• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Sleepy cockatiel

Raghad

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
raghad
Hello! Few months ago my 4 year old cockatiel became always sleepy and I could see the change in behaviour. She would eat and drink then sleeps right away on her perch. Unfortunately there is no vet at all that want to treat birds in my country (Kuwait), I searched everywhere to do blood tests for her but couldn't find a place to do it. So I lost hope and decided to give her amoxicol that is put in her water for 5 days in case she has an infection but it did nothing to her. So she kept being like this till I decided to give her multivitamin (aviform avigold advance) and she became so much better and active like before so I stopped it after 3 weeks. Now it's been almost a month since I stopped it and today I noticed that shes always sleeping again. Should I give her the multivitamins again? How often should I give her? It says daily on the bottle but I'm not sure if its okay to give it to her daily forever. Its a yellow solution in her water. Im thinking maybe every weekend? Unfortunately she only eats the cockatiel seed mix, refuses veggies and everything else but she does have a mineral block in her cage. Also, I've noticed she might have mites unfortunately so I put for her the mite drop on her neck, didn't wanna use the spray since she may inhale it or get it in her mouth. I used the drop 3 times, 3 weeks apart for each one.
Sorry I know it's long, thank you :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This place treats birds according to the web page. Vets in Kuwait

Please do not give this bird medication or vitamins unless a vet has examined. Keep her warm and hydrated in the meantime.
A bird that eats a seed only diet may end up with liver complications. Look and read about how to accomplish this in our food forum.

Raghad

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
raghad
This place treats birds according to the web page. Vets in Kuwait

Please do not give this bird medication or vitamins unless a vet has examined. Keep her warm and hydrated in the meantime.
A bird that eats a seed only diet may end up with liver complications. Look and read about how to accomplish this in our food forum.
Thank you for your reply. I did call these places and they told me they no longer treat birds. They are cats and dogs vets only

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Could you find a Bird breeder in your area that could help

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How do her droppings look? And when you say she's sleepy, how often? Is she puffed up and lethargic all day?

Raghad

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
raghad
Could you find a Bird breeder in your area that could help
I did talk to a bird breeder 2 months ago when she was like that. He told me to give her a medicine called "4 in 1" but I gave her amoxicol instead cuz it sounded safer. I think the only way to know what's wrong is by doing a blood test and non of the vets here do it

Raghad

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
raghad
How do her droppings look? And when you say she's sleepy, how often? Is she puffed up and lethargic all day?
She was fine yesterday but today she slept almost all day long. I'm getting her out and putting her food bowl in my hand so she eats. She was like this 2 months ago too and became good after the multivitamin and now she's back at it. I'm thinking of starting the multivitamin again to her. Her droppings seem fine but she does have some undigested food sometimes in them, not very often though

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She was fine yesterday but today she slept almost all day long. I'm getting her out and putting her food bowl in my hand so she eats. She was like this 2 months ago too and became good after the multivitamin and now she's back at it. I'm thinking of starting the multivitamin again to her. Her droppings seem fine but she does have some undigested food sometimes in them, not very often though
Undigested seeds could be a sign that there's something wrong in her digestive track and maybe she's not getting enough nutrients? That's a guess on my part. Do you have access to any on-line vets? I know here sometimes you can find vets that do on-line consults. I've never used one but for instance, there's one at www.askaveterinarianonline.com.

@enigma731 ? @Birdbabe ?

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I really can't help unless you find a way to get tests or a consult. I'm sorry access is so difficult.

Raghad

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
raghad
Undigested seeds could be a sign that there's something wrong in her digestive track and maybe she's not getting enough nutrients? That's a guess on my part. Do you have access to any on-line vets? I know here sometimes you can find vets that do on-line consults. I've never used one but for instance, there's one at www.askaveterinarianonline.com.

@enigma731 ? @Birdbabe ?
Thank you so much for your reply, I appreciate it. Problem is that they really can't help me without doing tests. I went everywhere to see if I can find a place that does tests, I even went to the zoo but they said they don't I'm tried giving her veggies since she's young but she always refuse. I wanna try pellets mixed with her food hopefully she wouldn't notice it. I'm thinking of getting her roudybush pellets, maybe I'll get her the low fat one just in case she may have liver disease. Idk if that's a good option to go for. I'm also gonna start the multivitamin again tomorrow. I'm scared but I really have no choice :(

Raghad

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
raghad
I really can't help unless you find a way to get tests or a consult. I'm sorry access is so difficult.
I'm looking everywhere. I even went to the zoo but they said they don't do blood test I'm gonna try giving her low fat roudybush pellets just in case she might have fatty liver, I hope she eats it. I'll also start the multivitamin again

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm sorry you're having such a hard time finding someone. How is she today? You could try sprouting seeds or making birdie bread and adding pellets to that. And keep trying the vegetables. It took my first cockatiel months before he would start eating them.

Raghad

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
raghad
I'm sorry you're having such a hard time finding someone. How is she today? You could try sprouting seeds or making birdie bread and adding pellets to that. And keep trying the vegetables. It took my first cockatiel months before he would start eating them.
She only started being sleepy again today morning and afternoon. Right now (night time) she's more active than morning so I'm glad. Imma see how she is tomorrow morning. I will continue trying, wish she could see that it's for her benefit. Thanks alot for your replies :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Maybe some probiotics would help her. I'm sorry your having a hard time finding an avian vet, the pellets definitely would be easier to digest..sending prayers..

Raghad

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
raghad
Maybe some probiotics would help her. I'm sorry your having a hard time finding an avian vet, the pellets definitely would be easier to digest..sending prayers..
Thanks alot!! :)

Raghad

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
raghad
Hello! Unfortunately my cockatiel is still having undigested seeds in her droppings. I'm giving her roudybush pellets instead but I'm not sure if it's enough, she looks more active and energetic when I give her pellets but im not sure if it's cause its making her hungry cuz when I put some seeds in her bowl she goes crazy and eats them all. I'm aftaid she will starve if she continues not digesting seeds well or if I just give her pellets. I wonder if I can give her birds baby formula instead. Any thoughts? And any suggestions for probiotics? I'm sorry this is long, and thank you :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How about some apple cider vinegar, unfiltered? It tends to help the GI system of a bird or human. Mix 1 quart of water with 2 tsp. of the ACV. Give that in the water bowl until the quart is used up. Store it in the fridge in the meantime.