• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sleeping problem

Hsn

Meeting neighbors
Hey. I've got two cockatiels, a male and female. I bought two of them but male died and i bought another one like a week ago. I have a sleeping issue with him. At night female one comfortably sleeps, with head tucked between feathers but male is not sleeping at all. I've never seen him napping during daytime and he don't even sleep at night. As i recently bought them so currently i'm not taking them out of the cage but they are active during daytime and sometimes chirps as well. So i'm guessing he gets tired but he still refuse to sleep. Is it anything to worry about or what? Kindly guide me as i'm relatively new with birds.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue :)

Does he have his own cage?
If not, does he seem to get on with the other bird?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m just curious as to how you know he’s not sleeping, do you record him?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:agreed:
Not all tiels sleep with their head tucked, the same as not all humans sleep on their side. Birds can also sleep with an eye open. I'm sure if he wasn't sleeping he'd be showing obvious signs of exhaustion by now.

Hsn

Meeting neighbors
Welcome to the Avenue :)

Does he have his own cage?
If not, does he seem to get on with the other bird?
Yes both are getting along quite well and they are bonding.

Hsn

Meeting neighbors
I'm not recording it. But no matter what time it is whenever i look inside the cage he is wide awake. I've never saw him napping in daylight either. Usually cockatiel tuck their head inside the feathers but he don't even do that.

Hsn

Meeting neighbors
:agreed:
Not all tiels sleep with their head tucked, the same as not all humans sleep on their side. Birds can also sleep with an eye open. I'm sure if he wasn't sleeping he'd be showing obvious signs of exhaustion by now.
Oh okay. He is very active tho, always like sprinting from one end to another and sometimes chirps as well.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Oh okay. He is very active tho, always like sprinting from one end to another and sometimes chirps as well.
I don't think you have anything to worry about in this case. Just relax and enjoy your tiels ;)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Not all birds tuck their heads in their wing when asleep, especially in the day. They also wake up easily when you come near or if there is a slight noise. I agree with @Ripshod that it seems like he has to sleep at some point. I would cover the cage at night so he doesn’t have to be so alert and can relax easier, unless they are afraid of being covered.

Hsn

Meeting neighbors
Not all birds tuck their heads in their wing when asleep, especially in the day. They also wake up easily when you come near or if there is a slight noise. I agree with @Ripshod that it seems like he has to sleep at some point. I would cover the cage at night so he doesn’t have to be so alert and can relax easier, unless they are afraid of being covered.
I do cover the cage and they don't mind it. Tho they are cockatiels and they tend to have night freaks or something like this so i covered all the cage except a little gap in front.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Yes. How ignorant of me.
:welave:

Reactions: Hsn