• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sleeping on the bottom of the cage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BirdieMama

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nancy
Still new and figuring out this parronthood thing.

We cover Nancy's cage at night to help her get some quiet and some darkness. I am starting to think that she's been sleeping in the back corner on the bottom of the cage. I'm not sure if she just happens to be there in the morning when I peek or if she's there all night.

When she naps during the day, she does that on her perch with her little beak tucked between her wings.

Is sleeping on the grate at the bottom of the cage kind of odd? I'm wondering if covering her up might be making her scared since she was not covered at her previous home.

Any thoughts?

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
My zon sleeps on the highest perch in his cage, but first thing in the morning he climbs down to the bottom of the cage and seems to wait for me to come into the room. I don't cover his cage. You could try not covering her and see how she does with that.

BirdieMama

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nancy
The cover is dark blue. That could be a little scary I guess. I left the cover off tonight to see if she stays on her perch. If that doesn't help, I'll move one of her perches down to see if she just wants to be lower. Good idea.

Your cockatoo is a cutie. How long has she been plucking? We have one at work that recently started plucking.

toos&macaws

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Still new and figuring out this parronthood thing.

We cover Nancy's cage at night to help her get some quiet and some darkness. I am starting to think that she's been sleeping in the back corner on the bottom of the cage. I'm not sure if she just happens to be there in the morning when I peek or if she's there all night.

When she naps during the day, she does that on her perch with her little beak tucked between her wings.

Is sleeping on the grate at the bottom of the cage kind of odd? I'm wondering if covering her up might be making her scared since she was not covered at her previous home.

Any thoughts?
We actually have a macaw that likes to sleep on his belly. We now have him sleeping in a carrier everynight that we cover and he makes the cutest sounds in there. He just likes to be on the soft pillows. We also have a platform that we covered with a thick towel that is hung in his cage. He spends more time on that than on any of his perches. You just never know what those crazy little guys like. I would try not covering her to see what she does and go from there. My cage covers are a dark color also, but that is because there is so many windows in their room that in the morning it gets pretty bright pretty early and they like to sleep in (until maybe 7:30 am).

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It's not that odd to me either. Scummo the tiel liked to sleep on the coffee table next to my briefcase. He also plopped right down on his belly. I made him a platform up high and even gave him the briefcase but he did not like it up there. He was allowed to choose his own place to sleep and he still chose to sleep down on the coffee table which was only about a foot off the floor.

As long as your sure he is not sick I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just make sure he has a very low perch or just something comfy to sit on.

BirdieMama

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nancy
Well, I left the cover off last night and she was waiting on her perch this morning. She must have slept pretty good because she is in the best mood. I'm apparently her people this morning too because she's stuck like glue to me.

Her cage is in a room with a big picture window so the light coming in in the morning is the main reason why I chose a dark cover. We try to stay in the back of the house in the evening after she goes to bed so that she isn't disturbed by us.

I'm moving a perch down lower today and we'll see what she does tonight. I don't think she is ill or anything. I was just worried she might be scared or something.

Thanks for the input! :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Instead of covering her cage you should be covering the window instead to darken the room.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I agree with John- covering the window is a better option than covering her cage if she's in a room where it's possible. My zon has a platform with a fleece on it in his cage because he likes to nap laying on his belly too. It's apparently not all that unusual, but gave me quite a turn when I found him doing it too!

Status
Not open for further replies.