• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sleeping Pattern

wiji

Moving in
Real Name
Lui
Hi everyone, I am owning a Meyer's Parrot for about a couple of months now. It actually just flew inside my room and decided to just adopt it because I failed to find the owner several times already.

I am new to bird forums in general but I have observed his behavior quite some time now. So whenever my Meyer sleeps, he doesnt close his eyes. Yes, that's it he doesnt. He does when napping during day time, but when its time to normally sleep at night, he just stand on his perch, eyes wide open without moving until the next day. So I had searched about torpor.

So basically upon searching definitions on the internet I came up with this article
Now could some bird experts out there verify if my Meyers undergoes this kind of state? Or is there something I should be concerned about?

Thank you for your responses,
Wiji

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My first thought would be that he doesn't feel safe. He naps during the day; in the cage where he sleeps at night or somewhere else? Is his cage near windows where he might see movement outside and thus be too scared to fully sleep?

I've never encountered this; I hope someone comes along who can help you. Congrats on your bird btw, and welcome to the forum! :)

wiji

Moving in
Real Name
Lui
My first thought would be that he doesn't feel safe. He naps during the day; in the cage where he sleeps at night or somewhere else? Is his cage near windows where he might see movement outside and thus be too scared to fully sleep?

I've never encountered this; I hope someone comes along who can help you. Congrats on your bird btw, and welcome to the forum! :)
Hi thanks for your fast response. So to give you additional information. I live in an apartment, so basically my apartment seats at the center of two mini buildings, and currently my room is facing a very tall fire wall. The cage setup is quite near to my windows but I can fairly assume that no other birds or any organism will be able to pass by that space to scare him or make him uncomfortable.

About napping, he naps on top of his cage, he naps inside his cage with doors are open or not. And for the past couple of months i let him sleep inside his cage where I assume he's under that torpor state. Now since I have him for a couple of months now, I tried to put on a Perch on the side of his cage and let him sleep there. He's been sleeping outside his cage for 3 days now. And I can still observe that he has the same sleeping pattern whether he's inside or outside the cage.

His sleeping time is around 8 pm, and I don't fail to give the darkness he needs when sleeping. But sometimes I need to turn on my lampshade on to work on something. Another observation is it doesn't matter whether I turn my lampshade on or give him a complete darkness, he is still, I assume at torpor state.

EDIT: When he's napping, he acts like a normal napping bird with eyes closed and head tucked over his back. So I really wonder why is he's sleeping eyes wide open at night LOL.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
couple things.. 1. when sleeping the room should be dark or cage covered with a breathable material. shouldnt be seeing the eyes, it means you are disturbing its sleep. 2. should be no sound in the room either. have a set time lights go on and off and try not to disturb once sleep has begun. they will sleep when they feel secure. from sun down to sun up should be asleep and left alone. no lights period. the bird should always sleep safe inside its cage where it can feel secure and warm. on occasion if you must enter its room (not cage) do so quietly and quickly leave. very important you let them get full rest. they are quick to open eyes they know you are coming before you do.

wiji

Moving in
Real Name
Lui
couple things.. 1. when sleeping the room should be dark or cage covered with a breathable material. shouldnt be seeing the eyes, it means you are disturbing its sleep. 2. should be no sound in the room either. have a set time lights go on and off and try not to disturb once sleep has begun. they will sleep when they feel secure. from sun down to sun up should be asleep and left alone. no lights period. the bird should always sleep safe inside its cage where it can feel secure and warm. on occasion if you must enter its room (not cage) do so quietly and quickly leave. very important you let them get full rest. they are quick to open eyes they know you are coming before you do.
I believe that I was able to that since when I work, I usually sleep between 10am - 5am with complete darkness and silence, he usually sleeps at 8pm to 8am. But upon checking after I wake up, his eyes still wide open. Before posting this here, I researched and tried several things... except for going into vet... Im really convinced that I did what I have to do in order to keep him safe and secure during sleep but still, eyes wide open. Guess I have to consult this to a vet after our country's lockdown.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Torpor is usually seen when a bird goes into survival mode because it's cold or there isn't enough food to eat. It's not a routine, nightly thing.

