• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Slowly becoming a dressage horse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SallyQZ

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
My new horse, Panama, was trained as a charro horse originally - you know, the dancing stallions that you see in parades? This has made it a bit of a difficult transition to the concept of dressage. He is used to big bits, big spurs, and the need to prance around in apparent high spirits at all times.

:horse2:

I've been working since December trying to teach him to use his hindquarters properly, to round his neck and reach down into contact with the bit, and to relax his back and allow it to swing while he's moving. He is used to holding his head super high which stiffens & hollows out his back. The muscle on the underside of his neck is so overdeveloped that it has been an uphill battle to get him to relax his back and start using the muscles on the top of his neck.

We're slowwwwwwly starting to get it! It will take a few months before he is strong enough to maintain the correct use of his back & hind end, but we're off to a good start. The first photo shows us at the beginning of the ride, head held high & proud. :D

The last 3 pics show a more desirable carriage, although we seldom hold it for very long. We go from too high, to just right, to curling behind the bit, and repeat many times throughout our ride.

He'll get it eventually.....:dancing:

Attachments

Last edited:

Parrotadise

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
Panama is gorgeous wow it's takes time to retrain their brain, I had a thorobred and making him turn right was impossible but in time he learned not to fight going right lol Good Luck :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
He is gorgeous! I'm sure he will get the hang of it :D

SallyQZ

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
Thanks! Yes, it has been one step forward, ten steps backwards. He has a great work ethic, but I've found that horses will always return to their original training at times of high excitement or stress. So, if anything is new and exciting, the head pops up and the back stiffens. :rolleyes:

It's hard to be patient. I want instant results, yet I know that it will take many steady weeks of work to develop it correctly. That doesn't stop me from chomping at the bit and wishing that we could just leap ahead to winning ribbons in the show ring! :D

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow! He is gorgeous!! Congrats to both of you!:laughing12:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
He is beautiful! I am glad that things are going well!

Matt

GreyGirl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Taylor
Wow what a stunner! And I understand your pain! I've had my girl for about a year and lets just say dressage is not our strong suit. We do eventing and she LOVES the jumping phases- just eats them up! But when it comes to dressage, we are both a bit green. We did our first sanctioned show last weekend and we got a 36 in dressage (a 64 in dressage language- in eventing the numbers work backwards lol), so we've come a long way but we still have a lot of room for improvement. Keep working on it though, your boy will get the hang of it! :) He sure looks flashy!

Now if only my eyes weren't so squinty. Lol.

SallyQZ

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
Wow what a stunner! And I understand your pain! I've had my girl for about a year and lets just say dressage is not our strong suit. We do eventing and she LOVES the jumping phases- just eats them up! But when it comes to dressage, we are both a bit green. We did our first sanctioned show last weekend and we got a 36 in dressage (a 64 in dressage language- in eventing the numbers work backwards lol), so we've come a long way but we still have a lot of room for improvement. Keep working on it though, your boy will get the hang of it! :) He sure looks flashy!

Now if only my eyes weren't so squinty. Lol.
I would give my left arm for a 64% score! :D

Your mare is gorgeous! I'd love to see some jumping pictures! I used to jump, but retired from it a few years ago. I figured I was getting too old, plus I broke my back in a jumping accident 12 yrs ago and just can't risk another bad fall. Figure I'm safer if my horse isn't hurling his bulk over fences. But I sure miss jumping a LOT! :(

GreyGirl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Taylor
Thank you! I leased three others before her, and for some reason we just really clicked. I love her to bits! We really enjoy jumping. Of course since jumping is her thing we do dressage six times as much. Lol. But I'm starting to enjoy dressage a lot more as we are getting the hang of it. I'm sorry you don't jump anymore, but your boy looks like he'll sure make a fabulous dressage horse! To not completely hijack your thread, I created an album of jumping pictures for you, as oppossed to posting them here! :)
http://forums.avianavenue.com/members/greygirl-albums-ari.html

SallyQZ

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
Wow, nice pics! You have a lovely automatic release - and your mare is so bold over fences. I can see the bond between the two of you! :heart:

Sandy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sandy
Wow, what a handsome fella. I love watching dressage. My daughter did western and a little bit of Dressage before other things moved to the front of the line.

Teasha

:eek: He's gorgeous! I miss having a horse and riding. He really is beautiful!

SallyQZ

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
Thank you! He has a strong personality - he's my first Andalusian, so maybe it's a breed characteristic - so we've had our struggles lately.

When he's good, I'm thrilled with our progress. When he's bad, I wish I would have stuck with my original plan to get a less "hot" horse, like a Quarter Horse or a Paint. :D

FreeByrd

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I'm not a horse person..... so I don't really know what the purpose of dressage is or what you are supposed to aim for.... but I just want to say that he's just LOVELY!!!! I loved him in all the photos.... and I loved Ari's horse too. They are magnificent creatures and their muscles are breathtaking!!! :heart:

SallyQZ

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
The purpose of dressage is to have a highly trained athlete who is capable of great physical feats - all without any obvious cues from the rider, and to do so in harmony with gracefulness and obedience. As the upper level movements require great balance and strength and flexibility, not all horses & riders are capable of doing those movements. We're at the bottom of the training scale, so we're just learning to walk, trot, and canter in a balanced manner - learning to be forward and supple and obedient.

It's the "obedient" part that we're struggling with currently! :D

I like the structure and challenge of dressage, but more than anything, I want a partnership with my horse. I want him to do things for me because he trusts me, because he likes the physical challenge, and because he is my partner - not because of whips, spurs, or implied threats. I also want to do trail rides, maybe a little jumping, some horse camping, everything! Sticking with the show ring alone is too rigid and political for me.... :)

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Beautiful and alot of hard work and patience on both parts.

FreeByrd

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
horse camping sounds lovely.... We have a state park here in Tennessee (Chickasaw State Park) that has an area for horse camping/trailers/etc. It is always packed with people who are obviously having a GREAT time and I find myself envious of their lifestyle..... :rolleyes:

Conmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Helen
Hi! I have been in and out of the horse world all of my life. My "peak" was showing Arabs at class A shows, mostly country english pleasure. I loved it. Still involved, but not like I used to be. (Many injuries, I know, no excuse). Horses are the most magnificent animals in the world. So majestic. I know very little @ dressage, just keep going, I'm sure you'll have him where you want him soon. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.