• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sleepy Bird and Droppings

BirdMum

Strolling the yard
First of all SORRY FOR THE SPAM

We haven't kept birds for a long while and when we did there wasn't anyone to do a whole lot of research so they unfortunately would pass before their time.

So with the two birds we have now I may be a little paranoid but I want to make sure my babies are okay and healthy. Now Frankie my 1 and a half year old IRN is going through a molt or a partial molt according to opinions in another thread I created.

Because of his molt, Frankie didn't really want to be pet but he still loved sitting on shoulders while he preened himself and split pin feather sheaths. I read this was normal and expected but I'm wondering if his current behaviour is due to his molt or if it could be a possible illness. I also noticed he would sort of vibrate or shiver too as he puffed.

Lately he's been sitting in his cuttlebone a lot and puffing up and keeping one foot tucked into his feathers as if he was trying to warm up. I also noticed a few loose stools but the texture seems to change with each time he goes. I'll attach photos of Frankie and his droppings for opinions in a moment.

Again thank you all for your help and advice so far :heart::heart:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
To the vet! Better safe than sorry:)

BirdMum

Strolling the yard
I agree it's better to be safe than sorry but I would rather not go to the vet until I'm sure there's something that could be wrong. If it's normal behaviour or if it's a minor issue id rather try a home remedy first from the Holistic section of the forum.

I'd like to catch whatever it is early. His droppings actually seem normal to me but I think I'm worried because I'm used to seeing the white part separate to the green part. With my lovebird he would normally do a white drop with the green almost swirled around it so that's why I'm a bit hesitant since these almost seem mixed up

IMG_20190211_140619.jpg

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Birds go to vets for wellness checks . That means nothing is suspected to be wrong.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Yes, you could go for a wellness check, or call the vet to get their opinion first. His poops look fine to me but I'm not an expert

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Have you changed his diet recently? More fresh veg and fruit can change the appearance of waste. There is nothing wrong with going to the vet for a wellness check. I would go to a vet first before consulting holistic posts. The vets advice will be based on sound diagnostics and expertise. You can always ask your vet for holistic dietary inclusions and know these items will help your bird, instead of hoping they will.

BirdMum

Strolling the yard
He seems to be in good health. His sleepiness doesn't really bother me at the moment I was just concerned if there was also something wrong with his droppings but they seem fine now that I've taken a little to step back and reassess. He's still alert and eating well I do think it's more due to his molt.

He's got a great diet and he always tries new foods!! He's been on Vetafarm Nutriblend pellets, and has a wide variety of fruits and vegetables each day with some walnuts in between (his absolute favourite treat so far) I give him a little bit of seed mix with his pellets on Sundays as a small treat too.

He eats kiwi fruit, apple, peppers, sweet potato, dragon fruit, nectarine, banana, coconut; everything we offer he's tried and eaten! I just wish his brother, Peach the lovebird were this good too :laughing2:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Pi eats anything and everything! He loves flat beans, it is so cute he works on it for about 20 minutes. A varied diet will make varied poops!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Poor bird.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@BirdMum It is probably be a good idea to set up an appointment with an avian vet for a wellness exam. It sounds like you just got him so it will help set up a baseline and vet relationship. It is also good to ensure health so that you can have a piece of mind that Peach will also be safe from illness.
The vet can also give you some feedback on dietary additions or reductions that can help you out.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
@BirdMum It is probably be a good idea to set up an appointment with an avian vet for a wellness exam. It sounds like you just got him so it will help set up a baseline and vet relationship. It is also good to ensure health so that you can have a piece of mind that Peach will also be safe from illness.
The vet can also give you some feedback on dietary additions or reductions that can help you out.
Seconding this...a good relationship with your AV is a priceless thing....;)