• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sleeping behavior

Quadriplegic

Walking the driveway
My feathered companion "birdbrain" got a new bird cage he has spent the past couple days investigating it and whatnot. Someone transferred all of his belongings so he could be more comfortable with them without everything being unrecognizable to him but I just noticed today for the first time as he was sleeping that before his perch was in the corner so he would kind of lean against the birdcage and put his head backwards in between his wings

Now he is sleeping on a different perch but instead of his head backwards it's leaning forward, I was just curious if experienced owners can please enlighten me and let me know if they have witnessed it.In his older bird cage he would always sleep in the same corner in the same position, but now that everything isn't different places I'm thinking maybe he just has to perch differently to stay balanced which is why his head is forward instead of backwards.

I have been browsing and reading all kinds of information some say that with their head backwards is normal and it's supposed to be the way that they are supposed to sleep but others say that it's whatever their preference is depending on how they are perched.I'm just curious as to what the longtime owners with experience have to say about it.

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Hello there Oscar.. so nice to see you posting again and to hear that Birdbrain got a new cage..I think there is nothing to worry about and that he is just making himself comfortable in his new cage.. our Sam often sleeps with her head forward or anyway she feels like it at the time. How are your gekkos?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Some of my tiels sleep with theyre head turned, some dont. Im sure once he gets used to his new cage, he will go back to his normal sleeping posture.:)

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Our bird does both, sometimes he turns his head sometimes not. I would not worry about it.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
All perfectly normal for a tiel. You should see our tiel sleeping situation. We have four tiels,and three tiel cages. The birds are in and out of all the cages all day, they really don't have a "favorite" cage to sleep in. Sometimes they spread out,and sometimes they all sleep together in one big gray and yellow blob-that's the best way of describe it.
And when they do sleep togrther, it's ALWAYS Goalie, Igor,Mocha,and Doodle-in that exact order, every time...:)