• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sleeping on Bottom of the Cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jess

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jess
Hi There,

I realise that normally this would be a serious cause for concern and a vet trip would be the first option (which she had a couple of weeks ago incidentally - all good!!) but it is something Ruby has done since I had her. She was a very young baby when i got her and its how youngsters sleep until they learn to perch properly so i didnt think anything of it. But Ruby is now 5 months old, very strong and healthy. She can climb around her cage and will have naps on her perches, but every night when she goes to sleep for the night she gets right on the bottom of the cage and settles down there. The cage is a weird one, there are two seperate trays at the bottom and there is a raised bit straight up the middle seperating the two trays. That is what Ruby perches on to sleep.

Im not concerned about it, i think its just a quirk but i thought i'd ask you guys. Has anyone else had a bird that slept on the bottom of the cage? Is it something she might grow out of maybe??

Like i said, its nothing worrying, its actually very cute bless her! But odd!

RandomWiktor

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ren
My Green Cheek Conure, Aspen, has always slept on the bottom of his cage at night. He actually makes a big newspaper "tent" which he then crawls under, and sleeps in there. I think that behavioral changes more than consistent weird behavior are a cause for alarm; I think your bird is probably fine. But, obviously be sure the cage bottom is kept DILLIGENTLY clean.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Does she have a snuggle hut? It sounds more like a quirk, but I know my sun conures LOVES her snuggle hut and enjoys crawling in and sleeping there at night :)

Jess

Real Name
Jess
Thanks for the replies.

She does have a snuggle hut attached to the bars near the top of her cage which she loves to play in, but doesnt sleep in it at all, its just another toy to her lol

Being a lory i have to be pretty obsessive with the cleaning of Rubys cage anyway so thats not a problem! Glad she is not the only strange parrot on here!!

Kathy

Rollerblading along the road
Have you thought about adding a snuggle hut to the bottom too?

Jess

Real Name
Jess
Well, i really want to encourage her off the bottom of the cage if possible lol

Deeda9999

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lisa fisher
My prev conure used to sleep at the bottom of the cage every night. Nothing we did could lure him from the bottom. So we gave up trying and would just put a baby blankey on the bottom at night and he would go to sleep under it.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Scummo slept at the bottom his areas for more than half his life (12 or more years). His favorite spot was down on our coffee table next to my briefcase so he could lean against it. He never lived in a cage and could pick where ever he wanted to sleep and that's where he picked. Weird bird!!! :D:D

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Scummo slept at the bottom his areas for more than half his life (12 or more years). His favorite spot was down on our coffee table next to my briefcase so he could lean against it. He never lived in a cage and could pick where ever he wanted to sleep and that's where he picked. Weird bird!!! :D:D

Lucky bird! I would love to do away with the cages and just give Ella and Archie free reign of the house. But Paul will have NONE of it. "NATALIE! They pooped on the COUCH! The COUCH! And I SAT in it."
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
Asher my TAG used to sleep on bottom of the cage in the corner. I put a snuggle down there for him and he would hide his head in it and ZZZzzzzz. Now he sleeps on a top perch in the corner.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Jasper likes to sleep on flat surfaces too. I guess it's just somehow appealing to some of them.

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
My Green Cheek Conure, Aspen, has always slept on the bottom of his cage at night. He actually makes a big newspaper "tent" which he then crawls under, and sleeps in there. I think that behavioral changes more than consistent weird behavior are a cause for alarm; I think your bird is probably fine. But, obviously be sure the cage bottom is kept DILLIGENTLY clean.

I would LOVE to see a pic of him sleeping in his newspaper tent, that’s hilarious. But I do agree, I would change the paper every night for him, make sure it’s very clean.

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
My tiel Daisy refuses to sleep in her happy hut and just loves to sleep in her treat bowl.. silly silly bird LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.