• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sleeping issues

Besrosario

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi guys,

I arrived here looking for recommendations about sleeping issues my Green Cheek Conure is having. Alex is a 7 yr. old yellow side spoiled lovely brat. I have to admit that the sleeping patterns at my home aren't consistent but he was usually sleeping pretty well, now he's having a tantrum when I place him on his cage to sleep and waking multiple times during the night. He does sleep in her regular cage, but at bedtime, we place a happy hut, where he sleeps, we cover most of the cage to keep it dark and warm, he eats a nice about of pellets before sleeping along with a water down organic chamomile tea (4:1). During the day he spends a little more than half the day with me and/or in a play gym, since he's really attached to me I have to split the time (intervals of about 2hrs in cage / 2 hrs out), since at some point he wasn't sleeping well cause he wanted to be with me all the time but now this ain't working. He recently had his annual check-up and the vet didn't find anything wrong. He's playful, has a hearty appetite (he eats a mix of seeds and pellets about 30%/70%, along with fruits vegetables and some occasional crackers, rice, pasta, and plain cereals). I'm really concern about his sleeping, he's constantly tired during the day and I know that not sleeping enough can affect his health. Do any of you had gone thru this? Any recommendations?

Attachments

Lady

Meeting neighbors
Has anything changed recently? Is his bedtime consisten even if yours aren't? I know when we keep our Amazon up past her usual bedtime she gets super cranky and we have twice as hard of a time getting her to settle for sleep. She's also extra wound up if she gets too many fruits.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Are you home more often lately, thus he's being more reliant on you?

I would recommend removing the hut. They are not safe for birds and can cause death.

Maybe try shorter intervals? 15 minutes in, 15 minutes out, etc.

Is Alex flighted at all? Target trained?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue :starshower1:

we cover most of the cage to keep it dark and warm
Have you tried covering all of the cage? Maybe something is waking him.

I agree with Monica about removing the fuzzy sleepy hut thing.