• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

sleepy quaker?

sourbirdy

Moving in
hello, so i got my first quaker just yesterday afternoon! so far he loves to walk around and play on my shoulder. he also LOVES to sleep in the bend of my arm. i know hes probably stressed and tired but i wanted to know if this is a sign of a problem? thank you!

also, he loves seeds but is not interested in pellets at all, any reccmendations for pellet brands?

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
For pellets I use Harrison's

Last edited by a moderator:

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
start weighing him, you’ll know if he loses weight, that can be a bad sign. is his poop normal? if he’s playing and drinking normally napping isn’t an issue, but do make sure he’s getting 10+ hours of sleep, for the seed to pellet diet you can fill up bowls w 10% pellet 90 % seed and slowly transfer him over till it’s all pellets. if that doesn’t work you can put the pellets in with water wait till they’re soft and mush them so they stick to the seed and your bird has to eat pellets for seed, all while increasing the amount of pellets as time goes by. but you NEED a scale for changing diets to make sure they’re eating (weigh them in grams) congrats on your baby!!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How old is he?

It took my Quaker 6 months to get on pellets, so don't give up right away. I have had the most luck with Zupreem Fruity.

A well bird visit is always a good place to start!

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
one of my conures slept a couple of times today she does occasionally

sourbirdy

Moving in
start weighing him, you’ll know if he loses weight, that can be a bad sign. is his poop normal? if he’s playing and drinking normally napping isn’t an issue, but do make sure he’s getting 10+ hours of sleep, for the seed to pellet diet you can fill up bowls w 10% pellet 90 % seed and slowly transfer him over till it’s all pellets. if that doesn’t work you can put the pellets in with water wait till they’re soft and mush them so they stick to the seed and your bird has to eat pellets for seed, all while increasing the amount of pellets as time goes by. but you NEED a scale for changing diets to make sure they’re eating (weigh them in grams) congrats on your baby!!!
ill start weighing him for sure! thats a good idea ty. he was much more playful and alert after his nap and even started eating his pellets! his poops this morning are much better than yesterday, less water more solid. he seems to be doing better, ty for the help and suggestions!! :D

sourbirdy

Moving in
How old is he?

It took my Quaker 6 months to get on pellets, so don't give up right away. I have had the most luck with Zupreem Fruity.

A well bird visit is always a good place to start!
yea i have the fruity zupreem! my budgies used to love them, he seems to be more interested in them so im pleased! im taking some time today to look for exotic vets and will see about setting up a visit for him!

also hes 4 months! born 4/21.

sourbirdy

Moving in
one of my conures slept a couple of times today she does occasionally
yea he just, loves to chill i think? or maybe hes nervous for now, but he seems to love pets and naps so maybe hes just, a chill guy!