• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Small bird in a small box

Ezrielle

Moving in
so a few months ago a friend told my mother that a friend of hers had a love bird that he wanted to get rid of ASAP. I thought I would take her with the intention of giving her to a friend of mine. my mother went to pick her up, when she got there the guy carelessly handed her a small shoe box. Inside was a small four month old terrified Dutch Blue lovebird. needless to say when I saw her I fell in love with her. I decided to make her my class pet. Now 3 months later she is healthy and happy, and while she is the best class pet, she is not the ideal pet for me. In the classroom she is awesome. the kids pick her up and pet her she actually flies down to the floor during playtime to be with the kids. It seems it is just me she hates. She runs from me if I try to pick her up, she bites me and shrieks at me. Despite all this I take her out everyday and try to play with her I even take her home on the weekends make sure I spend time with her then. I try to bribe her with treats that she will not eat, but she eats out of the childrens hands. I can get her to perch on my finger and step up 2 or 3 times before she bites me then flaps to the floor and runs away.
What can I do to make her like me?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Just keep doing what you are doing. I hope they are not using cleaners etc at night in the classroom when she is there alone. Leavingher there all the time kind of scares me.

Ezrielle

Moving in
The night cleaner is very careful with her, and only uses lysol wipes in my class and not near her. And evidently he gives her treats too, as i found a half nibbled carrot friday morning. But i am with her till 6pm and then i take her home one Fridays.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
While we bird parronts love our fids and will do everything to defend and protect them, some of us do have fids that want no part of being a cuddly fid. Is your little one friendly with any other adults or only with the children? If so, maybe there's something in her very young history that happened so that she (for now) doesn't trust any adults. Any time one of us takes on a bird who was someone else's we never know exactly how that birds history went, no matter what we were told. Sometimes actions speak louder than words. You've had her for a short time and hopefully she will learn that you are not the human she is afraid of and angry at. :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

Ezrielle

Moving in
Yes she only likes children. I am trying to be very patient with her.

Happynme

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Try getting on the floor and acting as they do. Perhaps also.have the children hand her to you....sit next to you...play with your hair ect.....the children can teach her that she is ok with you.