• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sleeping trouble?

DuckyLou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lindsey
Hi All!
My pineapple conure Ducky had been home with me for about a week. At night she sleeps in a smaller sleep cage in my room. I’m a light sleeper so I’ll wake up throughout the night and while laying there I can hear Ducky walking around or climbing the cage bars and just not sleeping. I know she needs 10-12 hours of sleep so I’m worried she’s not sleeping enough. The room is completely dark, I cover her cage, it’s quiet except for a ceiling fan I have on each night. The cage is large enough for her to spread her wings and has one toy, food and water and some wood perches. When I first put her to bed and cover the cage she calls out for a few minutes then settles down, but like I said I hear her up and about throughout the night. This is my first bird so maybe I’m reading into it and she just needs time to settle in? Any thoughts/suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Some birds are movers at night and some aren't. It's normal and just depends on the bird. One of my budgies is occasionally like this and will move around to get water and have a snack, or just to move to another perch because he wants to. Unless your bird is up all night with no sleep I feel you have nothing to worry about.

Edit: also it's good to have a little noise at night because birds often associate complete silence with danger. You could give her a night light so that she can see where she is going when she does move. Birds have terrible low light vision and often won't know where they are when they move when it's dark.

Last edited:

DuckyLou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lindsey
Some birds are movers at night and some aren't. It's normal and just depends on the bird. One of my budgies is occasionally like this and will move around to get water and have a snack, or just to move to another perch because he wants to. Unless your bird is up all night with no sleep I feel you have nothing to worry about.

Edit: also it's good to have a little noise at night because birds often associate complete silence with danger. You could give her a night light so that she can see where she is going when she does move. Birds have terrible low light vision and often won't know where they are when they move when it's dark.
Thank you so much for the advice I appreciate it!