at the same time, I wasn't really sure how much I would really be able to observe. Are they really active? I figured that it would be fun to watch them eat and stuff.

I did a tad bit of research, and from what I read, they are pretty low maitenence.

Depebnds on the Tarantula. Some are VERY high maintenance. If you want to start out on Tarantualas, I recommend. ROSE HAIRS. BEWARE THOUGH, that ALL hairy tarantulas will THROW HAIRs at you if they feel threatened. If you hodl them it must be SLOW movement, no petting, and know i they jump to the ground, they will very possibly die.

I didn't really read anything about complicated temps (like you have to keep them at exactly 85 degress) or humidity. Housing seems pretty easy if they don't need any special lamps or anything, right? And I also read that when they are older they don't need to eat everyday.

Some need a lot of heat. Find out the species of T you want and do research on that species.

Now, if my mother would go for a pet spider. . . :shrug3: that might take some convincing. Maybe. . . Hmm. . . Are they costly at all? I think a pet spider would be really cool! And it may not be a bad thing that they can't be handled. . . Cause honestly, I'm not sure if I would be all that comfortable holding one. . .

Hmm. . . Any more general info you can offer on spider owning, please? :)
For my rose hair Tarantula, I had a 5-10gallon heating pad, and kept him in a 10gallon tank with fake plants, and 2 hides, and ASTRO DIRT.

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard

1parakeet

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessyca
Wow! Thanks for all the spider info!!!

But. . .

unfortunately, I don't think my mother is up for the idea. I kinda asked her about it and she was pretty set on NOT letting one into our house. . . Ha. Something about ". . . with all the money I pay to keep insects out. . ." Haha. . . Not that tarantulas are just crawling around our backyard. :p

But cha. Although the info you have provided makes me very curious and pretty interested in owning one, my mom just won't go for it. :( In fact, she is pretty set on not letting ANY more animals into the house. Which is understandable. ~''~

I wonder. . . will my DAD let me get a tarantula at his house??? Well. . . his apartment? I mean, I don't remember them saying anything about NOT being able to keep large spiders as pets. And it probably wouldn't be an added on pet fee to our rent. . . I don't know if he would go for it though. He might. But then again, I don't go over to my dad's that often so I'm not sure if he would be okay taking care of a giant spider. . . Not that it would really be that BIG to start out with. I think it would be fun to have to freak him out. :)

But my dad has NEVER let us have small pets. Because for some reason he thinks that the type of responsibility it takes to put a plate in the dishwasher is the same responsibility it takes to keep an animal alive! FYI: I don't put my plates on the counter because I am irresponsible;I do it because I am lazy. V_V I mean, if I saw that a hamster had no food or water, I would GIVE IT food and water! And plus he is cheep and probably doesn't want to pay for it. And since I don't have a job (and can't get one for that matter -_-. . .) I couldn't pay for it my self! Even if I wanted to!

That, my internet companions, is just unfair!

I wonder, do any of you guys have horrible allergies to animals? Do you know how bad it sucks?!?!? Like today I was in Petsmart and a woman was asking us if we had ever had pet rats, and we had (before we knew we were allergic to them. We quickly found out that we were though, ) and just talking about what wonderful little animals they are made me sad. BUT! Because we ARE highly allergic to the little guys, we can't have them. :cry: Do any of you know how bad that sucks? Cause if you do. . . well it just sucks!

Also! I saw a baby chinese water dragon today at the pet store! Possibly the cutest little lizards--EVER!

Anywho, I started rambling on in this reply. Just kinda typing my ideas, y'know? Venting? So as of now, a tarantula is out. But thanks for the information and resources guys. ^u^ If anything, I got a kick out of learning all that info about them. I also ran into a picture of a camel spider. . . *shudders* ugh! Those things have HUGE fangs! Never will I want to share a bed with one a those things!

So, thanks for the info, sorry that this reply was just rants and rambles!

Thanks again!

Ps.
I'd still like suggestions. Just for ideas of future pets. ^u^ And a fun little research project!

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I will second what other have said about the rats- in my experience, people are far more often allergic to the bedding, and then react to the animal because they're covered in allergens from the bedding than they actually are allergic to rats (or other small mammals). Believe it or not, it actually can be true with cats too, where people are allergic to the cat litter/dust that gets on the cat and not the actual cat's fur or saliva. Not all cases, certainly, but it does happen.

1parakeet

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessyca
I will second what other have said about the rats- in my experience, people are far more often allergic to the bedding, and then react to the animal because they're covered in allergens from the bedding than they actually are allergic to rats (or other small mammals). Believe it or not, it actually can be true with cats too, where people are allergic to the cat litter/dust that gets on the cat and not the actual cat's fur or saliva. Not all cases, certainly, but it does happen.
I'm actually not sure what it is. All I know is that if I let the little guys crawl on me, I get hives. At one point I thought that it might be their sharp little claws digging into me and making me itch. . . But I really am not sure. I just had an allergy test done. . . I wonder if the tested "rat" on me? I'll review the paper work.

Either way, me mum is allergic to them. And my dad won't let me get one at his house if he knows that I am allergic to them. Psh. . . trying to keep me "healthy." :rolleyes:

So I will go review the test results and see what it says if they tested rat on me. . .

Thanks! ^u^

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I love love love rats, but if that's not an options, Beaded Dragons are awesome lizards. I've had 2 and really like them. Like Mercedez said though, reptiles can be expensive.

Hypancistrus

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
Just as an FYI, it may be a bad idea to keep spiders if you are having the house exterminated with sprays. Those sprays are dangerous for all insects and arachnids, including t's. I know when we had mites, and had to treat several of our snakes, we had to move the spiders to an entirely different room because even the miticide was dangerous to them. I'd be cautious with that anyway.

Water dragons can be great-- they are cute and look like baby iggies. But they do get large (2'+) and require fairly expansive digs as adults. Think like 3' x 18" x 4' tall. They like to poop in their water and have to be able to soak. They eat insects most of their life and you need to provide a variety of insect types for them to munch on.

Beardies, leos and cresties are a way better option for a first time lizard. You might also consider a blue tongued skink. There are several species. They are a bit more expensive, more exotic, but care is about as simple as a beardie and they don't require quite as much in the way of heating because they are a often more temperate species. They are easy to handle and quite calm once they get used to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.