• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sleeping positions?

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
Here’s something I learned the hard way. See photo below:

I adjusted the chain just now to show everyone the BAD way to hang this type of toy. See that long length of chain?

When Archie got his first one, he went nuts chewing and hanging on it. As he ripped away each piece of wood the chain got “longer.” (Get it?)

Well, on his very first one, it got so long and he was having so much fun that the chain twisted around his foot! His screams were horrific, my screams were worse (thank God I was home), and it was real hit and miss, but I was able to safely get him untangled.

Since then, as he removes pieces of wood, I pull up on it and reconnect it so there’s only like 1” of ”exposed” chain on it. I connect it to the SIDE of the cage to be able to adjust its length. More important...

It’s connected to ANOTHER chain, making it REALLY long, so if he ever gets hung up again...maybe a toenail in the chain! ...I can gently lower him to the cage floor without even having to put my hand in the cage.

(I know. I’m brilliant.)

715FF136-F5B7-423D-8457-673EA41DC232.jpeg

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Positioning of toys is crucial too. You want to make sure the toys are easily accessible, especially at first. Put it next to/above a food dish, or dangling where it can be easily touched from a seated position on a perch. A bored bird MIGHT decide to fiddle with an unliked toy that's within easy reach, but if it has to make an effort to get to it? Nah. Not worth the trouble.

In the image above, the toy is well-placed in relation to the food bowl, but it's below the rope and (hard to tell with the perspective) may be too far from the perch to be easily reached. For Archie, the placement is fine, because he already loves the toy, but for a bird that's already uninterested? It would likely never be touched.

Once you've progressed past the point of "toy is terrifying," put it someplace the bird likes to hang out. Make it easy for them.

Also, be sure to rotate toys. Could be he's just bored with your toy. Replace it with something else and stash it in the closet for a few weeks. When you pull it back out, it will be like having a brand-new toy again.

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
Positioning of toys is crucial too. You want to make sure the toys are easily accessible, especially at first. Put it next to/above a food dish, or dangling where it can be easily touched from a seated position on a perch. A bored bird MIGHT decide to fiddle with an unliked toy that's within easy reach, but if it has to make an effort to get to it? Nah. Not worth the trouble.

In the image above, the toy is well-placed in relation to the food bowl, but it's below the rope and (hard to tell with the perspective) may be too far from the perch to be easily reached. For Archie, the placement is fine, because he already loves the toy, but for a bird that's already uninterested? It would likely never be touched.

Once you've progressed past the point of "toy is terrifying," put it someplace the bird likes to hang out. Make it easy for them.

Also, be sure to rotate toys. Could be he's just bored with your toy. Replace it with something else and stash it in the closet for a few weeks. When you pull it back out, it will be like having a brand-new toy again.
Remember that I lowered it here just to show the danger of the chain!

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Our CAG prefers plastic toys & acrylic toys. She's not big on wood toys. She likes the plastic nut/bolt foot toys, large acrylic pacifier, human baby keys, plastic links, etc. I put the foot toys in a clear plastic bowl in her cage. She removes them tosses them around, chews on them, sticks them in her food & water dishes. Her hanging toys are all mostly located against the cage bars & are reachable from the perches. She' isn't big on toys hanging from the top of her cage.

I'd suggest getting a few plastic foot toys & see if Paco will play with them. Start there. If he likes them then get a few hanging toys made with plastic & acrylic toy parts. Our CAG really likes the acrylic toy parts best.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Remember that I lowered it here just to show the danger of the chain!
Oh yes. It was just a really good illustration of what I was discussing, so I used it as a reference.

• Love
Reactions: Ira

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
Archie learned to play fetch last week. It’s a freaking pisser.

I have these little plastic balls, slotted, with a bell inside. And a little rubber ball with tiny “spikes” coming out of it.

I started rolling one gently to him on his playstand, and it took him just a few minutes to get the idea. He started throwing it across the room. It was a joy and blessing, but now it’s a pain in the bum! He won’t stop!

BTW:

Do you have a playstand set-up?

Last edited:

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
The stacks of wood slices I have for him is on rope so I don't with a chain problem. I'm afraid if I hang the toy above food bowl, will he stop eating. He likes to sit on the back of his cage near the window, I had the toy sitting up there and he stopped going to the window.. Uggg.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I find that the size of the toys is also important. Paco might feel threatend by th big ones.
Oh I think you are absolutely right. I just tried the string of thin blocks, and put his favorite cracker in it. Attack mode then he was in a crappy mood and went after my hand. He steps up now and climbs down to the floor for a visit, that took us a while to get that far.

I really think after looking at his 2 toys in the cage that he came with, I believe you are correct. The size is too big. Will try something smaller.

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Ok. Loki loved, loved, loved this one, it awoke something in him!
Here's the pic for size comparison;
If Paco's afraid of the whole toy you can try a block at a time..