My guess would be either that:
  • you're waking your bird up - he is sleeping but only when you're also sleeping. Birds are very good at waking up quickly and can look like they haven't slept.
  • your bird doesn't feel relaxed enough to sleep. I would recommend putting a comfortable, natural wood high up in the cage and covering the cage at night.

If you're worried, you can set up a baby monitoring kit to observe him when you're not in the room.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
I believe that I was able to that since when I work, I usually sleep between 10am - 5am with complete darkness and silence, he usually sleeps at 8pm to 8am. But upon checking after I wake up, his eyes still wide open. Before posting this here, I researched and tried several things... except for going into vet... Im really convinced that I did what I have to do in order to keep him safe and secure during sleep but still, eyes wide open. Guess I have to consult this to a vet after our country's lockdown.
try using a sheet or any other breathe able material to cover the cage at bedtime until morning. it will help to feel more secure and calm. I personally dont think its a medical issue but a security/safety one. you wont ever walk into a room and see a sleeping bird they wake up the second they hear a foot step. As long as its eating drinking and poop looks like what it should i wouldnt worry about a vet. try the above.

wiji

Moving in
Real Name
Lui
Torpor is usually seen when a bird goes into survival mode because it's cold or there isn't enough food to eat. It's not a routine, nightly thing.

My guess would be either that:
  • you're waking your bird up - he is sleeping but only when you're also sleeping. Birds are very good at waking up quickly and can look like they haven't slept.
  • your bird doesn't feel relaxed enough to sleep. I would recommend putting a comfortable, natural wood high up in the cage and covering the cage at night.

If you're worried, you can set up a baby monitoring kit to observe him when you're not in the room.
Thank you for the additional info about torpor. All points are noted and will try asap.

wiji

Moving in
Real Name
Lui
try using a sheet or any other breathe able material to cover the cage at bedtime until morning. it will help to feel more secure and calm. I personally dont think its a medical issue but a security/safety one. you wont ever walk into a room and see a sleeping bird they wake up the second they hear a foot step. As long as its eating drinking and poop looks like what it should i wouldnt worry about a vet. try the above.
I am covering his cage at night to be honest, but like tka said, maybe I am really waking him up.... Since I am living only in an apartment, thus we share the same room.... Im really hoping that he is not disturbed by the sound of my cooling fan..

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:welcome2: Lui! Hoping nothing is wrong with him. He's only been with you for two months - I am guessing that when he feels more relaxed with you, he will start closing his eyes in your presence. Birds are prey animals so have to be alert. White noise like a cooling fan is a great idea - it helps to drown out potentially scary noises like thunder, rain or fireworks, etc.

wiji

Moving in
Real Name
Lui
:welcome2: Lui! Hoping nothing is wrong with him. He's only been with you for two months - I am guessing that when he feels more relaxed with you, he will start closing his eyes in your presence. Birds are prey animals so have to be alert. White noise like a cooling fan is a great idea - it helps to drown out potentially scary noises like thunder, rain or fireworks, etc.
Hi, Ive seen him tucking his head around his back already for a few seconds before I woke him up. (My bad) my guess is maybe its the comfort issue since its very hot in here during these times because of summer. But now, the weather is slowly transitioning into much cooler environment because rainy period is going near.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
Hi, Ive seen him tucking his head around his back already for a few seconds before I woke him up. (My bad) my guess is maybe its the comfort issue since its very hot in here during these times because of summer. But now, the weather is slowly transitioning into much cooler environment because rainy period is going near.
although probably still disturbing the sleep the cover helps in the sense of feeling more secure. what they dont see wont bother them. just have to try and be as quiet as possible. they fall back to sleep if not startled as long as its decently quiet.