• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Slightly warped nail on one footed cockatiel's good foot. Otherwise very healthy.

Etymorphic

Checking out the neighborhood
I'm unsure how it happened but my cockatiel named Clipper must have snagged one of his back toe-nails on something and slightly warped it. I don't want him to have more issues so I am unsure what to do, it wasn't overly long as far as I can tell as the vet just trimmed them. It seems not to bother him and is not effecting the actual toe itself at the moment but thought I'd seek advice about it just in case.

He just lost his left foot about 5 moths ago due to his old (now replaced) cage trapping his foot in the water door due to my unfortunate ignorance about cages with improperly locking feeding doors. He had no issues for the 4 years I had that cage before but he got spooked while drinking and the door slightly opened and trapped his foot. The good news is that I nursed him back to full health over 2-3 months and he seems to be very happy once again after healing.

I would also appreciate any a general advice about caring for a one footed cockatiel/bird in general, thanks.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
So sorry he lost his foot but glad he;s healed & getting around OK>
Watch him closely. Since he only has one foot its important.
What do you mean by warped? Bent? Maybe a photo would help to see if its a concern.
Could just be spreading his foot out to balance?

Does he have a platform perch where he can rest?

Hopefully you will get some good advice & tips to help him along.

Etymorphic

Checking out the neighborhood
So sorry he lost his foot but glad he;s healed & getting around OK>
Watch him closely. Since he only has one foot its important.
What do you mean by warped? Bent? Maybe a photo would help to see if its a concern.
Could just be spreading his foot out to balance?

Does he have a platform perch where he can rest?

Hopefully you will get some good advice & tips to help him along.

Thanks for the response! If a normal nail stays straight as it protrudes from his toe like this: | His one nail after protruding like: | for about a half a millimeter it twists slightly like: \

Clipper has a hammock that he rests on sometimes basically a piece of fabric pulled tight between two perches.

I attached an illustration of the current problem to this reply hopefully it helps.

NailIllustration.jpg