• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Small or Medium Pellets

Avian Rook

Meeting neighbors
I have a pair of 8 month old cockatiels I give them medium sized pellets which seems to get powdered or they make a pop sound and crumbles and most of the pellets i feed gets wasted like this.So i was wondering if i gave them small sized pellets could I reduce pellet wastage ?

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Parrots tend to be quite wasteful when it comes to pellets. Maybe try the smaller pellet (same brand) and see if that helps with the waste....

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Most pellets have similar or same ingredients and formula for the various sizes. If they will eat the smaller one it's usually no issue :)

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
I'd give the smaller ones a shot! My Meyers and Rose Breasted actually eat the same size (medium) because my Too likes all things small. :shrug:

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If they won’t eat the smaller ones, you can always carefully try to save the powdered pellet dust and use it in recipes. If it’s dirty you can’t save it, but if they just like to crunch up the pellets to dust and you get in there in time, sift out the dust and collect in in a zippy bag. Add to seeds and make a mash or bake it up into birds bread.