• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sleeping arrangement

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
I thought I'd come to ask the bird experts a question about my budgies sleep arrangements.

Flynn (male 9 months) and Charlie (female 4 months) have been introduced roughly 1 month ago, and they are getting along except for the occasional squabble, and have moved into the same cage EXCEPT for at night. As soon as the cover goes on, they fight, and cling to the side of the cage.

I now just let Flynn sleep in his old cage, which is also available. I don't mind this at all, but when they are seperated, they freak out and call for eachother desperately (despite being at each other's throats moments ago). Thoughts? Do I keep them seperated, or try again with sleeping in the same cage- are they likely to sort it out? I'm obviously not supervising them when the cage is covered? And why do they hate eachother when the cover goes on?!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Flynn (male 9 months) and Charlie (female 4 months) have been introduced roughly 1 month ago, and they are getting along except for the occasional squabble, and have moved into the same cage EXCEPT for at night. As soon as the cover goes on, they fight, and cling to the side of the cage.

I now just let Flynn sleep in his old cage, which is also available. I don't mind this at all, but when they are seperated, they freak out and call for eachother desperately (despite being at each other's throats moments ago). Thoughts? Do I keep them seperated, or try again with sleeping in the same cage- are they likely to sort it out? I'm obviously not supervising them when the cage is covered? And why do they hate eachother when the cover goes on?!
I would most likely try again with the sleeping in the same cage.
Fergus and Fiona were approximately the same ages yours are now when they began cohabitating.
If a male continues to try to get amorous with the hen to the point of exhaustion or something, yes, I'd keep them separate, but most likely he will be a gentleman about it (hopefully) when she resists advances.
How long does clinging to the cage go on after they are covered?

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I've separated them immediately! Do you think the problem is Flynn is harrassing her? Aren't they a little young for that?!
Certainly Charlie is too young to breed, but that doesn't mean Flynn might not try. (Especially at 9 months - teenager stage)
I have only seen Fergus try it once or twice (but who knows when I'm not watching),
and Fiona does a good job of letting him know his advances are not welcome.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Should I leave it a little longer before trying again? And how long should I leave them in the same cage if they are clinging to the side?
It seems I can't win, they aren't happy either way!

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Should I leave it a little longer before trying again? And how long should I leave them in the same cage if they are clinging to the side?
It seems I can't win, they aren't happy either way!
Have you considered covering all but leaving a gap in the front where they can see a bit of light if you leave a nightlight on, and they get darkness, but not total. Maybe that would be the best of their worlds! They're bound to have a preference, we just have to find the perfect scenario for them. Sweet babies. My nightlight stays on about an hour or so after they get covered, then I turn it off, but when they were as young as yours, it stayed on all night, like for a baby.

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
This may be just as much about the covering as it is whether or not they’re wanting to sleep together. Jo is about the same age as Flynn, and when she was still a single budgie I covered 3 sides of the cage nightly with never a problem. Once Loki was in the cage too, Jo started protesting (beeping at me) when I’d go to place the cover on. Now I don’t cover at all and they’re cool with that.
I will say they also bicker a bit every night during the “roosting hour”. I compare it to 2 tired children saying things like “Mom!! He’s breathing on me!” and “This is my perch, stop touching me!” :laugh: But once everyone finds the proper sleep spot (close to each other but not quite touching lol) they quiet down and are ready for bed.
They probably just need time to figure out what they like best, but if I were you I’d definitely give letting them sleep together another go :)

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't think Flynn is harassing her as soon as the cage is covered if he doesn't without the cover. I've never seen Merlin attempting anything toward Nova.
I'd rather think that Charlie freaks out when you cover the cage and might take it out on Flynn.
You could try covering only half of the cage, or not covering it at all.
If the openings fit, you could also have both cages facing each other with the doors open so they can choose where to go. If you cover Flynn's cage, since he is used to it, he could choose to go in his and Charlie might stay in the other if the cover is the problem.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I will say they also bicker a bit every night during the “roosting hour”. I compare it to 2 tired children saying things like “Mom!! He’s breathing on me!” and “This is my perch, stop touching me!” :laugh:
Ohhhhh - thank you for that Sunday laugh - I could HEAR Fiona saying - Mom he's breathing on me!!!

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
if they are fighting at bed time sounds like they are fighting for the higest spot if the perches are not high enough they tend to sleep clinging to the bars

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Thank you every one! I will raise the perches and try again tonight.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Flynn and Charlie (or Charlotte, I'm trying to extend her name!) have successfully slept in the same cage for over a week.

I don't know how Avian Avenue approved my solution is, but it's working for us. I think part of the problem is that Flynn is a very vocal budgie and talks himself to sleep, and Charlie finds this annoying. I've been getting Flynn out of the cage and letting him sit with me for half an hour while I watch TV while Charlie is covered. We watch some Tv, Flynn chats and shows off and relishes in ALL the attention. Then, I put him back in and physically put him on a high perch on the opposite side of the cage. By then Charlie is sleepy enough she is no longer annoyed and Flynn goes to sleep.

Its working for us!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Sounds like you found a good solution, both so that Charlie can get to sleep without bullying Flynn, and that Flynn gets the attention he wanted. Win-win!!

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
They still contact call for each other when I remove Flynn, but after a few minutes it settles down. This seems to be the best solution I can come up with.

Also, I get some extra budgie time!