• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Slowing down

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Just wondering if anyone with an older parrot noticed when their fid started slowing down. Gracie and Bo are going to be turning 18 this winter and we have noticed they are napping a lot more now all of a sudden. Gracie doesn't fly and follow me from room to room anymore instead I get yelled at for leaving the room to go to the restroom. My poor hubby gets yelled at when he tried to change out of his work clothes when he gets home lol. I enjoy all the cuddle time I am getting these days but just wondering when did your fid start slowing down?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Not so much age, but every time that Jasper would go through another bout of serious illness she would slow down. The struggle with illness would slow her down (in an accelerated way) much like I would imagine when a bird gets older. Hank was 34 when he died and had become very fond of his naps during the last two or three years of his life.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I wish I knew...Zia naps a lot but supposedly Bitty is older. He has that hunched look that my elderly birds had but he is over 20. Zia came from a hoarding case so there isn't any information on her.

:hug8:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My tiel started napping more around 18. Of course that's also around the time he had his stroke. I don't really remember if he was napping more pre-stroke or not. I think senior nutriberries are helpful. They have supplements which are good for older birds.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
My tiel started napping more around 18. Of course that's also around the time he had his stroke. I don't really remember if he was napping more pre-stroke or not. I think senior nutriberries are helpful. They have supplements which are good for older birds.
I still miss and think of him also! :heart:

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Gracie gets the senior berries and Bo likes the berry pellets. They both nap during the day a lot but once it's time for me to get up for work it's like the call of the wild in my house. I bought a heating element for Gracie since her cage is little bit away from the heater and we are still trying to get the wi-fi on the thermostat to work properly. They seem to do pretty good so far with the crazy heat wave we are having again this week and we are keeping the house at 77 or trying to at least.

@Hankmacaw how old are GW supposed to live for in good health? I know Hank had a bit of a go with all of the illnesses he had but he was so loved and cared for by you. :xflove: