• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Small animal oxbow toys safe?

imnotgrandpa

Meeting neighbors
I found these small animal toys but just want to be sure the materials are safe for conures. Here’s the ingredient list. I’d really appreciate any feedback!

Materials: corrugated paper, corn leaf, schima superba wood ball, sisal, raffia, vegetable-based dye, non-toxic white glue

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Usually they are safe, yes. Not all are. This one is likely safe

imnotgrandpa

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for your reply. I am wondering about the schima superba as I can’t find anything one way or another about it. Do you have any experience with this material?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thanks for your reply. I am wondering about the schima superba as I can’t find anything one way or another about it. Do you have any experience with this material?
It's a type of Chinese evergreen that is used for a lot of generic cheap "craft wood" shapes. Unless they specify it's made of maple or birch, it's likely schima wood. It's sold a lot at hobby lobby etc.

MC_Hahn's

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marie C.
Not sure if this helps, but here's my experience regarding these toys...
I haven't had that toy specifically, but my parakeets and cockatiel enjoy the oxbow toys. At the rescue I volunteer at, the smaller birds (keets, tiels, etc.) often have some oxbow toys. They usually seem safe, based on the ingredients/materials. I avoid the ones with baked hay treats.
Oxbow offers a variety of textures and styles, and the toys are a lot cheaper than those made specifically for birds, which is a bonus :)

That being said, I have guinea pigs, so if the birds don't like it (or if I have any doubts) it goes to them.